• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber Rider and the Star Sherrifs: The Game - Kickstarter now live! (3DS/PC/MAC/LIN)

TheMoon

lol i never knew that saber rider is more of a german thing.... i thought this was a US show for a long time and is equally known in every european country.... welp i guess not.

but yeah, would love to see this on vita/3ds.

and i dont know, some of the pics do not really look like 16-bit at all. it looks more 32-bit, if you ask me.

The mock-up looks like a GBA game to me, honestly. I don't see an issue with that.

They really should've been more proactive with this though. There are so many good examples or guides for how to run a good KS.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The mock-up looks like a GBA game to me, honestly. I don't see an issue with that.

They really should've been more proactive with this though. There are so many good examples or guides for how to run a good KS.

Again, this isn't a "they didn't adequately prepare for their campaign thing", it's a "they're hopelessly unreliable and don't deserve your attention" thing. Look back over all the things posted in this thread: the years spent working/reworking/relaunching this game with nothing to show for it, the money they already took, the alleged lies about Manfred Trenz' involvement, etc.

I don't think they're running a scam--the very fact that they're still hinging all their plans on fuckin' Saber Rider suggests they're merely deluded and in denial about their own failings as developers--but that doesn't mean you should trust them with your money.

TheMoon

Entered this thread having seen adverts on Miiverse. Yup.
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/BplusGames.com/posts

So the BPlusGames dev is working with them on this. Interesting.

Bernd+
Bit Boy!! ARCADE Community

Thanks for all your tips, your help and your support.

Chris Strauß, the one with the license of Saber Rider, was so amazed by Bit Boy!! ARCADE so he contacted me. He told me how great my engine is and that I'm the one who is able to make the first Saber Rider game. And here we are now.

I created a playable alpha version for Nintendo 3DS and he made all the Kickstarter-Stuff. Now we need to spread the word. So we really need your help now.

More Gameplay material will be revealed soon.

[=)]
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAAADVHkZuFVEzw?sctw=1
https://twitter.com/BplusGames/status/638077304237916162

CNfQF-4WoAAgIqu.jpg

TheMoon

Seems like there has been an update to the Gamestar article: every backer of the old campaign will get the new game (if the kickstarter is successful).

Huh, interesting. So now I'm getting two copies?! :D (confused, I am!)

edit: oh, they also added stuff to the FAQ at the bottom.

Classic ports (Dreamcast, SNES, PC Engine/TG16) stretch goals? How does it work?

These two stretch goals are very important to us.
Back in the 90s we always wanted to have a real Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs video game on our SNES or Genesis.
Many anime series got their own games like Macross for example but unfortunately not Saber Rider. This circumstance was ultimately the reason to take on this quest, getting the license and do the game on our own.

In the last years the homebrew scene (making games for classic systems) has become quite strong. Because of this it is now possible to develop on older Systems like Dreamcast, SNES or even PC Engine/TG16. The Dreamcast scene for example is very active and a lot of very cool stuff comes from there. There also very cool projects out there for PC Engine. Atlantean from Aetherbyte is one of them. The SNES has a very good example there was a project on Kickstarter not so long ago. It was a Super Nintendo Game called Sydney Hunter and the Caverns of Death and they from made almost $40k. You can find the project here: https://goo.gl/YinacX

When we planned this campaign we were not sure, if we should include these stretch goals.
The fact that we could do the game we ever wanted as kids on the gaming system we
had back then was just too tempting, so we included it. With Kickstarter it is possible. Real 80s IP on real classic systems is just too cool. With this a real dream would come true.

Some people asked why these two stretch goals are so high.
Doing these versions requires a lot of work. While we can reuse most of our graphics,
the code cannot be used and needs to be rewritten for each platform.
Also each of these three platforms is entirely different from each other so you can
not just "port it over"

The Sega Dreamcast and the PC Engine/TG16 version will CD based.
The SNES Version is of course Cartridge based. Producing real cartridges is no problem anymore these days. The PC Engine/TG16 version will be special because this would be the first ever run'n'gun shoot'em up game on this system.
We really would love to do these versions!

