• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm enjoying FFXV, but what I'd give for it to be like Lost Odyssey

The Dude

Anyone else agree? Lost Odyssey took the beauty of jrpgs, and spun it into a modern feeling turn based game that still holds up to this day. I get that SE is so into innovation, but fuck man... Sometimes I just think less is more. I'm enjoying FFXV as there are some cool aspects, but can't we just get one... Just one more that is a little more classic turn based oriented?

I could play 500 jrpgs that a have the same combat system as long as the stories are intriguing and the world's are interesting to explore, it's a style of genre that simply needs good characters, story, world, weaponry and items to be a graat time. Just like Lost Odyssey did, they added a slight touch to turn based combat but the game was spot on everything I feel a modern day final fantasy should be.

I know it's a conversation that is probably impossible to get everyone to agree on, as there are people who feel real time combat is the be all end all, but there has to be plenty that still wish for this with a final fantasy game.

In ffxv, sure the combat has its moments... But I don't feel like I'm really controlling a team. In good turn based combat, you get to make your moves like a chess game, deciding in each one and you can really take it all in.

I dunno... Just one of those things that I gotta realize square will probably never do again but it's a shame because people still hold the originals to such high regard and alot has to do with not only amazing stories and worlds, but good turn based combat that lets you really dig into each battle and control every aspect.

No. I love LO but I'm so happy FFXV, and the series in general, is no longer following a traditional JRPG formula.

OP should check out WoFF though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I loved LO, i still love it infact. But it was a natural progression from FFX's trajectory. And in the modern era, that can be a controversial affair.

Azoor

Lost Odessy is owned by Microsoft and I doubt they're interested.

Also, I personally think that turn based can be really fun if done right, not every JRPG need to conform to real time combat.

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

I love LO but FFXV feels so fresh and special. I would love for an FF like LO again but XV has turned out awesome.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For what its worth, i also loved WOFF, but a lot of people who seemed to hate it for its old school mechanics.

kunonabi

I'd have given FFXV a shot if it was turn-based. I just don't have the patience for another half-baked square action RPG.

The Dude

tumblr_inline_n3ghj9J3u91qcklud.gif

I love LO but FFXV feels so fresh and special. I would love for an FF like LO again but XV has turned out awesome.

That's what I mean, I'm ok with XV... But having just one that's turn based would be nice again.. I'm ok with both but I'd just kill for another that is in the same vein of LO

kromeo

I'd have given FFXV a shot if it was turn-based. I just don't have the patience for another half-baked square action RPG.

The action rpg mechanics are probably the best thing about it, it's the open world mission based structure that lets it down

RDreamer

XV's combat could have been good if they gave you any goddamned tools at all for your party. The way it stands it's the worst of both worlds between a party based RPG and an action RPG. I'd take LO's system over it any day of the week. Now if there were gambits and options to move your party members to different spots on the battlefield and/or tell them to hold, etc. then that's a different conversation.

Ahmed360

I agree with you, LO is underrated, the game was Amazing JRPG with very good story (slow at first though), but unfortunately was plagued with technical issues.

Also, actually after watching some FF15 gameplay I am less excited to play it now.
It doesn't feel like an RPG, more like a Devil May Cry or God of War sort of action game which is a shame.
And I'm hearing the story is not much better either.
Might still get it later on when the price drops.

HeeHo

I like LO but I would be very disappointed if FFXV was limited in scope by its old school design like LO was. I think there is a place for RPGs like LO and the old square RPGs but FFXV turned out to be a big surprise to me. I don't think they would've achieved what I'm so impressed with had the game been a lot like LO.

At first I thought the combat in XV felt a little messy, but now that I'm getting better at phasing (dodging), I'm feeling pretty satisfied with it. It feels chaotic at times but it can be controlled.

I don't want gambits either. I'd rather the game choose the best A.I. at the moment for me instead of me programming for it.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I just miss the days when sidequests were a diversion from the main plot, not the other way around.

Totally disagree but that's just me.. LO could still come out today and be a top notch jrpg

Agreed about LO. FFXV battle system has some shiny spots to it, but overall I didn't like it. Too hectic, and not in a good way. And the camera loved to hang out between trees and shit as much as it could. I felt like I spent half the time wrestling with it.

Misterhbk

I love LO. It was amazing. In fact I was replaying it prior to FFXV releasing. FFXV is by far the superior game. Especially in terms of battle system. Leagues ahead.

Whilst the lack of thoughtful design of encounters and party control can hinder XV, its still trying to do something new, which is what final fantasy does best.

I love turn based combat as much as action combat, but this game is going for scale and action combat can make that very impressive, the first time i summoned titan i was like "wow pretty animation, but thats it", but ramuh and levi are just something else, the way they stick around for abit after the animation...just epic.
The games "cheating" obviously to do this, but i still think a turn based system would rob it of this epic feel.

