• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1468 (Including Resident Evil 7)

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Famitsu review become irrelevant nowadays, but still better than Polygon

dlauv

Considering how they inflate their scores, the fact that it's not 37-40 is alarming.

Just kidding.

True Fire

Famitsu's review style is so pointless, but people act like it's gospel.

Adding up reviews instead of averaging them is really, really dumb. If the scores were 10/10/10/6, the lone 6 would be worrisome. Because it's 9/9/9/9 it's contextually a lot different. Also, Famitsu has an odd habit of giving every high profile game 9s and 10s like it's confetti at Mardi Gras.

Adding up reviews instead of averaging them is really, really dumb. If the scores were 10/10/10/6, the lone 6 would be worrisome. Because it's 9/9/9/9 it's contextually a lot different. Also, Famitsu has an odd habit of giving every high profile game 9s and 10s like it's confetti at Mardi Gras.

who the hell acts like Famitsu is gospel?

The famous one is "Final Fantasy XIII scored higher than this game," it happens a lot in JRPG threads

U7Ghu2sh.jpg

KyleCross

BTW, I see the thread spoiler is kind big now. Is all of the game already spoiled? are people liking what they're reading?

Pretty much. We don't have full playthroughs yet but playthroughs of huge and important chunks of the game including the entire ending. We know the entire plot and many of the little details about it. We know the enemies, bosses, and general gameplay progression. So yeah, everything to make a solid call on the game.

I'm not getting this game because, despite being a huge RE fan, it isn't my style. That said, I actually am impressed with what I saw and I consider myself the harshest critic of this game. I would actually go out and buy it after what I've seen, if I wasn't too much of a coward to play it.

If people are looking forward to a solid scary horror game, this is it.

Pretty much. We don't have full playthroughs yet but playthroughs of huge and important chunks of the game including the entire ending. We know the entire plot and many of the little details about it. We know the enemies, bosses, and general gameplay progression. So yeah, everything to make a solid call on the game.

I'm not getting this game because, despite being a huge RE fan, it isn't my style. That said, I actually am impressed with what I saw and I consider myself the harshest critic of this game. I would actually go out and buy it after what I've seen, if I wasn't too much of a coward to play it.

If people are looking forward to a solid scary horror game, this is it.

Wow, thanks for this. I'm even more hyped now!

They are not much use but you've lost me with the adding up vs averaging. Why is 9/10 better than 36/40 for either example?

Sesha

So either the check bounced or RE7 is legit great.

I wouldn't say so, it's definitely a niche series. I can understand a more commercial site not concerned with fan reaction scoring it lower.

Saying that, Famitsu review scores are generally ridiculous.

RE is not a niche series.

lupinko

It's almost like Famitsu reviews don't mean jackshit.

They used to mean something a real long time ago. But with Japanese console hegemony crumbling, Famitsu decided to shil err promote games more.

Back in the day they would rarely give out perfect scores. Since last generation they've been giving them out like candy.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They said the following:
- first playthrough is 15 hours
- really illustrate the survival horror feeling, especially when you are getting chased by enemy
- PSVR compatibility is good, and its scary to play in it
- Some parts feels boring due to a little repetitive , but the story flow compensate them
- the quality is there regardless in PS4 or PSVR
- the content is a lacking but the scare level is strong

tesqui

Is there a popular but reputable Japanese video game magazine? All I ever hear about is Famitsu.

edit: Actually it doesn't even have to be a magazine. Is there a reputable video game review site in Japan?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
As a HUGE of everything that I've seen from RE7, I'd still ignore this score. Famitsu are just...not trustworthy in the slightest.

ranmafan

Is there a popular but reputable Japanese video game magazine? All I ever hear about is Famitsu.

There aren't that many magazines left these days except for system based ones mainly made for kids these days However Dengeki PlayStation is a good magazine and pretty much the second big one when it comes to game stuff in Japan. They have the number reviews like famitsu but also have much longer written reviews as well. Not sure how others feel about them but I like them and overall all I can say is just like with famitsu, I find both almost never have any differences when it comes to my views and their reviews. As for the nintendo based magazines, I never read them as they are so small on info or articles to read.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Honestly, wouldn't even be surprised if Famitsu's reviewers don't even come close to finishing the games they review. Most of their "reviews" read like something anybody could put together just from looking at some previews/videos online. Yeah sure, that's partly due to the fact that space for their review blurbs are really small, but at the same time, when you look at the reviewers, you notice it's the same handful of people reviewing multiple games per week, every week. Don't see how they can have the time to even come close to playing them all, especially considering the length of some of the games they review.

For the record, I don't like RE, so this isn't me being upset about the score.

Top Bottom