• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tons of Japanese devs share thoughts about the Switch presentation and Switch itself

http://nintendoeverything.com/tons-...his-months-switch-presentation-system-itself/

Thank you Nintendo Everything for the translation! Here is just some of the notable impressions I found to be interesting:

Grasshopper Manufacture – Suda51

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I did the ”Pro-Wrestling LOVE Pose" at the presentation, but I don't think people were digging it. But it broke the ice with the audience, so I think I'll keep doing it. I'll call it ”SWITCH LOVE" instead of ”Pro-Wrestling LOVE"! Anyway, I announced to everyone that I will be bringing back my most beloved character, Travis Touchdown. I'm so glad I got to announce his comeback at such a huge smackdown. It's slammin'!

INTERESTING ASPECTS OF SWITCH

There's a lot of different ones, but the biggest innovation is the HD Rumble. Playing games takes way too much time, doesn't it? So I think it's really important that the HD Rumble is used just right for physical experiences, and I want to invent some brand-new mechanics.

Square Enix – Ryota Aomi (Dragon Quest Heroes series producer; also producing Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 for Nintendo Switch)

HD Rumble, and the evolution of the gyro-controls in the Wii remotes. If developers make good enough use of them, I think they can surpass the innovations that were achieved with the Wii, so I'm really looking forward to their results. HD Rumble is hard to understand it without experiencing it in person, but it's really amazing. We've included functionality for it in Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 for Switch, so please look forward to that.

Jiro Ishii (General director and producer for 428 and other sound/visual novel games)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

Do digital games dream of analogue games? Is Nintendo trying to liberate digital games from what are known as screens? That is what I have been expecting Nintendo to do since the Wii U, and now my prediction has come true. They have finally escaped the shackles of the screen with the Switch, and introduced to us a digital game where players stand eye to eye. The possibilities are infinite. As a fan of analogue games, it is overwhelming.

Is an HD Rumble novel possible? What kinds of images can we evoke from worlds depicted with just letters and vibrations? Fear induced by the rumbling. Suspense. I think it would be possible to create an overwhelmingly frightening game with it. Also, the feeling and weight of it. This is a little embarrassing, but I think it is a good fit for romance-themed visual noels as well. And just imagine how HD rumble controllers could enhance analogue games like Werewolf. I just can't stop fantasizing about new and exciting uses/possibilities for it (laughs).

Spike Chunsoft – Yuichiro Saito (Danganronpa series associate producer; also produced Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky, etc.)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I was surprised they kept the price in that range, considering it's got that huge screen and those two controllers. People are going to think, ”With a price like that...!"

The IR camera and HD Rumble. Especially the HD Rumble, which is capable of conveying far more intricate sensations than anything up to now. I keep imagining new ways to use it, like during the exploration segments of adventure games.

SEGA – Mizuki Hosoyamada (Puyo Puyo series producer; also developed Sonic series; currently developing Puyo Puyo Tetris S for Nintendo Switch)

We're already working on Puyo Tetris S for it, but if I were to make a new game on it, I think I'd probably do something that focused on the split nature of the Joy-Con, where you attach different things to them. The fact that the online services will be subscription-based in the future is something important to consider. I think it would also be essential to base a ground-up game on the HD Rumble.

Bandai Namco – Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken Project director; also produced the PSVR title ”Summer Lesson")

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I wasn't expecting them to begin the presentation by announcing the price. The price is exactly what I'd expect from a marketing point of view, but if you count all the individual peripherals...

The full thing is pretty cheap, and I say that as someone familiar with the inner workings of the system. I have no idea how they kept the price that low.

I've been interested in the HD Rumble for some time now. You can feel a glass marble rolling around inside of a metal box, or feel the spot where a bouncy ball bounces. It's interesting that it can be used like the so-called 3D sound. And this is just a crazy idea of mine, but the system itself is so light that if you took out the Joy-Con with the IR camera and set it up, and placed the screen in some kind of apparatus, you could transform it into a wireless VRHMD by rendering the left and right sides of the screen separately for each eye. So I think the Switch is capable of a lot of different things, depending on the ideas of the developer.

Marvelous – Kenichiro Takaki (Senran Kagura producer)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I've actually known about the Switch's features since its early stages and I'm personally looking forward to it.

Definitely the HD Rumble. I want to use it to have people feel softness (laughs). I already have something planned, and am currently polishing it up so that it can be realized. Games are all about what ‘feels good', so I want to create a brand new experience specifically for the Nintendo Switch.

Idea Factory – Norihisa Kochiwa (Hyperdimension Neptunia series executive producer and general director of Idea Factory and Compile Heart)

The vibration is really intricate when you're actually playing. I think it would be great for horror games, you could create a thrilling experience that hasn't been seen up until now, using a combination of sights, sounds, and touch. And the IR camera can detect hand motions and such, I think there will be some interesting games released that make use of this feature. So I'm really interested in the Joy-Con! I'd like to make one of the kinds of games we're known for on the Switch, using these features.

