• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Astrates

I don't understand how it works.

The reasons touted is to avoid using bulky headsets, which in the house isn't an issue so must be for outside etc.

If you're outside how do you voice chat via phone using headphones whilst also using headphones to hear the game. Will game sound route through to the phone? Or do you have to have one out loud regardless?

Lastly what about data usage, do you use phone network to stream voice etc?

I can't fathom out the practical application.

The_Lump

Banned
So seemingly some middleware (not posting link as it will get shut down) is now adding support for microphone input after latest switch sdk release.

Would that affect any theories of how voice chat might work? I mean why would that be needed if it's all going to be done through this phone app?

Any ideas tech folk?

So seemingly some middleware (not posting link as it will get shut down) is now adding support for microphone input after latest switch sdk release.

Would that affect any theories of how voice chat might work? I mean why would that be needed if it's all going to br done through this phone app?

Any ideas tech folk?

Unless something has changed, the most logical theory about the smartphone app has been that it will be used for system level voice chat and parties. Individual games will likely be able to support voice chat without the app as long as the developer enables that. Which is how it was done on the Wii U.

elchebib

I don't understand how it works.

The reasons touted is to avoid using bulky headsets, which in the house isn't an issue so must be for outside etc.

If you're outside how do you voice chat via phone using headphones whilst also using headphones to hear the game. Will game sound route through to the phone? Or do you have to have one out loud regardless?

Lastly what about data usage, do you use phone network to stream voice etc?

I can't fathom out the practical application.

Exactly my thought here. How will they be able to work this out?? Stream the in-game audio to the phone app??

The_Lump

Banned
Unless something has changed, the most logical theory about the smartphone app has been that it will be used for system level voice chat and parties. Individual games will likely be able to support voice chat without the app as long as the developer enables that. Which is how it was done on the Wii U.

A-ha, OK that makes sense. Thanks.

My thoughts as well, though curiously MK8D dropped voice chat in friend lobbies.

Top Bottom