Totally disagree but that's just me.. LO could still come out today and be a top notch jrpg

post bravely default, i disagree.

Strakt

I'd agree if this was 2005 or something, but now? Not so much. The combat is what makes the new final fantasy stand out from the rest.

Peroroncino

I wouldnt, LO is good, but too slow for nowdays...

Nah, I finished it about 2 months ago, loved it almost as much as the first time I played it.

But I wouldn't want FFXV to go that route, the current formula is better and more cohesive with the 'dude bro trip' theme, it's just a damn shame that story is so rushed.

RDreamer

I'd agree if this was 2005 or something, but now? Not so much. The combat is what makes the new final fantasy stand out from the rest.

On the contrary, I could accept FFXV if this was 2005, but not having any options to control your party members or their AI like a gambit system or being able to tell them where to go makes the combat seem completely and utterly outdated. Square-Enix themselves figured this shit out with FFXII.

I just want the FFXIV ARR people to make a mainline single-player FF. Doesn't have to be the next one though. It's crazy just how much better XIV is at world building, storytelling and general writing. Not to mention they know how to make proper female characters. Oh, and they actually bothered to make a real magic system.

Sadly we'll prolly get more mediocre westernized shit like XV instead.

Thabass

I just want the FFXIV ARR people to make a mainline single-player FF. Doesn't have to be the next one though. It's crazy just how much better XIV is at world building, storytelling and general writing. Not to mention they know how to write proper female characters. Oh, and they actually bothered to make a real magic system.

Sadly we'll prolly get more mediocre westernized shit like XV.

Give that world building and the combat from FFXV and I'll be in heaven.

Strakt

I just want the FFXIV ARR people to make a mainline single-player FF. Doesn't have to be the next one though. It's crazy just how much better XIV is at world building, storytelling and general writing. Not to mention they know how to write proper female characters. Oh, and they actually bothered to make a real magic system.

Sadly we'll prolly get more mediocre westernized shit like XV.

I hope we do because FFXV was awesome and probably had one of the best endings ever.

sleepykyo

I never really liked LO as much as Shadow Hearts: Covenant. LO's version of the ring was weaker and the Kaim's kids really annoyed me.

vaporeon

I guess most turn-based things have gone towards spin-offs or left for "niche" titles nowadays...
As much as I absolutely love turn-based rpgs to death, I feel like mainline FF needed to go in the direction it did.

Turn based genre also needs evolution. Something like Persona 5 or Ni No Kuni 2 is a good balance.
Atlus has barely changed how its turn-based combat works over the years and they still use it for mainlines games. :') Blessed be Atlus.

I beat it recently, it honestly wasn't that great.

It has good music and the plot is interesting enough. But the map sucked, and Mac and Cooke ruin everything their in, kiam is really the only character design I like, dungeons were boring.

Mac and Cooke ruin most of it tho.

XV honestly is just making the wait for XIIRE even harder for me.
The open world, the hunts, the Ascension grid, it's all too reminiscent of XII but only half as fun.

I assume that the hatred for turn based combat comes mostly from new generation gamers. Lost Odyssey and FFXV have decent combat but a solid turn based system like Persona 4 would have made FFXV better in my opinion.

Strakt

I assume that the hatred for turn based combat comes mostly from new generation gamers. Lost Odyssey and FFXV have decent combat but a solid turn based system like Persona 4 would have made FFXV better in my opinion.

I'm 26 and i prefer FFXV's combat, so no. Just preference.

conpfreak

Nah. I didn't have to worry about my shit lord party members dancing in the flames and chugging down potions with Witcher 3. Plus the camera didn't make it into a chaotic fucking mess. Witcher 3's combat was light years better than XV's so far.

This is an interesting opinion. I actually shelved Witcher 3 soon after starting because of the clunky and janky combat and played Episode Duscae several times over then to be so dissatisfied with basic gameplay systems. It also relies too heavily on some action WRPG staples like branching story paths and it's "go here, do this" nature. I'll finish Witcher 3 someday, but I have little tolerance for the unpolished gameplay. Japanese developers tend to be much more successful when they implement the aforementioned in their games. FFXV does it better.

If FFX-3 is coming, I expect them to try to expand on X-2's battle system rather than make it an action RPG. That would scratch that turn-based itch even though it's fast paced ATB.

The Dude

Yea, 12s combat was actually a hell of a lot better than this. Even tho I'm enjoying it, the combat is fairly shallow

antitrop

Lost Odyssey's battle system is inferior to almost every Final Fantasy (above only the pre-ATB, NES FFs). It's a game I very much enjoyed, but it was in spite of the combat, not because of it.

Top Bottom