• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge to close. Sony makes changes to European studios structure

Gestault

Killzone Mercenary is my favorite game in the series, and really doesn't get as much visibility as it deserves compared to the rest. This stinks.

Fularu

Banned
Now that Sony is in a leading position, they are again closing their studios and relying on 3rd parties to carry them.

For them it looks like ND, SSM (to some extent) and PD are the only studios that really matter, the rest can get the axe prety much anytime.

Grisby

MErcs was my second favorite killzone game. That studio had better story chops for the series than the regular studio had.

Thanks for the memories guys. Good luck for future endeavors!

Turkoop

Banned
I don't understand this move. RIGS received some great reviews, community liked it so far. With enough budget they could now work on the next Killzone while Guerilla is busy with Horizon.

Hasney

That's a fucking shame. RIGS is a better game than anything the parent company has done.

Also makes me worried about Sony's VR output if they're willing to close a studio that hit out of the park day 1 and lose that experience...

Why don't they move dev into other studio?
What happen to British base studio?

VR was a mistake.

Sony just lay them off without putting them into their other studios?

One of Sony's weakness ( and strength, from a different perspective) is that each individual development studio pretty much stands on its own.

A different publisher might had put Evo to be a Polyphony asset studio or something like that but Sony generally don't make any sort of sweeping creative changes to retain devs by restructuring... just fire them.

Fuck's sake Sony. Fuck's sake.

Media Molecule will be next, unless Dreams is a big hit (which I don't see happening). Yet another Sony studio dragged down because of being chained to niche hardware. See also: Zipper (Vita), BigBig (PSP), probably some fucking others I've forgotten.

Ridley327

Wow, another UK studio bites the dust. London Studio and Media Molecule are all that's left now, right?

Cambridge had a really long legacy of being among Sony's more technically accomplished developers, so I hope they can land on their feet quickly.

Dargor

Man, why would they close this studio? They just delivered a new game.

They talk about redundancies, but was it really that bad?

Hasney

This week has just made me so angry. Feel like Nintendo will announce a closure after the Switch event or something now.

That's a shame. I haven't gotten around to pick up a PSVR yet, but RIGS is one of the few titles that I'm interested in. Killzone Mercenary was great. I hope all their developers find other studies to work at.

EmiPrime

Wonder if Brexit played a role in the decision here.

Regardless - a shame for everyone involved. I thought that Killzone Merc was second only to Killzone 2 in the series and, while I don't have a PSVR, RIGS was always the game that appealed the most.

We tanked the value of our currency, running costs of a UK studio should be much cheaper than ever before for a foreign company like Sony.

That sucks bad.

I live very close to Cambridge (like a 20 minute bus ride) and I can't think of many big time games developers for quite a large radius.....

Gonna be tough to find a job I'd have thought.

Oh no!! Thought they might have secretly taken over killzone while guerrilla games was doing horizon and would be able to expand on the things they did in killzone mercenary with more advanced technology. Best of luck to all of those affected.

Footos22

At this point it's pretty much obv UK games development is not cost effective. So many UK studios shutdown in the last few years. A real shame.

Yagharek

Game industry market seems like an incredibly volatile one for workers.

With all the stress of crunch and lack of union protection, and the frequency of layoffs, lack of job security and competition from young graduates... I couldn't imagine working like that.

Hopefully these people can find work quickly.

vivekTO

I thought they are working on a Killzone Ip , looking at the Job posting. Well it sucks .
Good luck to all of them .

Top Bottom