• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"“The late and not so great.” says Michael Patcher about Satoru Iwata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davey Cakes

I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation. That's not going to change and I don't see why this should be a taboo.
True, honestly. But he did a damn good job beforehand. The Wii and DS were "right place, right time" but there were a lot of unpredictable factors afterward which didn't allow for such a safe approach to the generation afterwards.

It's not always like Apple, where you can make one amazing product and then pretty much coast for generations. The need to constantly innovate or not can be a big strain. Dealing with a fickle audience can be a big strain. Trying to read a market that's constantly changing can be a big strain. Yes, we can say Iwata was flawed as a CEO, but we can also recognize the tough position he must have been in constantly.

rackham

Banned
Not a fan of Iwata's business leadership either. I've hated Nintendo for a very long time and they've made it quite clear they don't give a shit about anyone over 10.

DMONKUMA

I feel like OP is trying to stir some shit.

Edit:Though that has more to do with the title of the thread then the issue itself, as I would phrase it different but eh.... Patcher is somewhat of an idiot so I wouldn't agree with what he said as well.

Just letting you all know.

I thought about making a thread for this a few days ago, then I realized Pacther was just being shitty on purpose to get more views for his show.

It's not uncommon, and not uncommon for Pacther, so I decided I wasn't going to be party to doing what he wants.

You don't have to pretend you liked the guy just cause he died, but I don't think you need to go sneaking in digs in at him either. Like, cool shit dude, you didn't think he was a great CEO, but he's dead now so continuing to reiterate it is a bit unnecessary, don't ya think?

Iwata confirmed alive and the greatest

Didn't need the Pachterism making it true, but good that such a fuckin monumental clown can have his own shitty meme confirm that Iwata is great.

The games industry would do well to have more visionary people like Iwata, and fewer (poorly performing) analysts like Pachter that get paid to make shitty predictions that are on par with message board squabbling.

Kyzer

Banned
I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation, while failing to comprehend the modern market. That's not going to change and it makes no sense to turn this into a taboo.

Okay well, that's not how you talk about it. You don't mention how you bad you think he was as a play on words on the "late and great" which is a respectful way of referring to someone who has passed.

I do find it amusing how many people will just throw decency out the window if it lets them express their dislike of a video game company.

Sure he died, but he did things I disagreed with, and that means I can be shitty about how I talk about him!

nded

It's not a huge deal and Pachter might even have a point, but throwing shade on a dead guy like this ain't a good look.

Not a fan of Iwata's business leadership either. I've hated Nintendo for a very long time and they've made it quite clear they don't give a shit about anyone over 10.

Is hatred your typical reaction when it comes to people and things that don't cater to you specifically?

One can be a great person and be totally valid to criticize, even if they've passed on. That's how we learn to not make the mistakes they made and the emulate the successes they pursued. You just have to phrase yourself carefully.

Satoru Iwata was a truly fascinating phenomenon in the industry that had credentials unlike nearly anyone in the Industry. He framed Nintendo's development attitude for years to come. One that I think itself is healthy to Videogames as a creative medium. It could have been problematic to Nintendo as a Business however, hence why one could criticize Iwata. But it's important to distinguish that and not conflate the two. Failure to do so will cause the message to never get across.

Akhe

Another Pachter thread, another no-context, click-bait title.

Good job, OP.

Oh-oh. I think this is a non-issue and OP is out to stir up shit.

Seriously? "To quote the late and not so great Iwata" it's all right? I mean, he said two or more thing about Iwata to be a bad CEO (which is perfectly fine) but the dude don't give Iwata a break.

carlsojo

Are you really asking why it's taboo to mock someones death in route to explaining why you think someone made bad business decisions?

I don't see it as mocking someone's death, he's just saying he doesn't think someone is that great. I'll delete my post.

Kyzer

Banned
Why is it such a taboo?

He was a great person, so its disrespectful to say the very least. "Late and great" is an endearing way of speaking of someone who has passed. "Late and not so great" is literally a play on that to emphasize how bad he is. Michael Pachter is a joke (an actual meme) of a wallstreet analyst. Fuck that.

