• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm enjoying FFXV, but what I'd give for it to be like Lost Odyssey

brinstar

Yeah I really wish it was turn based or even used something like Xenoblade/MMO-ish battle system.

Everything happens so fast in FFXV I feel like you barely get to even appreciate what kind of enemies you're fighting unless they're big.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I just want the FFXIV ARR people to make a mainline single-player FF. Doesn't have to be the next one though. It's crazy just how much better XIV is at world building, storytelling and general writing. Not to mention they know how to make proper female characters. Oh, and they actually bothered to make a real magic system.

Sadly we'll prolly get more mediocre westernized shit like XV instead.
I 2nd this. Would love a main SP game with the XIV gameplay and combat.

HeeHo

Yea, 12s combat was actually a hell of a lot better than this. Even tho I'm enjoying it, the combat is fairly shallow

Oof, very hard for me to stomach this perspective. Once you set up a good gambit system, you will very rarely have to change your gambits and the game becomes 'hold a direction on the left stick' simulator. I played FFXII for like 120 hours and only had to change gambits on rare boss fights and basically left me to use Phoenix Downs and Ethers every now and then. I found the combat to be very boring basically because it required so little interaction. I wanted to like XII a lot. I love Tactics and I love Vagrant Story but I do not love XII. I like the music, art style on some things, but the combat was the worst thing about the game to me and the game is mostly combat. I don't mind auto combat in MMOs but I didn't like it in XII.

I'm about 20 hours in on XV and I'm having a way better time with the combat. I'm starting to feel like there is a real finesse to playing it once you learn to properly dodge. If you leave yourself open though, the game tends to be very unforgiving about that. I'm starting to read the enemies better and I'm getting better at parrying too and it's seeming a lot more manageable and less chaotic. I can see why people would get the impression that it's kind of a mess at times.

The Dude

Oof, very hard for me to stomach this perspective. Once you set up a good gambit system, you will very rarely have to change your gambits and the game becomes 'hold a direction on the left stick' simulator. I played FFXII for like 120 hours and only had to change gambits on rare boss fights and basically left me to use Phoenix Downs and Ethers every now and then. I found the combat to be very boring basically because it required so little interaction. I wanted to like XII a lot. I love Tactics and I love Vagrant Story but I do not love XII. I like the music, art style on some things, but the combat was the worst thing about the game to me and the game is mostly combat. I don't mind auto combat in MMOs but I didn't like it in XII.

I'm about 20 hours in on XV and I'm having a way better time with the combat. I'm starting to feel like there is a real finesse to playing it once you learn to properly dodge. If you leave yourself open though, the game tends to be very unforgiving about that. I'm starting to read the enemies better and I'm getting better at parrying too and it's seeming a lot more manageable and less chaotic. I can see why people would get the impression that it's kind of a mess at times.

It's pure chaos in this game, no matter how much you wanna say you're watching enemies better, nobody can tell me they know what is happening in a blob of combat with numerous enemies around, it's a button mash half the time and an easy one at that

Completely disagree.

I loved LO, i still love it infact. But it was a natural progression from FFX's trajectory. And in the modern era, that can be a controversial affair.

That is a bit redundant and inconsequential since no matter what system goes into an FF game it is a controversial affair these days.

HeeHo

It's pure chaos in this game, no matter how much you wanna say you're watching enemies better, nobody can tell me they know what is happening in a blob of combat with numerous enemies around, it's a button mash half the time and an easy one at that

How far are you into the game? Hours wise? I can see why you would think that but if you can manage to parry often and just hold square when you're getting swarmed, you should be able to turn the tides and even have some semblance of coherence as to what's going on. I don't want to say it's about 'getting good' but maybe you just need more practice at the action aspect. I admit, it's pretty hectic, but I seriously doubt they designed a battle system that is so unmanageable.

Completely disagree.

Well, thanks for elaborating on why.

n0razi

I loved LO and all the classics but turn based battles are not gonna sell in this day and age. I can't even replay FF7 unless its the updated version with fast forward.

I would like an updated LO with modern combat

How far are you into the game? Hours wise? I can see why you would think that but if you can manage to parry often and just hold square when you're getting swarmed, you should be able to turn the tides and even have some semblance of coherence as to what's going on. I don't want to say it's about 'getting good' but maybe you just need more practice at the action aspect. I admit, it's pretty hectic, but I seriously doubt they designed a battle system that is so unmanageable.

