• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch is sold as bundle in SEA

vareon

I don't know about any Asian countries, but at least in Indonesia (where I live) and Singapore, local shops are forced to sell Switch with mandatory 1-2 Switch and Zelda bundled. In my experience this jacks up the price to about $480 plus a game I don't plan to buy now.

I'm still not sure if this is a distributor or Nintendo thing (some sellers are claiming this is Nintendo's orders) and I found a reddit thread claiming that Hong Kong does the same.

I really hope the region free works without hassle like PS4, but this is shitty situation and a heads up for anyone thinking to buy Switch in this region.

Link:
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/...ed-with-games-no-standalone-option-at-launch/

H13

Do the retailers even show yet the price of the bundle?
In my country, they did not yet show the price,

I brought a 3DS XL in Hong Kong and they forced a game on me with the purchase, but as I could choose any game without restriction I think it's more of a retailer thing to make some margin.

McDougles

A Nintendo-only site posting bare scraps of information from a second-hand Reddit user with unverified information is nothing to startle yourself over just yet.

nampad

Zelda wouldn't be so bad as most of the buyers probably want that one anyway but 1-2 Switch is another story.

In any way, sucks for the customers.

vareon

A Nintendo-only site posting bare scraps of information from a second-hand Reddit user with unverified information is nothing to startle yourself over just yet.

I'm told by multiple resellers in my city (that's how Nintendo stuff are sold in this country). They don't like this information, too.

LewieP

I wonder if anywhere will sell them at all here (Cambodia). I have no plans to get one at launch, but I'd usually import stuff like this.

pislit

one store in the philippines now accepts pre-order but it seems like for the console only. no information still from the biggest video game retailer here yet.

Vinnk

Gotta sell 1 2 Switch somehow...

Might as well use it a ransom to be able to play Zelda.

Who knows? 1 2 Switch might be a lot of fun at parties.

antonz

Will happen in the US. Many of the retailers do that with their allotment that is beyond preorders. Oh you want one of the 10 consoles we have over there? well you can have it if you buy X,Y and Z as well otherwise out of luck

Magnus

I don't know why I was OK with this happening for some console launches in Canada years ago. I recall the GBA had to be bought with two games, and I think the X-Box did too....?

It's terrible.

Gamestop still does this? EB Games in Canada has stopped afaik.

Shengar

$480?! Shouldn't it be like 420 or less since it'd bundle?

There's quite a mark up involved with the local store usually. It can add a lot to the price especially at launch date. It's even worse with none-Sony stuffs since Sony have official branch and presence here that makes the prices a lot more bearable.

=====

The problem with the bundle is that it jacked up prices worse that it sold as single item. Switch with Zelda BotW should've costed $380 at the barest minimum and $420 ideally. That 1-2 Switch feels like a sting since most people doesn't view as a game worth enough to jack up the price that high

black_clavus

Neo Member
I want to play zelda at launch so bad, but this condition is.. uh :(

oh well, hope my friends / colleagues at my office agree to play 1 2 switch at lunch break

i'm surprised that I've heard nothing about this happening in Malaysia.... then again I never cared about my local distribution much lol

KaoteK

I wonder if anywhere will sell them at all here (Cambodia). I have no plans to get one at launch, but I'd usually import stuff like this.

Holy shit, another GAF member in Cambodia!

I'm really hoping the prices are better here than they were for the WiiU, games for 80 bucks was a piss take.

Dragbolt

Yup, in Singapore here. Seems like there will only be bundles with 1,2 Switch and BOTW. Not like I was going to purchase it day one anyway, so there's that.

sirap

i'm surprised that I've heard nothing about this happening in Malaysia.... then again I never cared about my local distribution much lol

Oh it's happening. Just got a text from a store I registered my pre-order "interest" in that confirms this. Not surprised considering all of our stock comes from Maxsoft (Singapore)

Sporad

Neo Member
Yep, can confirm this in Hong Kong. Didn't bother me as I wanted those two games anyway, but the bundle didn't result in any kind of discount. Came to USD 400

Defuser

I'm not surprised. Nintendo never gave a shit about South East Asia or any asia countries that is not Japan. And fuck Maxsoft.

The Asian branch of Nintendo is the only one with head on its shoulders, aware that 1-2-Switch should be a pack-in.
/?

Sakujou

Banned
as far as i know, this is a store thing. when i was in thailand, my friends told me, that they rarely find non-bundled versions of consoles.

is the price the same in indonesia?

Shiggy

Maybe they want to make importing the system more difficult. If I bought it in Japan, as a European I'd save 80 Euros. By having to sell to games which I don't want, it's getting more troublesome.

I was in Singapore this past week and 2 retailers were accepting preorders. None of them mentioned a bundle. they had the console separately and the accessories and games after.

Shengar

I'm not surprised. Nintendo never gave a shit about South East Asia or any asia countries that is not Japan. And fuck Maxsoft.
Just opening a branch in Singapore would be enough. World class company my ass. As much as I love Nintendo game, I can't deny that they neglecting Asia market around them.
as far as i know, this is a store thing. when i was in thailand, my friends told me, that they rarely find non-bundled versions of consoles.

is the price the same in indonesia?

If they got it from the same distributor, which probably is Singapore or Hong Kong, then it'll be hardly a store thing. I don't know why they can't just split it though.

Defuser

I was in Singapore this past week and 2 retailers were accepting preorders. None of them mentioned a bundle. they had the console separately and the accessories and games after.

They just got a update from the distributor which is Maxsoft saying they have to sell the bundle. So now those already preordered before the news are forced to buy the bundle if not, the preorder is canceled and refunded.

MaxDOL

It most likely Maxsoft who force this bundle crap on us.

My local Thai game shop choose to import directly from the US instead for pre-order.

Tadaima

Ōkami;229111550 said:
Some retailers in Japan are doing it too, seems like its for the whole region.
Maybe online, but all of the major outlets in Japan allow customers to purchase the Switch only.

In fact, where I pre-ordered (Bic Camera), there was no bundle at all.

Currently in Malaysia right now and a reseller informed me that you also have to buy it both with BotW and 12Switch. Sucks as budget is still tight. I wonder how much it is going to sell for as shops don't have any idea yet on the price.

Top Bottom