• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

Kenpachii

Just checked the PC version and saw that they implemented DLSS and Framegen, now its actually playable. Maybe u should try it out.

You are not alone - a lot of people miss the ‘let’s just walk and see what I stumble across’ found in Skyrim/Fallout. I’m pretty sure they would have been aware of this whilst developing.
The way I think of it is like the movie Interstellar. You aren't outside of your ship wandering around for hours. You don't really have oxygen for that long, and on many of the planets you would die from radiation or extreme temperatures. I actually think one of the main issues is that you can wander for too long. If you land on a planet with hostile environment you really shouldn't be able to be out there for more than 5-10 min without starting to construct a habitat or adapt in some other way through gear modifications.

There's no doubt they need more variety in the randomly generated locations though. And I'd also like a lot more topography. Mars is supposed to have mountains that are way bigger than earth. I wanted to see more giant land mass features, canyons, mountains, etc. More variety there, even if it's just making the ground look different.

Topher

Gold Member
This is Bethesda tax. Its rates are higher than xbox tax even.

Dunno what Bethesda did to offend so many media outlets. Sounds like a survival threat to them or something.

Nah, the only tax is the "stupidity tax". Journalists should not be advocating game developers shirking their commitments especially when they have already been paid.

They made the same article 3 years ago on Cyberpunk

If CD Projekt had listened to them, we would never have gotten Phantom Liberty or patch 2.0

Yeah, good example.

JackMcGunns

What the hell happened to PC gamer? When did they become such clickbait loving turd hoppers? I'm not going to link to their latest shitcan article because it isn't worth reading, but the title is.....

Bethesda should just say 'screw it', move on from Starfield, and put all that energy into Fallout​

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Fuck you PC gamer

Exactly! One of the most promising updates that really ticks all the boxes of what fans have been waiting for, and they're like NO PLEASE STOP! Don't make it good LMAO.

Nah, the only tax is the "stupidity tax". Journalists should not be advocating game developers shirking their commitments especially when they have already been paid.

Yeah, good example.
Nah, I personally think there's some massive grudge between Bethesda and journalists, and I think it might be part of why Pete Hines got fired. They blacklisted Kotaku like a decade ago. Then they cut all advance reviews years ago, dropping DOOM reviews on release day. I think they genuinely hate each other, and you can see it in how many sites go out of their way to write insane headlines.

Fredrik

Go back and watch Bethesda pre-launch promos, at no point is Starfield sold as a different experiance to their previous games
Todd actually said exactly that, that it’s different from their other games, given the scale.
3 minutes in here

They called it Skyrim in space at one time though. Bad idea, it’s nothing like Skyrim. It’s more like a compressed No Man’s Sky with roleplaying and better combat and ship building.

Topher

Gold Member
Nah, I personally think there's some massive grudge between Bethesda and journalists, and I think it might be part of why Pete Hines got fired. They blacklisted Kotaku like a decade ago. Then they cut all advance reviews years ago, dropping DOOM reviews on release day. I think they genuinely hate each other, and you can see it in how many sites go out of their way to write insane headlines.

Perhaps, but this one looks more like common variety clickbait to me. PC Gamer used to be above this shit. I used to subscribe to their magazine years ago......back when there were real journalists in the industry. I get your point about Bethesda's beef with the media though.

gothmog

Gold Member
I imagine it's a two way street because there's new journalists joining the business daily. It's not like the get a memo about hating Bethesda when they start writing their first article.

I actually suspect it's more about lack of respect and accountability on both ends.

LordCBH

come on game looks like ps360 gen and 1k+ handcrafted planets ? yah all empty and if there is smt its copypasted enemy bases .... posted below before

l35dNLS.jpg

Wot? Graphically I don’t think Starfield is that impressive, but PS360? What? You crazy.

Roxkis_ii

As much as I like ragging on this game of the generation, I have to admit, the game is attractive on paper. I would love to try a demo to see if I like it for myself. (no gamepass please)

BigLee74

come on game looks like ps360 gen and 1k+ handcrafted planets ? yah all empty and if there is smt its copypasted enemy bases .... posted below before

l35dNLS.jpg
I don’t want to appear as a Starfield defender, you like it or you dont - simple as.

But you can easily tell who hasn’t played it, and doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

In todays ‘tales from kikiis backside’, we are introduced to the notion of 1000 hand crafted planets, and xbox 360 graphics. Lovely! 😂

Fredrik

As much as I like ragging on this game of the generation, I have to admit, the game is attractive on paper. I would love to try a demo to see if I like it for myself. (no gamepass please)
I understand that but I think it would be difficult to do a focused short demo, there are so many different gameplay loops and it starts so slow.

But have you played No Man’s Sky?

I think if you like that you’ll find things to like in Starfield as well, there are very very similar gameplay loops in there.
Then there is really cool combat and a good ship builder too and Bethesda style roleplaying and interactions on top of that. It does a lot of things, some badly but some very well.

I just hope they learn from Hello Games and keep on building on it.

Once they get the vehicle(s) right I want more enemy types, more size differences, mini bosses outside of faction quests, mechs, hordes of smaller alien creatures. And procedural generated enemy outposts, with a universe this big you can’t hand craft them, there is no way you can make enough of them.

Roni

Gold Member
I quit playing once I realized it's 2024 and companion AI still operates on distance checks to walk.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Some preliminary testing of the update was done on that Reddit thread.

Looks like a really solid list of changes with the difficulty modifiers and survival mode.
That video is worth posting directly here, lots of details here

Finally a reason to learn cooking, maybe it’s time to start over and play as Master Chef 😁

Sculpting your own internals on the ship is a great addition, putting all the work benches in the same room is a brilliant idea to get the ships smaller. Can see myself sink lots of hours into this!