Well, thanks for elaborating on why.

It doesn't help that the Combat skill tree has a bunch of shit hidden that would make combat flow much more smoothly. Air steps, being able to rush at an enemy from a far with a blink, air dodging, etc.

If there's an air parry then fuhgedaboutit

The Dude

I'm about 10 hours in, it's just that there are many times when it's just a mish-mash of stuff happening, but my point is it's fairly easy to keep warping around attacking and then doing team techniques. Sure i can parry, or side step but a lot of the time it's simply warping around and just diving in on enemies. There's just no major major control of team mates, and the whole battle feels a bit more scripted than when you have full control

The Dude

I loved LO and all the classics but turn based battles are not gonna sell in this day and age. I can't even replay FF7 unless its the updated version with fast forward.

I would like an updated LO with modern combat

If FFXV released with a turn based engine and a few tweaks, it would sell.

Neifirst

I'm absolutely loving FFXV, but if they were to go in a turn based direction ever again, they should just reuse FFXIII-2's system, still the slickest ATB-type game I've ever played.

exhume

I beat it recently, it honestly wasn't that great.

It has good music and the plot is interesting enough. But the map sucked, and Mac and Cooke ruin everything their in, kiam is really the only character design I like, dungeons were boring.

Mac and Cooke ruin most of it tho.

Ugh, you just reminded me of why I dislike LO so much. Actually, all the characters besides Kaim and Seth irritated the heck out of me. Especially the kids. That and it's horribly maudlin; I really liked the premise but it was poorly executed, the plot twists were so predictable and the whole atmosphere of the game just felt off.

Edit: The battle system was awesome though. A turn-based mainline FF would rule so hard.

AgeEighty

I like XV's combat, but it doesn't feel that much like Final Fantasy to me during battle.

I'm not one of those people who think turn-based RPGs are "obsolete" or whatever. You can keep turn-based tabletop-style battles and create a modern game while eliminating other annoyances of old RPGs like random battles.

Have you tried Wait Mode, OP?

sora87

Lost Odyssey was the last true console final fantasy game, I'd love more games like that.

I am immensely enjoying XV though.

I was running around the country side in ff15 and I started thinking about Lost Odyssey, so it's a little funny to come here and see a topic comparing the two.

The Dude

I like XV's combat, but it doesn't feel that much like Final Fantasy to me during battle.

I'm not one of those people who think turn-based RPGs are "obsolete" or whatever. You can keep turn-based tabletop-style battles and create a modern game while eliminating other annoyances of old RPGs like random battles.

Have you tried Wait Mode, OP?

Yea, its a little nicer. But its one of those things where I can go with this battle system but I just much more prefer a turn based one especially for these types of games.

I'm enjoying the game, but there are so many battles I think how much better it'd be retaining the classic style of combat

kromeo

... Was Bravely Default something special ? Because it's a budget title not exactly in the same league as Lost Odyssey and FFXV.

If Bravely Default didn't had that awful second part maybe it could be a discussion but...

It had a good battle system but everything else about it was pure budget

Lost Odyssey was not that good a game honestly. I agree FFXV would do well with a tighter game structure in general.

Lost Odyssey us a terrible RPG, and making final fantasy like it will kill the franchise.

Hyperbole obviously, but I agree the game is not good. EDGE's 5/10 nailed it pretty well. The problem was the lack of JRPGs on consoles in 2007/2008 so people kinda played everything including me.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Am I the only one who's happy to see JRPGs moving away from turn-based battles?

I LOVED it back in the 16 and 32-bit eras, but nowadays the battle systems in those older games just bore me to tears. You aren't doing anything strategic, just solving the same basic puzzle over and over, watching the same animations, same loading screens, etc.

From FF XII onward, the battle systems have been THE best part of Final Fantasy games. So glad that my favorite series has moved past "keep picking Fight from the menu until you win" combat.

Lucent

I LOVED it back in the 16 and 32-bit eras, but nowadays the battle systems in those older games just bore me to tears. You aren't doing anything strategic, just solving the same basic puzzle over and over, watching the same animations, same loading screens, etc.

