• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge to close. Sony makes changes to European studios structure

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
GamesIndustry.biz has learned that Sony is closing the Cambridge branch of Guerrilla Games. All employees will be laid off.

Sony has confirmed the impending shutdown to us, saying that the compulsory redundancies are "regrettable". The decision to close the studio comes from a review of all current PlayStation projects and resources, with the platform holder concluding: "It is necessary to make some changes to the European studios structure... in order to deliver on our strategic objectives".

Guerrilla Games Amsterdam, developer of Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Killzone series, will not be affected. We have contacted Sony to find out if other European studios are closing.

Snippet of Sony's statement:

Whilst we accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff, by focusing on other Studios with exciting new projects in development, (including continued work on PlayStation VR), we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality to our players. This decision should not take anything away from the incredible games and services that Guerrilla Cambridge has delivered.

More at the link.

delSai

Man fuck :(
Just as i post how awesome their Killzone game is and that i want 'em to continue working on the series :(

Suzzopher

Fuck Sony. Seriously annoyed when I heard this :(

It's Sony's oldest studio I believe.

So many good memories from my time there too, such a shame. It was in a great location too.

LordKano

Wow, they were like 80 according to Wikipédia, that's a lot.

What european studios sony has left ? After Evolution Studios and now this, it seems like they aren't really focusing on that.

Burbeting

Banned
That's shameful. While I wasn't a big fan of Killzone Mercenary, it showed that the studio had lots of great potential.

Pennywise

That sucks. They were good developers that delievered a great handheld shooter, which is already pretty impressive. I never tried out Rigs due not having VR,but it's one of the few titles I was really interested in. It's a shame that Sony seemingly had no plan for them. Hopefully everyone will find something new soon.

Blyr

Banned
I hope the devs there are able to bounce back quickly, this is incredibly unfortunate news.

I guess this also means MediEvil won't be making a surprise return either. :(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's a shame. There's a couple of other studios in Cambridge (Frontier, Ninja Theory, Jagex) that might be able to absorb some of them, and Cambridge is a high tech hub besides; hopefully those involved will land on their feet.

KageMaru

Fuck =( I hope everyone lands on their feet OK.

I really hope 2017 isn't filled with stories like this or the scalebound cancelation.

I could almost accept this if they were in Microsoft position of no EU penetration and less then expected sales.

But Sony are making bank on the PS4, yet this gen all they have done is shut European studios., they'll probably waste more money on Kojimas garbage, for a studio they don't even own.

I don't like this one bit. I hope those resources aren't used to make exclusive third party deals, like the stupid 30 days first or exclusive DLCs.

Moobabe

Another blow to the UK games industry. We can't seem to catch a break... :(

Wonder if Brexit played a role in the decision here.

Regardless - a shame for everyone involved. I thought that Killzone Merc was second only to Killzone 2 in the series and, while I don't have a PSVR, RIGS was always the game that appealed the most.

Top Bottom