The classic ports will cost the following:

Dreamcast Version (2 Disc): $59,95 USD
SNES Version: $129,95 USD
PC Engine/TG16 Version (2 Disc): $59,95 USD

All 3 Versions will include:

- The Game (of course)
- Retro game box
- printed exclusive retro game manual
- Star Sheriffs Badge (EBU)
- printed Jesse Blue Wanted Poster
- Game Soundtrack on CD

Shipping:

Germany $7 USD
EU $10 USD
World $19 USD

We got many question if there is a way to pledge for the classic systems directly.
Because these are stretch goals it is not possible to offer pledge levels for this systems now.
But we can offer the following solution.
You can pledge now. Choose for example the Cadet Level for $5, adjust the amount of money to the prices above and very important, leave us a message that you want the classic version and which one.

As soon as we reach the stretch goals we will also introduce new pledge levels for this
Systems so you can choose from them directly.

Many people wrote, that they want to pledge for the classic versions
but want to wait until this stretch goals are reached. If you consider supporting us, please don’t wait. In order to reach the 250k for the classic ports it is very important to get as many pledges as early as possible. First we need to reach the main goal of $75k and this as fast as possible. This is the biggest hurdle to take now. Only with you and the fine communities we can make it!

Thank you very much.
Last updated: Tue, Sep 1 2015 5:38 PM CES

Whats about the Amiibo stretch goal?

If we reach this stretch goal, we will produce a Ramrod Amiibo which will trigger certain features in our game. Every licensed Nintendo Developer can produce his own Amiibo but first it needs to be approved by Nintendo of course. Producing a Amiibo is expensive, that is why the stretchgoal is quite high.

and here for the stuff about the first campaign on PLING (which was Germany-only)

Ich war bei pling dabei, zählt das noch? (german only)

Ja, aber sicher! Die pling-Unterstützer wurden nicht vergessen.
Jeder Plinger ist automatisch beteiligt und bekommt für die auf pling gespendete Summe automatisch sein Spiel mit dem entsprechenden Reward von Kickstarter.
Ausserdem werden alle Plinger namentlich in den Credits erwähnt.
Bei einigen war das ja eh Bestandteil seines alten Rewards.

Zatoth

Seems like there has been an update to the Gamestar article: every backer of the old campaign will get the new game (if the kickstarter is successful).

Glad that they acknowledge the former pledger after all. Still don't have a good feeling about this kickstarter though.

The stretch goals are so damn stupid. Releasing first to Wii U, then to SNES and Dreamcast, and then to PS4 and XB1, and then Amiibo, and then at half a million an "HD Port"?!

Why spend the time and resources porting it to SNES and Dreamcast?! What's happening!!

I want to back this but the stretch goals are killing me.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The stretch goals are stupid because the people behind this game are idiots who can't and won't deliver anything.

Occam

Looking at those bizarro-world stretch goals, these guys seem to be completely clueless.
And as far as the game is concerned, nothing they show inspires confidence (game design, artistic quality). Saber Rider deserves better.

I think I'll hang on to my money.

nynt9

I'm really skeptical as to how they think back-porting the game into SNES will be easier than porting it to PS4.

Those Dreamcast & PC Engine stretch goals.

Not sure what they are doing but those are the right platforms for whatever it is.

Zubz

Banned
Well, these guys are ambitious, I'll give them that! The game looks interesting, and I love the aesthetic. However, I've seen enough Kickstarters underestimate insurmountable stretch goals, ruining the project. I mean, Story Wars had a full-on "Animated Short" stretch goal that was only $2,000 more than the last. It cost them closer to $500,000, so the company used the profits from the game's non-KS sales to cover it, then they stopped producing the game and went under immediately after giving backers everything they promised.

Dreamcast, SNES, and PC Engine are neat stretch goals conceptually, but those systems are long-since dead. Nobody's buying them any more, and there won't be enough demand for novelty back-ports to warrant the cost. Plus, they're prioritized over PS4 and XB1 ports, despite those consoles being where they'd make the bulk of their money. Then there's the whole Amiibo thing... Shovel Knight's a rare exception, from a company with a 3/4 million-seller after branching off of another trusted company. Outside of Smash guests and the Skylanders crossover, no one else has a deal drafted for Amiibo. I doubt a mere $400,000 stretch goal would convince Nintendo to start up negotiations for an Amiibo.

I mean, I like/am interested in this project. But they're making a lot of promises with no way to ensure they'll be kept, and are making other decisions without considering the consequences of, say, prioritizing the SNES over 2/3 of the current gen consoles. These stretch goals really have me questioning how much they've thought any of them through, and in turn, also have me questioning how the game itself'll be handled.