From FF XII onward, the battle systems have been THE best part of Final Fantasy games. So glad that my favorite series has moved past "keep picking Fight from the menu until you win" combat.

Pretty much. There's not really a big difference to me. You see this type of enemy, you do that to defeat it. No different from what XV does. Just because you don't stand still and get time to think doesn't mean there's no strategy. Be like saying there's no strategy in DMC. Turn based has gotten stale and I welcome getting a more hands on battle system.

ethomaz

Banned

Maybe you need to play better turn-based systems... some put FFXV battle system to shame.

I agree OP. There's plenty of innovation left in turn-based JRPGs, both in the combat system and the surrounding gameplay systems. FFXV just seems more like an Action RPG to me, which I'm just not into. I like the stroke-your-chin strategic play when I'm playing a JRPG. Square have basically lost me as a customer (not that they care) due to this, though truth be told the narrative and lack of diversity in XV didn't do them any favors with me, either.

Zhao_Yun

I'd take more turn-based games, but LO is a poor example to promote it imo. I liked LO, but the combat paired with random encounters was definitely not one of its strengths. In terms of turn-based combat I prefer the ones from SMT or Trails.

The Dude

I'd take more turn-based games, but LO is a poor example to promote it imo. I liked LO, but the combat paired with random encounters was definitely not one of its strengths. In terms of turn-based combat I prefer the ones from SMT or Trails.

It might not be your preferred comparison, but doesn't mean it's a poor example. However, I'd gladly take turn based combat from other games that do it well as I enjoy plenty others. But as a console jrpg, lost Odyssey or even blue dragon are two that I wish FF would go back to at least once in awhile

GunBR

I tried to play LO twice
Found it extremely boring both times (but I still want to give a third chance to the game in the future), and I'm a huge jrpg fan

So...no

Fou-Lu

I would love to eventually get a big budget, mainline FF with turnbased combat and a more classic setting. The FF9 of the modern age if you will, but FFXV is pretty great.

The Dude

I tried to play LO twice
Found it extremely boring both times (but I still want to give a third chance to the game in the future), and I'm a huge jrpg fan

So...no

Hard to see how a huge jrpg fan can get into lo, that's odd

Hatty

I wouldnt, LO is good, but too slow for nowdays...
Turn based combat doesn't have to be slow. Look at Shin Megami Tensei IV, the fights in there are very quick. I think the reason turn based games come off as slow sometimes is that everyone is in love with having a third person camera in battle, so they can see how cool the characters look or whatever. Turn based games with a first person camera like Etrian Odyssey tend to move quickly.

The Dude

The thing I don't get is why so many just want every single game in existence to have real time combat, real time combat isn't the be all end all imho

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Lost Odyssey was not that good a game honestly. I agree FFXV would do well with a tighter game structure in general.

Hyperbole obviously, but I agree the game is not good. EDGE's 5/10 nailed it pretty well. The problem was the lack of JRPGs on consoles in 2007/2008 so people kinda played everything including me.

true, I played it, and stopped hours before the ending because the game was just mediocre. it was a dark time for jrpgs in general.

tales of vesperia is released around the same timeframe and is superior in every way. dont know why people dont talk more about vesperia instead.

Banned
Turnbassd seems to be a dying breed of jrpg. A shame. I liked being able to use all my party members in one battle.

leng jai

Loved LO but I don't think it would have worked for FFXV. It literally says at the start that they designed it for 'first time FF players'. That said I would have preferred a refined version or XIII's combat.

I don't think any RPG mechanically ever matched the brilliance of FFX, and honestly I hope we get more. But love FFXV, and I want square to build on what worked really really well. I would love more turn based stuff too, I just want more games in general.

Brokun

The thing I don't get is why so many just want every single game in existence to have real time combat, real time combat isn't the be all end all imho

I agree. I'm just going to throw this out there: the Final Fantasy games that are the most universally praised were all turn and menu-based. If you still enjoy playing those games today, and many do, then there is no reason why a modern version of it can't be fun.

The Dude

I'll still try woff but I dislike monster collecting. However, pokémon is still successful in a huge way with turn based combat... Not sure why it'd be so horrific if FF went back to using it in an innovative way

Top Bottom