• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 on low-end PCs

Izuna

Banned
I wanted to make this thread since Reddit hasn't jumped onto this config yet. The idea is to remove whatever possible from the game so you can be competitive with a PC that is lower than minimum spec. I hope Respawn incorporates a low-end PC setting in game to make this more accessible, but that's wishful thinking.

~~~~~~~~

TAAycNI.png

Don't be alarmed, remember we're targeting 60fps here. The low-polygon model you see here is due to the level of detail being as low as possible.

What is making Titanfall 2 hard to run on super low-end computers?
It's reliance on a minimum 2GB VRAM machine. If the game needs more than the VRAM available in your machine, it has some issue where it keeps trying to access more. Leaving you with a perpetual fps spike.

Sadly, this means you have to lower your settings as much as possible so that scenes with a lot of objects doesn't hit this issue. This is why people get such a boost lowering their settings from Insane to Very High (this problem was in the original).

First things first
You want to check your framerate somehow, so either use something like MSI Afterburner or refer to the PC Performance Thread on how to enable the game's fps counter.

Super Low-end PC Settings
IMO you want to keep the dynamic resolution oo, at 60, (which requires TSAA, don't try to do this without otherwise you'll get the worst kind of screen glitches) because you might need the resolution to drop below your target for a number of scenes. We also want V-Sync if you're targeting your monitor's refresh, so imo keep on Triple Buffering also.

Set everything to the lowest setting (disable shadows etc. set everything else to low)

Go to C:\Users\[USER]\Documents\Respawn\Titanfall2\local
and open up videoconfig.txt

"setting.mat_picmip" "4"
sets textures lower than low. any higher and it will default to High
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_base" "0"
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_multiplier" "0"
--
"setting.mat_depthfeather_enable" "0"
This should be the DoF when ADS setting, you can turn it off in-game, but do so here
"setting.r_lod_switch_scale" "0"
This tells the game to load the lowest polygon models no matter how close they are. Default is 0.6 -- you may not want this to be so low, come back and increase this if you hit your fps target

So far so good. However, this may not be enough. So we are going to add some things to this also.

mat_disable_bloom 1
mat_specular 0
mat_bumpmap 0
r_dynamic 0

I'm unsure if all of the above work, but something certainly does. A big chunk of fps gain happens here. These goes inside the squiggly bracket.

Now that that's done, the idea is to never change settings in-game otherwise stuff like r_lod_switch_scale will reset until you restart the game (providing you made the videoconfig.txt file Read-only).

You may wish to experiment with your resolution, however, so edit these to do so without changing anything in-game.

"setting.defaultres" "1280"
"setting.defaultresheight" "720"
"setting.fullscreen" "1"

I find the first mission where you meet BT to be very indicative of what sort of FPS you'll have in Multiplayer (when looking at the ship off in the distance).

If you hit 60fps and you want to increase the quality a little, my suggestion is to change the resolution higher or increase the r_lod_switch_scale to 0.6. Everything else, however, including texture quality, will make you hit your VRAM bottleneck.

~~

If you're lazy, copy this into your videoconfig.txt file: http://pastebin.com/9Hr4uFGw

I have it preset to 720p with 16x Anisotropic Filtering and 90FoV. If that's okay for you, just use this or change those settings accordingly. (70FoV is cl_fovScale 1.0 I think)

If the game loads in Windowed for some reason, just press Alt+Enter

~~~

This is the game running at 720p with everything on its lowest (with 16xAF and TSAA):
cGJI9Sj.png

Unless you are using my videoconfig.txt, please set everything in-game first, like your desired vsync settings, fov etc or dynamic resolution scaling, AA before editing it.

Izuna

Banned
"VideoConfig"
{
"setting.cl_fovScale" "1.3"
"setting.cl_gib_allow" "0"
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_base" "0"
"setting.cl_particle_fallback_multiplier" "0"

"setting.cl_ragdoll_maxcount" "0"
"setting.cl_ragdoll_self_collision" "0"
"setting.mat_depthfeather_enable" "0"
"setting.mat_forceaniso" "16"
"setting.mat_mip_linear" "1"

"setting.stream_memory" "0"
"setting.mat_picmip" "4"
"setting.particle_cpu_level" "0"
"setting.r_createmodeldecals" "0"
"setting.r_decals" "0"
"setting.r_lod_switch_scale" "0"
"setting.shadow_enable" "0"
"setting.shadow_depthres" "256"
"setting.shadow_maxdynamic" "0"
"setting.r_hbaoenabled" "0"
"setting.modeldecals_forceAllowed" "-1"
"setting.dvs_enable" "1"
"setting.dvs_gpuframetime_min" "15834"
"setting.dvs_gpuframetime_max" "16333"
"setting.defaultres" "1280"
"setting.defaultresheight" "720"

"setting.fullscreen" "1"
"setting.nowindowborder" "0"
"setting.mat_vsync_mode" "2"
"setting.mat_backbuffer_count" "2"
"setting.mat_antialias_mode" "12"

"setting.csm_enabled" "0"
"setting.csm_quality_level" "0"
"setting.csm_cascade_res" "256"
"setting.gamma" "1.375000"
"setting.configversion" "7"
mat_disable_bloom 1
mat_specular 0
mat_bumpmap 0
r_dynamic 0

}

. bolded for most important settings

also this config file has gamma set a bit lower (to match console settings I think)

Izuna

Banned
appreciate you posting this as i plan on picking this up later this week and my computer is doody.