TheMoon

Then there's the whole Amiibo thing... Shovel Knight's a rare exception, from a company with a 3/4 million-seller after branching off of another trusted company. Outside of Smash guests and the Skylanders crossover, no one else has a deal drafted for Amiibo. I doubt a mere $400,000 stretch goal would convince Nintendo to start up negotiations for an Amiibo.

Main guy worked at NOE for 6 years. Nintendo just has to sign off on the amiibo pitch.

TheMoon

stretch goals have been restructured.

PS4/X1 now moved in front of PCE/SNES versions

Dreamcast now part of the base goal (?!)

Hello backers and potential backers!

Today we have awesome news for the Sega Dreamcast Community!
We got a lot of messages asking if we can include the Dreamcast version from the start. It was difficult but we found a way. You can now pledege directly for your physical Dreamcast Version of Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs!

We have added 3 different Rewards

Dream Special Level 1 - Game only with Manual and Spine Card $49 - USD
Dream Special Level 2 - includes also the Games Soundtack on a second CD - $99 USD
Dream Special Level 3 - includes also the the Saber Rider Art Book - $139 USD

Please check the reward list for details.

We also reorganized the stretch goals a bit and added some Work in Progress 2D pixelart from the PC Version to our campaign page.
c13a213c956ba0baf087d8auuu.png

Zubz

Banned
Main guy worked at NOE for 6 years. Nintendo just has to sign off on the amiibo pitch.

I still don't know, though. Shovel Knight may have cracked the floodgates open, but I still don't think we'll be seeing too many other 3rd Party Amiibo. Having an in with NOE or not, that would still mean we'd have an Amiibo of an anime character before, say, Daisy, and it'd be as a stretch goal for an unreleased game.

At the very least, Shovel Knight sold well for a year before fans started clamoring for him in the Smash Ballot, which probably sparked that deal. By that point, Shovel Knight was already a popular character with Nintendo fans, which is something Nintendo knew. I just think a $300K stretch goal is far from enough for an anime-based game to get an Amiibo.

Glad to see that the PS4 & XB1 goals got moved up, though. I love the idea of an SNES port, but I think that'd take up way too much time, and that prioritizing it over hitting 2/3 of the current gen consoles just seems silly.

TheMoon

I still don't know, though. Shovel Knight may have cracked the floodgates open, but I still don't think we'll be seeing too many other 3rd Party Amiibo. Having an in with NOE or not, that would still mean we'd have an Amiibo of an anime character before, say, Daisy, and it'd be as a stretch goal for an unreleased game.

At the very least, Shovel Knight sold well for a year before fans started clamoring for him in the Smash Ballot, which probably sparked that deal. By that point, Shovel Knight was already a popular character with Nintendo fans, which is something Nintendo knew. I just think a $300K stretch goal is far from enough for an anime-based game to get an Amiibo.

Glad to see that the PS4 & XB1 goals got moved up, though. I love the idea of an SNES port, but I think that'd take up way too much time, and that prioritizing it over hitting 2/3 of the current gen consoles just seems silly.

Nintendo isn't making them, they're not involved aside from signing off and granting the license.

galvatron

I wonder if the game will suck in the true tradition of licensed games from that era :)

While I wasn't crazy about the show aside from Peter Cullen's Ramrod voice, I have to say that the soundtrack is amazingly good considering how low budget the show looked. It's on spotify if you're curious...

pants

I love Sabre Rider, so much. But I cant support this, it's utterly misguided to even allocate cycles to old tech just because.

Zubz

Banned
Nintendo isn't making them, they're not involved aside from signing off and granting the license.

Yeah, but they still need to give that license first, and I don't think they'd be too open with it. Plus, it'd cost a lot more than what the stretch goal is asking for. It's a cool idea, and I'd love for it to work. I just think it's unlikely that it will. Same with the SNES port, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, though; I'm still interested in backing this! I just think that some of these stretch goals are shooting for the moon with parts they had in their backyard. I'll be excited if everything works out, though!

TheMoon

Yeah, but they still need to give that license first, and I don't think they'd be too open with it. Plus, it'd cost a lot more than what the stretch goal is asking for. It's a cool idea, and I'd love for it to work. I just think it's unlikely that it will. Same with the SNES port, sadly.

Don't get me wrong, though; I'm still interested in backing this! I just think that some of these stretch goals are shooting for the moon with parts they had in their backyard. I'll be excited if everything works out, though!

I honestly don't even care about any of these stretch goals. I just want them to get funding for the base game so this finally can get made properly.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I honestly don't even care about any of these stretch goals. I just want them to get funding for the base game so this finally can get made properly.

