• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko Data Bank for PS4 Pro and Slim announced at CES

jts

...hate me...
It doesn’t need to stay on top of the console, that’s just a (rather stupid) presentation suggestion.

truth411

That has been resolved in a previous firmware update. The bug was also specifically tied to the Nyko data bank and probably has to do with the longer spinup time and power draw of 3,5" 4tb drives.
By understanding that firmware update allowed the use of the Stand By features to work with HDD up to 4TB, previously it was 2TB.

yurinka

So PS4 is now a Megazord?

ninja-megazord-o.gif

Caayn

Eh. 2TB has been more than big enough for me and I play an insane amount of games compared to the average person.
With popular games taking up insane amounts of space ( for example CoD: BO 3 takes up 98.5GB on XB1) you can never have enough storage. I'm already around the 3TB of usage, and that's with not everything installed.

BlondeTuna

Getting close to maxing my 2 TB internal. This is just another example of how we have to make our PS4s fugly just to get more storage space.

Hurray. I haven't upgraded to a PS4 Pro yet, but the thought of not having this if I ever did was keeping me from buying a much-needed Data Bank for my original PS4.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah. Fucked if I'm having that stuck on top of my pro, just give us external USB hdd support please Sony...

Nitty_Grimes

Actually why does it have to go on the top? Can't you just tuck the box down behind your av equipment so it's hiddden?

FFS Sony, why is it so hard for you to allow users to use external drives for game installs? This is coming from someone with a 2TB PS4 Pro. What are you so scared of? That your shit security be compromised and folks try to run unsigned code on your platform.

FFS, just get this done already, I have been railing for months and will continue to do so. MS supports this, ffs even Nintendo, fucking Nintendo allows us to use external drives or USB sticks for game installs. When it comes to this Sony is a joke.

Nitty_Grimes

For slim and pro right, as the enclosure is in the back, would something like this work?

http://www.netstoredirect.com/start...0848640.html?gclid=COPe5d_Gr9ECFYwy0wodgj8Irg

What I would do would be make a little caddy so it fits into the PS4 one end then add an external 4tb to the other end then okay, hard drive is bare bones but you could then tuck it behind the PS4 neatly instead of having that hulking thing on top.

Would that work?

DieH@rd

Banned
Nice.

It's functionality is much more important than it's [totally fine] looks, especially at this very attractive price. I also wonder how does PS4 OS deals with quick changes of hard drives. Users can switch between two big drives, or one big drive and a SSD. Cool concept.

EPX

Neo Member
The switching will take place while the system is turned off, not on. I posted a video link to a helpful video i found on youtube during CES 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ncAf-DZwA

Nice.

It's functionality is much more important than it's [totally fine] looks, especially at this very attractive price. I also wonder how does PS4 OS deals with quick changes of hard drives. Users can switch between two big drives, or one big drive and a SSD. Cool concept.

Nydius

The Data Bank pro can also be moved around, doesn't need to be stuck on top of the console..

i found a great video on youtube to explain things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4ncAf-DZwA

Watching that does clear a lot up and if/when I get a Pro I will probably look into getting one since I can keep the unit vertical and just keep this beside it.

For those who want a synopsis of the video rather than watching: It's two pieces, essentially a double 2.5/3.5 eSATA enclosure and a SATA controller board with back plate that fits into the Slim/Pro's HDD area. You connect the enclosure to the backplate via an eSata cable.

Nyko is shooting themselves in the foot by showing marketing material with it on top of the PS4, IMO.

Skelter

Banned
What the hell is Sony's problem with memory? Vita, PS4, and the Pro. It's crazy to me that Nintendo actually has the best stance here.

I can see using this for switching between an SSD and a giant hard drive if you have a LOT of games AND you want speedy loading and you're willing to fiddle around with swapping game installs around like on a PC...but geez.

In most use cases I would think you'd be better off spending the $40 towards a bigger HDD or a bigger SSD and doing a quick replacement. It's not particularly difficult.

Nitty_Grimes

I think the hate was the thought of having to stick that big chunky box on top on the console (like the original PS4 version) but now it's confirmed you can move it and hide it, there's probably gonna be less hate.

EPX

Neo Member
My thoughts exactly, as its no longer on the top of the system. No release date yet. I also like that it has its own power source now. i never trusted those by pass power cords on consoles, look at all the issues with the xbox 360 coolers that started to fry.

I think the hate was the thought of having to stick that big chunky box on top on the console (like the original PS4 version) but now it's confirmed you can move it and hide it, there's probably gonna be less hate.

EPX

Neo Member
Exactly, It's a good way to think of this as a external USB Hard drive. The Ps4 system won't get as hot as the hard drives are not inside or on top, which is another bonus.

So i can have a 2.5 2TB HDD and a 8TB 3.5 HDD. wow thats amazing.

But in all honestly this could have been avoided had sony allowed for the taller 15mm 2.5 HDD thus giving people the option to have 4TB 2.5 Drives. Maybe for the PS5 that will be a option

Not understanding the hate here. This effectively gives you external USB HDD support that everyone been asking for. Awesome compromise.

Top Bottom