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I need to try 40fps modes more often. Usually I just bypass them and go right to 60.
In my experience and opinion they are dog shit as much as 30 fps ... less... but dog shit anyway ... it is a fine way for people to cope to not having to compromise IQ for 60 fps .... but is in no way shape or form a viable substitute for 60 fps.

Its a marginal better option than 30 fps and thats it. The rest is mental gymnastics.

Kenpachii

40 is a lot better then 30 for steam deck, for my PC 40 is just as crap as 30.

Also on PC is there a ultrawide option implemented?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exactly! One of the most promising updates that really ticks all the boxes of what fans have been waiting for, and they're like NO PLEASE STOP! Don't make it good LMAO.
It ticks a lot of boxes, but removing all these loading time breaks and adding more things to do / improve exploration of each of the “bubbles” you explore would be the real boxes to tick. With that said 40 FPS mode on XSX and any CPU optimisations are very appreciated especially for Steam Deck players.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
In my experience and opinion they are dog shit as much as 30 fps ... less... but dog shit anyway ... it is a fine way for people to cope to not having to compromise IQ for 60 fps .... but is in no way shape or form a viable substitute for 60 fps.

Its a marginal better option than 30 fps and thats it. The rest is mental gymnastics.

It's not mental gymnastics lol. The frame time for evenly divided 40hz falls squarely in the middle of 30 and 60hz, it's a hell of a lot smoother than 30 fps on a purely technical level, personal opinions notwithstanding.

Not sure what game's 40hz mode you've tried. Was it TLoU Part 1? The 40hz mode there was bad, they actually patched it out of the game after launch cause the game wasn't able to maintain it.

Here is a better example:

Last edited:

kikii

I don’t want to appear as a Starfield defender, you like it or you dont - simple as.

But you can easily tell who hasn’t played it, and doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

In todays ‘tales from kikiis backside’, we are introduced to the notion of 1000 hand crafted planets, and xbox 360 graphics. Lovely! 😂
no matter how u spin it game looks solid on high-end juicy pc but otherwise it looks bad and loads slower than gaf :p

It's not mental gymnastics lol. The frame time for evenly divided 40hz falls squarely in the middle of 30 and 60hz, it's a hell of a lot smoother than 30 fps on a purely technical level, personal opinions notwithstanding.

Not sure what game's 40hz mode you've tried. Was it TLoU Part 1? The 40hz mode there was bad, they actually patched it out of the game after launch cause the game wasn't able to maintain it.

Ratchet has unlocked framerate mode which is more exciting than the 40fps mode (actually really excited to see how high the pro gets in that mode I think it will be more than 60 cause of the rt improvements)

adamsapple

Ratchet has unlocked framerate mode which is more exciting than the 40fps mode (actually really excited to see how high the pro gets in that mode I think it will be more than 60 cause of the rt improvements)

Starfield will also have an unlocked FPS which should go beyond 40 in the Quality mode in theory. But the point I was trying to make is that a locked 40 is a big improvement in responsiveness and smoothness over a locked 30, even if 30 is paired with some really good motion blur.

Ozriel

M$FT
no matter how u spin it game looks solid on high-end juicy pc but otherwise it looks bad and loads slower than gaf :p

If you think the visual drop off between ‘High’ and ‘medium’ settings is that severe, I suspect you’re not that familiar with gaming 😃

Starfield will also have an unlocked FPS which should go beyond 40 in the Quality mode in theory. But the point I was trying to make is that a locked 40 is a big improvement in responsiveness and smoothness over a locked 30, even if 30 is paired with some really good motion blur.
I’m aware of this

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Tried spider man , ratchet, horizon forbidden west ... as I said it is marginally better than 30 fps ... a lot worse than 60 fps.. to my eyes is not a proper substitute or "balanced/best of two worlds" in any way .. is dog shit just as 30 fps ... is another option for those who can withstand slow fps .... but anytime someone tries to cope and push this as some ultimate solution I just roll my eyes and carry on .. its just absurd

adamsapple

Tried spider man , ratchet, horizon forbidden west ... as I said it is marginally better than 30 fps ... a lot worse than 60 fps.. to my eyes is not a proper substitute or "balanced/best of two worlds" in any way .. is dog shit just as 30 fps ... is another option for those who can withstand slow fps .... but anytime someone tries to cope and push this as some ultimate solution I just roll my eyes and carry on .. its just absurd

I don't know what to tell you, my experience with 40hz modes has been completely the opposite of yours. They're my go-to if a game allows it. The fidelity and higher resolutions of Quality modes with performance and smoothness much higher than 30.

Connxtion

I don't know what to tell you, my experience with 40hz modes has been completely the opposite of yours. They're my go-to if a game allows it. The fidelity and higher resolutions of Quality modes with performance and smoothness much higher than 30.
Here here 💪🏼

40FPS mode remove the judder effect you get on OLEDS at 30FPS 😁 while making it feel slightly more responsive and quicker to the eyes.

It’s not 60FPS, but it’s far better than 30FPS by a large margin.

Granted av only used 40FPS on Avatar, but it makes a huge difference when panning the camera and due to the higher res it helps with the FSR2 reconstruction blocking artefacts on trees and foliage when in front of direct sunlight. (XBSX)

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Also noted that Creation Kits have been sent out to beta testers already.

Probably will go live for everyone along with Shattered Space as well.
I really hope the Expansion does some actual design overhaul, especially with exploration and random placement generation.

I have 0 hope of Bethesda improving the bland characters.

Top Bottom