I'll post what gets 60fps with an HD 520.

If you're looking to play Campaign, then it would be unacceptable to play with picmic higher than 2 or with the lod scale lower than 0.6 ;p

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Going to get a Surface Book i7 at some point down the line. Can't wait to see how it runs all of these games. Should do pretty well.

Izuna

Banned
Going to get a Surface Book i7 at some point down the line. Can't wait to see how it runs all of these games. Should do pretty well.

I am playing on my Surface Book. Is that the high-end one you're getting with the 960m or the OG?

Post here when you get it, there are some tweaks that are musts for a Surface Book.

Neptonic

I kinda wish the LOD went all the way down to basically a low poly quake look. That would make this amazing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am playing on my Surface Book. Is that the high-end one you're getting with the 960m or the OG?

Post here when you get it, there are some tweaks that are musts for a Surface Book.

Yeah the new 960m version. I certainly will but it may be a while. The past two months were pricey with PS4 Pro, PSVR, XBO S, SEK-3500 and about a dozen games. Probably going to wait until sometime early next year for the SB.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah the new 960m version. I certainly will but it may be a while. The past two months were pricey with PS4 Pro, PSVR, XBO S, SEK-3500 and about a dozen games. Probably going to wait until sometime early next year for the SB.

That 960m -- you don't need any of this mate. ;) PM me instead so I can help you with getting custom resolutions for the 3:2 screen and a high performance profile.

Vsync in an FPS? Not sure about that, unless you like input lag.

I'd rather no screen tearing.

---

NiqWl5V.png

Looks like with the HD520 (integrated i5 Haswell graphics) you can't hit 60fps unless you go lower than 720p. Perhaps 800x600 you will be fine, but I'd suggest just targeting 30fps instead.

However, you'll get EXTREMELY long loading times with this. It's not worth playing this way.

I didn't even think Source engine got screen tearing (at least CS:GO doesn't), but either way no input lag is going to net you far more frags than some minor tearing. Do as you please of course, just kinda weird considering it uses up resources and gives you mouse lag.

Izuna

Banned
Surface Book can run this game on low-end? Dam.............

The 960m version can do something like 900p with Medium settings I'd imagine.

The OG dGPU version, I can do the above with default lod_scale, at slightly higher than 720p and r_picmic 2 (low textures). It runs butter smooth 60 fps. The problem with the OG version is how this game relies on 2GB VRAM, so the engine forces stuff to be turned off if you want 60fps.

I didn't even think Source engine got screen tearing (at least CS:GO doesn't), but either way no input lag is going to net you far more frags than some minor tearing. Do as you please of course, just kinda weird considering it uses up resources and gives you mouse lag.

It tears like a mother fucker otherwise. The problem is that with these settings my Surface Book is going 100+fps one minute then 60 the next. Also, the Surface Book's screen itself has minimum lag as it is so it's much better than how it is on console hooked up to a gaming monitor anyway.

Also yeah, I'm playing with a controller here haha

I know that it's a longshot, but has anyone with a 650M tried this? I've been thinking about gettting the game but I'm not sure if my card can handle it

Izuna

Banned
I know that it's a longshot, but has anyone with a 650M tried this? I've been thinking about gettting the game but I'm not sure if my card can handle it

That's 2GB VRAM right? I don't think this page is for you. Straight up low settings should be fine. If not, these settings should work.

Be mindful that I'm concerned solid 60 here.

If it doesn't run, you can refund it on Origin within 24h

Vipu

Banned
I tried these but it doesnt take effect in game, textures still are medium and crispy.
I have set my file to read only after I save it too.

Vipu

Banned
Don't set the picmip to be too high, only 4 (if that's the issue)

I have it at 4 but it didnt look any worse.
Some commands seem to work like remove bloom and that lod thing so things look like polygons.

Also I still dont have any better fps when I use those things, still fps jumping from 100-144.
Without these commands it jump from like 90-144.

Xeon @ 4,2ghz, 6gb ram, gtx970
1080p

Izuna

Banned
I have it at 4 but it didnt look any worse.
Some commands seem to work like remove bloom and that lod thing so things look like polygons.

Also I still dont have any better fps when I use those things, still fps jumping from 100-144.
Without these commands it jump from like 90-144.

Xeon @ 4,2ghz, 6gb ram, gtx970
1080p

Ah, you're trying to get 144fps with this.

Sadly I don't think these things are for you. These settings are only necessary if you don't have enough VRAM (the streaming seems to absolutely destroy a machine if there isn't enough). I'm not surprised that there isn't much of a change for you.

Vipu

Banned
Ah, you're trying to get 144fps with this.

Sadly I don't think these things are for you. These settings are only necessary if you don't have enough VRAM (the streaming seems to absolutely destroy a machine if there isn't enough). I'm not surprised that there isn't much of a change for you.

Oh well, at least it gives me maybe a bit more stable fps and less dips with it so im happy.

Izuna

Banned
http://etf2l.org/forum/customise/topic-17728/

- according to this dude, you can get even lower quality Textures by adjusting LODBiasRange in Nvidia Inspector

Now, I know the Surface Book doesn't require this for performance, but it does actually make the game easier on the eyes in a Quake-like way.

it9P3Zsr.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what's causing the lighting to be so muted here, since the config is very similar to the one I posted, but perhaps there's something to it.

Top Bottom