Capcom – Ryozo Tsujimoto (Monster Hunter series producer)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I was surprised at how quickly they announced the release date and price. This presentation was much different from how they usually do them. They carefully explained each of the Switch's features one by one. I was impressed by everyone's acting abilities as well.

There's a lot of them, but personally I'm interested in the vibration. I didn't think it was possible to enhance vibration features any further.

There are even more impressions in the article itself than just these, available in the Nintendo Everything article. I've noticed a huge interest with HD Rumble with many of these devs, it gets me seriously pumped for the Switch release. What opinion do you have for some of these impressions?

kagamin

The thing is cheap for the price of the parts, huh? That doesn't exempt it from being compared price-wise to other systems sadly.

18-Volt

Interesting, Idea Factory is there. Until now, all IF have done for Nintendo platforms were couple of Hakuoki otomes. Could Switch be the platform that IF bring their bigger and more important franchises? They weren't on the Nintendo's big list of 3rd party partners.

Eolz

Poor Suda.
It's interesting to see so many japanese devs interested by the HD rumble, whereas western devs seem more interested by the joycon separation...

Glassboy

It's crazy how everyone is so excited with HD rumble. I have a feeling this is gonna be super cool if correctly implemented

solarus

Definitely the HD Rumble.
I want to use it to have people feel softness (laughs)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )

Hattori

Banned
did Japanese devs get first dibs on Switch kits? seems like most of them are in the know compared to western counterparts

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good thing I decided to check GAF while I was putting the finishing touches on my thread on this XD

Bandai Namco – Katsuhiro Harada (Tekken Project director; also produced the PSVR title “Summer Lesson”)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I wasn’t expecting them to begin the presentation by announcing the price. The price is exactly what I’d expect from a marketing point of view, but if you count all the individual peripherals…

The full thing is pretty cheap, and I say that as someone familiar with the inner workings of the system. I have no idea how they kept the price that low.

So Harada IS working on stuff on Switch, I suppose

PlatinumGames – Atsushi Inaba

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I thought it was very interesting that Nintendo pushed the people who would carry the future of the company front and center during the presentation, even more-so than the allure of the hardware and games shown.

PlatinumGames has already come out saying we’re developing games for the Nintendo Switch, so we understand what the hardware is capable of. Which is why the price was surprising. This thing is seriously cheap. I think it’s the result of a tremendous amount of work, and it’s an indication of their strong desire to see their hardware reach a lot of markets.

So Platinum ARE actively working on stuff too

Bukkoro – Yoko Taro (Director and scenario writer for Drakengard and NieR series)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

When I heard that both the Switch and Breath of the Wild were coming out a week after the game I’m currently working on, all of my memories vanished.

I don’t know, as I no longer have any memories. But it’s wonderful that you can separate the controllers from the screen. They didn’t announce anything like this at the presentation, but I hope the Switch is capable of a vertical mode. For vertical shooters or pinball, of course. Please take that into consideration.

So Yoko Taro IS amazing, indeed.

Eolz

did Japanese devs get first dibs on Switch kits? seems like most of them are in the know compared to western counterparts

I think it's not really news that even if western third parties have nintendo devkits, apart of indies, they're never that excited. Just look at that weird comment from Codemasters, or EA and its "custom version" of FIFA in 6 months.

That said, some japanese third parties will always get devkits first from Nintendo (like Capcom, Sega or Square-Enix).

meppi

I'd love to see Shiren 6 from Chunsoft and Gundam Breaker 4 from Namco.
Come on guys! Don't let me down!

And while I'm dreaming, Sandlot should give us Reginleiv 1+2 and EDF 5! :)

It's interesting that so many developers consider the price cheap, I think it is too when you compare it to devices of similar form factors (tablets).

They're excited for HD rumble, yet the feedback from people that have used it is generally that it's too subtle/weak. As someone who turns off rumble in every console from the start, yawn.

EDarkness

I really want to try the HD Rumble now. So many devs keep talking about it and it sounds pretty sweet. Let's hope they create some great games using it.

It's really interesting seeing the devs comment on the cheap price of the system. I never thought it was expensive myself, but didn't think it was cheap. Also, the HD rumble is really popular among them. I'm definitely excited on how it'll add to immersion in games and whether it'll be implemented in any gameplay mechanisms besides just mini-games.

StereoVsn

It's interesting that most Japanese Devs think that Switch is cheap. Wouldn't have thought that.

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

I’ve actually known about the Switch’s features since its early stages and I’m personally looking forward to it.