I don't see it as mocking someone's death, he's just saying he doesn't think someone is that great. I'll delete my post.
I mean yeah, but he's doing it by using a play on words usually reserved to show respect for the dead. Flipping that around kind of implies mocking.

I mean, I don't agree with everything Iwata did at the end of his career either, but I can voice it without bringing up the fact that he died.
Well good thing he didn't.
Yes he did. How else would you describe flipping a term usually reserved for repsecting the dead to show that you didn't like him as a businessman?

Soulflarz

Banned
At this point I'm pretty sure this threads gone sideways in how we're responding
"Wow Patchers still trash" when normally people dislike him for his views, not this stuff. No need to just dismiss this with that, doesn't really allow any discussion. Then again, not too much for discussion here unless you want a thread on how Iwata was or wasn't good, but that's not what the OP is really about, so I digress.

As for my view, bad wording. We've probably thought more about his wording at this point than he did in saying it, but yeah, he'll probably see these replies and realize it wasn't okay to word it that way.

He was a great person, so its disrespectful to say the very least. "Late and great" is an endearing way of speaking of someone who has passed. "Late and not so great" is literally a play on that to emphasize how bad he is. Michael Pachter is a joke (an actual meme) of a wallstreet analyst. Fuck that.

I think that's why people in here have confusion. You're again countering him saying it with Iwata is great, which makes it disrespectful, except plenty of people don't think that- opinions aren't one sided. Hence "he's still an awful analyst, this is stupid" doesn't really express why it's okay or not.

Bad wording and obnoxious for the disrespectful aspect, not offensive on the basis he said it about a person a lot of people have mixed views on, or else you'd just have arguments about how good Iwata is, which would be a different thread entirely, I...think?

edit: to reword, I think it's valid to be annoyed at disrespectful language, which some in here are, but the vast majority are just annoyed because they disagree with his opinion and are using it to go "wow he was disrespectful to a great man!" which isn't really the original problem at all, since that's just stating his view. If you take offense to his usage of a "the late and not so great" towards any dead person though, that's a different story.

I too used to think adolescent male power fantasies were the only type of interesting games, then I turned 15.

Piers

I mean... Iwata did a very poor job of handling the company this generation, while failing to comprehend the modern market. That's not going to change and it makes no sense to turn this into a taboo.

This. People here were slamming Iwata before his death.

NYR

Pachter is an analyst and commented from a business analysis perspective. Google Iwata - what comes up first - Satoru Iwata, Businessman. Is it a classless thing to say because he is dead now? Yeah, a bit classless since he died and can't defend his legacy, but if he was alive, would threads talking about the downfall of Nintendo be treated differently?

Iwata was a CEO who saw his company crumble at his direction, in the face of competition despite a massive lead-in from last gen. His Wikipedia page has an entire section dedicated to "Financial downturn (2010–14)". His contribution to the industry overall is amazing, but as a businessman and leader, he led Nintendo down a horrible track that some seriously question if they will recover from, especially from a long term investment standpoint.

While I think the wording is bad, as an investor, Iwata was a not-so-great CEO.

Big One

Banned
Whether hardcore games like us like it or not, I do not think it's even remotely valid to criticize Iwata for his business decisions when he literally kickstarted a whole new generation of gamers with the Wii and DS. Because of those systems is one of the reason why mobile phone gaming is so popular today. Iwata was able to reach an audience never before reached by games before, which is a pretty astounding feat considering how niche video games still were even at that time. He made some bad decisions but I think his contributions to gaming far outweigh than his failings in gaming even in the business side of things.

Riposte

Iwata was a legend before he even took a seat at the board of directors.

Pachter is sad and deranged.

I too used to think adolescent male power fantasies were the only type of interesting games, then I turned 15.

His comment was dumb as a pseudo-defense of Pachter lack of tact, but this is a disproportionately stupid response.

WillyFive

Nonsense. If Iwata had a failure during his tenure; it was that Nintendo lost a huge chunk of kids to the other platforms. Nintendo wishes it had 10 year olds, they are all playing Call of Duty and Minecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom