• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

KtSlime

I doubt the app would be able to do that seeing as Apple already cracks down on tethering apps and apparently carriers usually charge for tethering.
Anyone with a plan that includes it can already do this.
And I've asked the question a few times in here but I have yet to hear any reason you'd need voice chat on the go anyway.

They probably wouldn't do it because Nintendo really is stuck in Japan. For instance, Mario Run needing a constant internet connection is no problem in Japan, as trains and subways have full coverage on all networks.

Tethering for internet connectivity is probably not a thought of theirs because all carriers in Japan have free tethering. The 'needs' of western gamers such as needing the best graphics, wanting to play at home on a 4K TV, or wanting to listen profanities over voice chat are beyond imagination. The needs and requests of the Japanese majority will be heard first and foremost.

tkscz

The only reasons I can think of are:

A) Incompetence

or

B) A fundamental misunderstanding of what people want from an online service.

C) Not enough RAM to run a lobby with chat while the game is running. If the rumor that 3.2 of it's 4GBs of RAM are used for games is true, then .8 gigs of RAM wouldn't be able to run a good lobby and communication system.

majik13

C) Not enough RAM to run a lobby with chat while the game is running. If the rumor that 3.2 of it's 4GBs of RAM are used for games is true, then .8 gigs of RAM wouldn't be able to run a good lobby and communication system.

That cant be right, would it really take that much? I really have no idea. How much RAM foes online MP + Voicechat typically use?

I've used voice chat and party countless of times on my Vita without any hickups whatsoever. Can't use that much resources...

it doesn't.

You just have to design your console that way from the start.
It's only difficult if you want to do this afterwards.

You'd think nintendo would have understood how voice chat was important in this day and age and used that when designing the switch , but no.

Xiao Hu

Yes and no because even my Vita can do that, a device from 2011

ViciousDS

Banned

360 handled an OS and party chat with less.......what you getting at?

Bluth54

I hope this is a joke post.

so i haven't read through the thread, but

what if the app is on phones because if it were on the switch the battery for the switch would die in like an hour if you used the voice chat while mobile

SystemUser

You forgot the slash s at the end right? The 360 had .5 gigs for all RAM. The 360 can play a game and run a voice lobby with that much RAM due to software not hardware. The voice party was added way later and did not seem to be part of the original vision. They had to patch the Xbox 360 to allow for the patch that allowed for voice chat parties. Halo 2 had an awesome party system with an eighth of a gig of RAM.

Run an android emulator on PC. Boom.

Quick someone add a laptop to the Goro pic...or is he all out of arms already?

Remember not too long ago when to ask their fans Nintendo was the only manufacturer that got online right because it was free? Fast forward a couple of years and it's "just download an android emulator on your PC so that you can use the features for the online service that you are now required to pay for. What's the big deal?"

azyless

what if the app is on phones because if it were on the switch the battery for the switch would die in like an hour if you used the voice chat while mobile
So the solution is to drain 2 batteries instead of one ? Thanks Nintendo.
If you want your console to last longer just... don't use voice chat ? or online at all tbh.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So the solution is to drain 2 batteries instead of one ? Thanks Nintendo.
If you want your console to last longer just... don't use voice chat ? or online at all tbh.

It's a solution to kill your phone battery faster (wireless + bluetooth + screen lit often) to make Switch's battery look better. /jk

notaskwid

People need to stop trying to come up with a logical reason for this to exist. There is none.
They want to make sure people on the switch are using their phone app so they can advertise their phone games and viceversa.
Their phone games will most likely connect to this app also.

Buy a smartphone?

Seriously, if you're about to plop down $400 on a Switch you can afford a smartphone, and a phone is so much more important. You are literally making your life much harder by not owning one. Buy a Switch later. Or buy an iPad or something.

i laughed. some people get upset about having to buy a $30 ac adapter for a product they bought. you're suggesting someone just goes and buys a smartphone. that's awesome.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has this been debunked or clarified yet? I genuinely, literally don't believe that a smartphone is REQUIRED for voice chat and matchmaking. I assume this is just us misunderstanding a non clarified statement, right?

There's presumably at least deprecated MM and voice without the phone?

Pokemaniac

Has this been debunked or clarified yet? I genuinely, literally don't believe that a smartphone is REQUIRED for voice chat and matchmaking. I assume this is just us misunderstanding a non clarified statement, right?

Unless there's new information that came up (that thread is moving way too fast), it sounds like the smartphone is for system-wide voice chat and matchmaking, while games are most likely free to implement those features for themselves.

zewone

this and with the single NES/SNES game that goes away after a month pretty much spell out one thing for me

F I V E B U C K S A M O N T H

honestly, that would answer a lot of questions.

$5 a month is $60 a year.

I'm not sure how that helps. The competitors are charging the same with better service.

Reggie confirmed it in a recent interview.

This is what he said :
instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you'll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that's a pretty sweet solution. That's part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggi...assic-games-supply-concerns-3ds-here-to-stay/

Kenstar

DS's 4096 KILOBYTES of ram was enough for in game group chat

voice chat is usually UDP, there's no handshake and authentication and integrity verification going on, the devices broadcast whatever they get out and move on without asking if they got it and resending bits they didnt. It's why voice chat can be spotty in skype but you can send an mp3 of you talking over it just fine, the file transfer has built in error checking and makes sure it's 100% intact. Voice is just mindless broadcasting with no cpu overhead worrying about how the other person got it.

There is compression running and other things but no excuses if the anemic DS could pull it off.

Crayon

I can see requiring it for chat but not matchmaking. I expect you can initiate matchmaking and find a game directly thru most any game.

Everyone's flipping the fuck out tho, so theories abound.

eoa-swam

Interestingly, the Nintendo.co.jp Switch specification page says this about the audio jack -

' Please connect regular headphone, mic, or a mic with a headphone '

So the Switch unit can accept incoming audio.

switch_audio.jpg

Oregano

Get some of thw guys in Redmond to head over to NOA and check.

I would put that either in the "incompetence" column for designing a system in this day and age without the sufficient RAM to do it despite the fact that other handhelds like the Vita can manage it, or the "fundamental misunderstanding" column for purposely deprioritizing it so much that they have to offload it to another device.

I would put that either in the "incompetence" column for designing a system in this day and age without the sufficient RAM to do it despite the fact that other handhelds like the Vita can manage it, or the "fundamental misunderstanding" column for purposely deprioritizing it so much that they have to offload it to another device.

Yea, I can't imagine that was the reason. If it is true it seems like an intentional decision. PS3 and Xbox 360 had significantly less RAM and significantly more features, from what we know.

guek

Banned
Interestingly, the Nintendo.co.jp Switch specification page says this about the audio jack -

' Please connect regular headphone, mic, or a mic with a headphone '

So the Switch unit can accept incoming audio.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8367801/switch_audio.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, plugging in a mic would make zero sense if it was all handled through a phone anyway.

I dunno man. Something stinks. I wish they would of just kept their mouths shut about all of this until they could present it clearly to the consumer.

Mihos

Gold Member
And I've asked the question a few times in here but I have yet to hear any reason you'd need voice chat on the go anyway.

I play my mobile devices all the time on the go... wifi is everywhere, from playing at home on the deck, to my hotel room, to my transatlantic flight..... I can voice chat on my vita, gpd win, and tablet without need a second device. Mobile devices don't need a second device for comms, a mobile/home crossover console sure as hell shouldn't. Telling people what the don't need/want instead of providing it is the most bullshit of applogistic arguments.... and I sure as hell am not buying an 8 year old grandkid an ipad just so they can voice chat with grandpa while playing Mario kart.

Maximus.

I imagine this is a compromise due to hardware limitations and concerns over performance and battery. Seems that this could be plausible. Having to use a phone app doesn't bother me, I have my phone on me at all times anyways.

tr1p1ex

There are potential advantages to this method.

For example, you get an invite from a friend. You click yes and voila, your console starts up and you are put into the game with your friend.

On top of it I can see business reasons for this direction:

1) It really separates the kids from the adults. For a kid to voice chat on a Nintendo console they'd have to have a smartphone which means Mom or Dad would have to have ok'd it. A parent can still safely by a Nintendo console and not worry that the kid is hearing things they shouldn't.

2) They also have a mobile business starting to crank out games. A mobile friend's list/voice chat app lets them kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

AndyD

aka andydumi

For example, you get an invite from a friend. You click yes and voila, your console starts up and you are put into the game with your friend.

On top of it I can see business reasons for this direction:

1) It really separates the kids from the adults. For a kid to voice chat on a Nintendo console they'd have to have a smartphone which means Mom or Dad would have to have ok'd it. A parent can still safely by a Nintendo console and not worry that the kid is hearing things they shouldn't.

2) They also have a mobile business starting to crank out games. A mobile friend's list/voice chat app lets them kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

None of those are reasons why it should only be on a mobile device. Parental controls have existed for years and Nintendo's mobile efforts are far from stellar so far.

Toxi

Banned

I'm not sure why this offers any advantage. If I'm playing the system, I shouldn't need to use my phone to accept an invite.

And if I'm not playing, then I might be busy, in which case I'd want a friend to text me.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

That is no benefit over a Switch's parental controls, remember the Bowser video?

How is that a benefit for the Switch owner?

Sean

Banned

Don't see how this is any better, it's just introducing complexity and multiple points of failure. My phone is probably more likely to run out of battery cause I use it constantly all day.

Top Bottom