• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

''Apocalypse Now - The Game'' live on KS with FF Coppola on board. Goal is $900K

FelipeMGM

C3CEYNEXgAM3vW-.png:large

It is supposed to be a ''survival-horror RPG'' not focused on gun combat

Prototype trailer will be revealed soon

Francis Ford Coppola is excited to announce the game adaptation of Apocalypse Now directed by Montgomery Markland, executive produced by Lawrence Liberty and written by Rob Auten.

The game will be an immersive, psychedelic horror RPG from the creators, designers, directors, writers and producers of Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Everquest, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide, PlanetSide 2, Star Wars Galaxies and many more classic games.

This team of game development veterans have come together and obtained the approval of Francis Ford Coppola to bring Apocalypse Now to a new generation as a game.

We want your help because the traditional game publisher system won't let this happen.

But you can Make It Happen.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

Glixel also has an interview with Francis Ford Coppola about the project.

Vertti

After Alien Isolation I started wondering why there isn't more games based on old movies. There are some but not many.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its a very cool idea but movie directors getting into gaming don't always turn out so well.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wild as hell

Hopefully the Kickstarter reaches its goal.

Deft Beck

Because the best way to portray a nuanced, morally grey view into Vietnam is through a video game based on a movie based on a novel that it assuredly will not live up to in any way.

I mean, Spec Ops the Line pulled off a meaningful shooter narrative well, but I dunno about a licensed Kickstarter game by people I haven't heard of.

Lime

Yeah, I'm going to wait a bit with this. Except for the producers, the team doesn't inspire much confidence in me and the Kickstarter page seems quite amateurish. The text information seems superficial and the pictures seem half-baked. I hope for the best, though!

This is really interesting and surprising, Apocalypse Now is one of my favorite films, I never thought it would get a video game adaptation.

There is about 100 separate alarms going of in my head reading the Kickstarter page (dodgy rewards / milestones, ect), so this one is getting no money from me. I would happily buy it if/when it turns out is actually exists and possibly good.

Cabal

The movie is great, but do I want to play a game adaptation? Honestly, probably not. Will wait for footage.

Moff

damn when I read "from the developers of pillars of eternity, fallout new vegas" I went "WHAAAAT?" because i thought this was obsidians new game

sadly, it's not.
Apocalypse now is one of my personal top 3 movies ever, but I think I'll just buy this when it's released, if it's good

Plum

Apart from all the suspicious jank on the Kickstarter page I can't see how this would work.

If it's a straight adaptation then it's needless as, unless you're doing a Heart of Darkness -> Apocalypse Now or Apocalypse/Heart -> Spec Ops: The Line-style loose adaptation there is nothing more you can say in the medium of video games that wasn't said by the original or Spec Ops: The Line. I doubt that the team would be able to make up for the inevitably worse overall pacing, cinematography, dialogue, acting, etc it will have either.

If it's a brand new story then the only thing making it "Apocalypse Now" would be references to Kurtz, Willard and the other characters. Apocalypse Now isn't like Friday the 13th; the journey of Willard (along with Coppola's style, of course) is the only thing differentiating it from other Vietnam films of its time. They could just rehash the same "fall into madness" story but then it would just fall into what I talked about above.

If it turns out good then I'll be happy we're getting a Vietnam survival horror game, that's one of my "cool video game ideas you want made." However I can see that it being called Apocalypse Now will mean little to me at best or be a detriment to the game at worst.

Top Bottom