Definitely the HD Rumble. I want to use it to have people feel softness (laughs). I already have something planned, and am currently polishing it up so that it can be realized. Games are all about what ‘feels good’, so I want to create a brand new experience specifically for the Nintendo Switch.

Vita 2 confirmed! Switch is Life.

They're excited for HD rumble, yet the feedback from people that have used it is generally that it's too subtle/weak. As someone who turns off rumble in every console from the start, yawn.

I don't think that is the consensus at all. Some games don't take full advantage of HD rumble like Breath of the Wild, it is there but it's not a huge focus of the game. I haven't heard a single negative impression about HD rumble in 1 2 Switch.

Effect

That some are surprised at the price and consider it cheap is interesting. Especially the Harada and Inaba comments regarding what the system can do. I can't wait for games that were made specifically for the Switch or with a Switch version in mind from the start.

Bukkoro – Yoko Taro (Director and scenario writer for Drakengard and NieR series)

THOUGHTS ON PRESENTATION

When I heard that both the Switch and Breath of the Wild were coming out a week after the game I’m currently working on, all of my memories vanished.

I don’t know, as I no longer have any memories. But it’s wonderful that you can separate the controllers from the screen. They didn’t announce anything like this at the presentation, but I hope the Switch is capable of a vertical mode. For vertical shooters or pinball, of course. Please take that into consideration.

LOL!!!! Once Breath of the Wild's date got announced, I can imagine him just being in absolute shock sitting in his place after people were leaving the building.

Interesting to see a comment from MAGES, I thought it was kind of funny that Chiyomaru Shikura mentions the race-to-the-bottom prices of digital games and hoping Nintendo can change the trend. But will they actually make games for it? Holding my breath.

Isn't subtlety kind of the point of it in the first place?

Multiple impression videos from the hands-on presentations.

Did they specify which games were weak? I've heard Breath of the Wild doesn't take full advantage of it but the guy who runs GoNintendo said he could literally feel the bubbles when Link was drowning aha.

HD rumble clearly isn't weak judging by the solid impressions of 1 2 Switch, it's how a game uses it.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Great to see devs thinking about HD rumble integration - plus it sounds like DanganRonpa might end up there. Switch could be a great system for adventure games.

Coda

Interesting, let's just hope they actually make games instead of all this, "the technology is cool" kind of talk.

Did they specify which games were weak? I've heard Breath of the Wild doesn't take full advantage of it but the guy who runs GoNintendo said he could literally feel the bubbles when Link was drowning aha.

HD rumble clearly isn't weak judging by the solid impressions of 1 2 Switch, it's how a game uses it.

Breath of the Wild doesn't use it at all actually, in the retail copies.

Interesting, let's just hope they actually make games instead of all this, "the technology is cool" kind of talk.

Platinum literally said they are making Switch games in this article, that's a pretty cool announcement.

Maybe we could even get a Scalebound spiritual successor.

I still don't "get" HD rumble. Gotta try it out because it sounds really interesting.

I wonder if Smash Switch will use it? You feel the falcon punch or something.

Coda

Platinum literally said they are making Switch games in this article, that's a pretty cool announcement.

Maybe we could even get a Scalebound spiritual successor.

Man I hope so. I'm buying in day 1 so a new Platinum title will cement my purchase just like Bayonetta 2 cemented my purchase with the Wii U.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Fuck yeah thread. This HD Rumble enthusiasm makes me happy. I needed this with Trump making me want to vomit.

StayDead

To counter that guy who's saying that the rumble feels weak with no evidence, I went to a hands-on and played with the rumble for a good few hours and it feels far from weak.

It really is strong when the game is designed entirely around the use of it.

jonno394

Senran kagura dev knowing specs for some time makes me think its safe to assume they'll be fully on board with their vita/3ds titles transitioning to switch.

IF and Compile Heart commenting also give me hope for Neptunia.

Breath of the Wild doesn't use it at all actually, in the retail copies.

I'm a bit confused by this, there are official statements saying it doesn't but people who have tried it say it does in subtle places. You're probably right specifying retail copies, they may have enabled a few small elements just to demo the system at the event.

No, they didn't specify games. I was going to go back through my youtube history to see exactly what was said, but I stopped after I noticed all the videos were an hour plus in length. All I know is that I watched a bunch of videos, and in some of them the comment was made that HD rumble was very weak (in feel) compared to other rumble in other controllers. I will say I watched video impressions from Gamespot, IGN, Polygon, Giant Bomb, Ghostrobo, Kinda Funny, and Easy Allies. But as you said, it could just be that its supposed to be more subtle. All I know is, I'm not all that interested in it. To people calling me a liar, get a life. Why would anyone make something like this up? It's just dumb.

Top Bottom