• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ignorant Forbes Contributor: Some Fake News about Nintendo and Hori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

And now, Nintendo has partnered with HORI for “official” Switch-branded 16 GB and 32 GB SD cards. While it may be logical that Nintendo would sell official cards (these are for the Japanese launch, but there may end up being Western equivalents) the problem is in the price.

The 32 GB card is ¥7,900, or about $70 USD. But on Amazon, the “high end” 32 GB SD card from Sandisk is ¥2,690, or about $23 USD. Past that, if you want a cheaper version with the same amount of storage (but with slower read/write speed perhaps), you can find one for as little as ¥1,180/$10.

All of this is to say that it is probably not the smart play to purchase the officially branded SD cards because of this rather severe price mark-up. Paying three times as much as necessary just to get the official Nintendo seal of approval isn’t worth it, and I’m not sure why the price point is what it is here. Keep in mind these are not proprietary memory cards like what we’ve seen with Sony handhelds. Any SD card will work in a Switch.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...s-cost-3x-more-than-normal-ones/#5d899ab05bc0

Sell me at 3 times market value if old.

Edit:

forbes-nintendo-switch.jpg

DMONKUMA

Oh this reminds of another device, what was it? Can't cross my mind...

At least there's a choice but still....

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Goddamn, they're trying to cash in on the accessories so damn hard. Thank goodness they used common parts for this and power.

lindseybp

They are insane if they think people will bite on this. Sure some will that don't know any better but I would guess most early adopters are pretty tech saavy and to them it's almost insulting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
$70 for a 32GB SD card?!

WTF

Feels even more exploitative than the Memory Stick Duo was at the time (and relative storage/$ at the time).

So the price is the problem, but you can buy cheaper alternatives so it's not a problem?
Still a problem because it's a practice that preys on people that don't know any better. Markup without premium benefits and because they can get away with it.

They are insane if they think people will bite on this. Sure some will that don't know any better but I would guess most early adopters are pretty tech saavy and to them it's almost insulting.

Well we have people in this thread comparing it to the Vita, so it doesn't seem like everyone, even on GAF, realizes that micro SD cards aren't proprietary...

Meh. The only person likely to buy a branded SD card is someone who is OCD about all accessories matching brand. I'd have to imagine those people are very very rare so I guess if Hori and Nintendo want to milk those few people good for them.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Dont buy them ? They also sold expensive SD Card during the Wii era.
Hahahah. The worst part is that some people will think you need to buy the Nintendo branded ones.
I dont know....the audience that would get a Switch and would need to expand the storage asap probably knows about stuff like this. Even if not, the system specifications show that it supports all micro-sd cards....so no excuses really.

G0523

Ehh, this isn't entirely surprising. They did a similar thing worldwide when the Wii was released. Prices will eventually go down, plus most people figure they'll just buy the cheapest microSD card possible.

Ehker

Who knows, the Vita might have been way more successful had Sony done the same. Instead Sony discouraged buying digital games because of the expensive memory.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have a 2GB sandisk in my wii

it says "sandisk for wii" on it

perhaps i got ripped off, i dont even remember buying it.

This is like the Nigerian Prince scam. Sounds ridiculous to most people but deep down you know there will be people who fall for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom