• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko Data Bank for PS4 Pro and Slim announced at CES

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/01/05/nyko-ps4-psvr-accessories-ces-2017/

nyko-data-bank-pro.png

Data Bank Pro for PlayStation 4 Slim and Pro

Data Bank Pro is an essential, add-on accessory for the PS4 Slim and Pro that expands the internal memory by allowing the use of an additional 3.5-inch hard drive. The Data Bank Pro is easy to install – it plugs into the hard drive bay via the included SATA adaptor and USB cable by accessing a single screw (using an included screwdriver). Once users remove the 2.5” drive and reinstall it along with a 3.5-inch drive using the included adapter, they can easily cold-swap between the two drives with a simple flip of a switch. The versatile design allows the Data Bank to rest on top of the PS4 or alongside it, so that it can be used in both the vertical and horizontal positions. It also has a dedicated AC cord to power the drive, so it avoids pulling additional power from the console. Data Bank Pro will be available in 2017 for an MSRP of $39.99.

Got a Pro last month and have been waiting for this.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Such an ugly piece of hardware.

Come on Sony, let us use our existing external drives.

Lagamorph

If it didn't need an additional power supply I might be interested. But the last thing a PS4 Pro/PSVR combo set up needs is even more cables.

Interesting idea, especially the ability to use (significantly cheaper) 3.5" drives, but I don't think it's for me really.

NewDust

You can switch HDDs with a button? Wtf? Wouldn't it format each time?

Not if the databank controller can store the hardware id assigned to both hdd's and only make one known to the PS4.

So lets say the hardware id for the original drive is a1 and for the expansion drive is b2, the controller would announce both drives as a1.

For the love of god just let us plug in any of our spare 2.5s hdds with a fucking USB cord, Sony.
A 2 tb hdd is not enough when games like Doom exist.

zewone

A device like this may have made more sense when the price difference between 2.5" and 3.5" was greater.

Unless you really want a drive larger than 2TBs, I don't see a reason to own this.

You can switch HDDs with a button? Wtf? Wouldn't it format each time?

No, it only formats it if it doesn't recognize it as a drive tied to the system. For example, when you upgrade the HDD in the PS4 and you pop out your old drive to put the new one in, at any point you could swap them again and your old one would work as if you never upgraded.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So you can just swap between two separate drives with a button?

That's pretty nice for 40 bucks. Shame it looks so hideous.

NewDust

No, it only formats it if it doesn't recognize it as a drive tied to the system. For example, when you upgrade the HDD in the PS4 and you pop out your old drive to put the new one in, at any point you could swap them again and your old one would work as if you never upgraded.

Are you talking about the data bank? Because without it, you can't swap out drives, even if both have been assigned to the ps4. The ps4 can only store one hardware id, and locks it to that one.

NewDust

Doesn't PS4 have issues with rest mode for hdds bigger than 4Tb?

That has been resolved in a previous firmware update. The bug was also specifically tied to the Nyko data bank and probably has to do with the longer spinup time and power draw of 3,5" 4tb drives.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Are there honestly people that find it difficult to keep their storage needs under 1TB?

meistaheinz

Neo Member
the funny thing is the internal 2.5" HDD in the ps4 is already connected via usb3 (an usb<->sata-converter, don't ask...), so obviously sony could use an external drive (except for standby-download?). i really don't get why they don't support that. they don't make any money on harddrives either.
i'd really like to have a rather small small ssd (500GB, 100€/$) an an external 4TB HDD (another 100$/€). Live could be so easy...

1tb is nowhere near enough. I struggle with 2tb.

I have learned to make it and still have bunch of games installed that I won't be playing any time soon.

Captures are the real space eater for me. I Just transfer them to an external drive more frequently now since went from 2TB to 1TB.

NewDust

Didn't the previous data bank have really poor speeds compared to an internal drive?

Yes speeds were bad, lets hope they have remedied that issue. At least the awful piggyback power source is gone.

If speeds aren't impeded and cold-swap works well, you could even have one small (affordable) ssd for cuurent plays, or games with heavy loads, and a big 3,5" as a jukebox drive.

Yes speeds were bad, lets hope they have remedied that issue. At least the awful piggyback power source is gone.

If speeds aren't impeded and cold-swap works well, you could even have one small (affordable) ssd for cuurent plays, or games with heavy loads, and a big 3,5" as a jukebox drive.

This allows you to use multiple hard drives?

Occam

Is that thing even really necessary for anyone? At present, what's the largest internal hdd available that can be used in a PS4 (Pro)?
(Personally, I'm fine with my 2TB drive and currently have no need for more space.)

system11

I buy way more games than the average consumer and my 2tb I fitted when the anniversary model came out still isn't full. Not convinved this product is very useful. At least it's cheap.

Top Bottom