They've been jerking off for 10 years now; this game won't get made no matter how much they raise.

EloKa

pretty much spent my childhood watching Saber Rider and I'd love to have a Saber Rider game ... but not like this.

Wow, I was checking kicktraq regularly and it seemed like the project wouldn't make it but since today it's trending towards 102% of its funding goal.

You can clearly see how the reordering of the stretch goals a few days ago affected the daily pledges.

Let's see if it can stay on track.

TheMoon

Paypal, Steam Greenlight & PC Engine
0 Comments

Howdy backers and potential backers!

We have a few updates for you today.

PayPal:

It is now possible to support our campaign through PayPal. Just follow this link: http://goo.gl/KXPcOc
Unfortunately there are a few limitations. We can offer PayPal only to EU citizens and we can only collect in EURO currency. Also the rewards through PayPal are a little bit more expensive because they charge 1, 9% + 0, 35 Euro in fees. This PayPal option is meant just for those people without a credit card. If you have one please pledge on Kickstarter directly.

Steam Greenlight:

In order to release our game on Steam, we need to get our project greenlit. Please vote for our game here:http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=508557379 This takes just a few seconds. Thank you very much.

PC Engine:

Last week we teamed up with a very talented group specialized in PC Engine development. We reached a deal with them and so it became possible to include this port it into our 75k main goal. The estimated release date is Q2 2017

We have added 4 reward levels just for PC Engine.

BEE SPECIAL LEVEL 1 $49
BEE SPECIAL LEVEL 2 $99
BEE SPECIAL LEVEL 3 $139
ENGINE PRO LEVEL $189

Very soon we will surpass 50% of our funding. There are still 2 weeks left and this is more than enough time to make this project a reality. If you are interested in our project please support us.

Keep it up guys! Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Chris
Team Saber Rider

They're at $37,399 pledged of $75,000 goal with 14 days to go at the moment. Will be a close call if it keeps going like this.

Remk

I was curious how this would turn out:

58,008 of 75,000 with 5 days to go

It still could make it, but those stretch goals seem very silly now

mosaic

go eat paint
I was all excited to back after seeing both a Kickstarter Staff Pick and Watermelon's email blast .... then I remembered and researched their past effort.... and then I considered that they plan to create and ship PC, 3DS, DC, and PCE versions of the game for only $75,000... and ship a bunch of random bric-a-brac as well.

The numbers and history just don't work, and for that reason: I'm out.

(Thank God it's not Galaxy Rangers -- I'd set fire to my wallet for that)

Shiggy

I could actually see them produce something with that budget. Just based on the demo footage and their inexperience, I'd expect it to suck.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I could actually see them produce something with that budget. Just based on the demo footage and their inexperience, I'd expect it to suck.

The thing to remember is the people running the KS basically aren't making any version of the game anymore: the 3DS version is by Bplus, the various retro versions are being outsourced to people in those respective communities, etc.

That's not to say you should trust this KS--these people clearly don't know how to manage money and I kinda wonder if they even have the license to the show--but the fact that they've delegated the actual work to other people is probably the only positive to this whole situation. Money was never really the issue.

TheMoon

Inexperience? They've all been working in games for ages. BPlusGames (dev of Bit Boy Arcade) is making the 3DS version.

Shiggy

The thing to remember is the people running the KS basically aren't making any version of the game anymore: the 3DS version is by Bplus, the various retro versions are being outsourced to people in those respective communities, etc.

That's not to say you should trust this KS--these people clearly don't know how to manage money and I kinda wonder if they even have the license to the show--but the fact that they've delegated the actual work to other people is probably the only positive to this whole situation. Money was never really the issue.

The track record of Bplus is not exactly making me confident. But I guess that guy can make the game at a low budget, which is probably what matters the most.

Shiggy

Inexperience? They've all been working in games for ages. BPlusGames (dev of Bit Boy Arcade) is making the 3DS version.

Have you seen their past prototypes or did you even read up on their mismanagement in the past?

The Bit Boy games and Plättchen weren't exactly good games either. The 3DS game got a Metacritic average of 53 and the demo I played makes me think it was justified.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The track record of Bplus is not exactly making me confident. But I guess that guy can make the game at a low budget, which is probably what matters the most.

The money isn't going directly to Bplus or any of these other developers, though--it's going to the no-hopers running the KS and they may or may not make appropriate use of that money. They could have (claimed to have) hired Treasure for all the difference it'd make.

Top Bottom