• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ignorant Forbes Contributor: Some Fake News about Nintendo and Hori

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fancolors

Meh. The only person likely to buy a branded SD card is someone who is OCD about all accessories matching brand. I'd have to imagine those people are very very rare so I guess if Hori and Nintendo want to milk those few people good for them.
I dunno how educated your average Japanese consumer is, but I can imagine there are a thousand parents who don't know the differences between a Nintendo-branded SD card and the other choices and will get the more expensive ones.

You guys keep saying who would be stupid enough to buy these. Just color them gold with a metroid picture or zelda and people would buy them.

Garou

This is literally false news!
The official price of the 32GB Hori-card is 3,758Yen.

The article is stupid clickbait by someone who simply looked at Amazon.co.jp and either doesn't understand how Amazon Marketplace works, or deliberately ignored it so he can make a clickbait-headline for fanboys who don't read articles.

Smart move because there are lots of choices for everyone else but at the same time they'll likely make a nice profit from Nintendo diehard fans who must have the Nintendo branded thing.

They partnered with SanDisk for Wii and later DSi.

Brand-New-Official-Nintendo-Wii-Memory-SD-Card.jpg

41uk9BQoEdL._SX425_.jpg

I got a card real cheap like in 2012.

R00bot

Look at the Vita thread for your answer.

That's a completely different issue because with the VITA you were forced to get their proprietary storage for incredibly inflated prices, whilst the Switch lets you use any Micro SD card and they're just making more expensive ones to hopefully sell to uninformed people who don't realise they don't have to buy them.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm pretty sure this has been the case going all the way back to the Wii. I don't know if Hori was producing them then but there was definitely a third party licensee making Wii-branded SD Cards.

Smart move because there are lots of choices for everyone else but at the same time they'll likely make a nice profit from Nintendo diehard fans who must have the Nintendo branded thing.

I ain't having that shit till they make a 200 GB one. If you're gonna milk me, at least milk me with triple digits.

So exactly the same what they did with SD cards on Wii and Wii U.
How shocking.
Nobody will buy these when they can have the same for cheaper or better ones for the same price.

synce

Ah, reminds me of the PS1 era. Get an off brand memory card or pay 3 times the price for Sony's

OmegaDL50

I hope Nintendo doesn't think people are foolish to spin this into saying their branded SD cards are guaranteed to work better than other brands just on the Switch.

Kind of reminds me of the misconception years ago some folks were convinced they needed a Monster brand HDMI cable when the same cable from Monoprice was just as good if not better but at a fraction of the price.

I ain't having that shit till they make a 200 GB one. If you're gonna milk me, at least milk me with triple digits.

Well yeah but you know there will be fans that will get this despite knowing there are other options. Gotta get that Nintendo seal of approval.

I hope Nintendo doesn't think people are foolish to spin this into saying their branded SD cards are guaranteed to work better than other brands just on the Switch.

Kind of reminds me of the misconception years ago some folks were convinced they needed a Monster brand HDMI cable when the same cable from Monoprice was just as good if not better but at a fraction of the price.

Oh they are most definitely thinking this. That's the only thought they were thinking when pulling a move like this.

ChrisD

They definitely did the same with the Wii, but I don't remember how much the mark up was.

Stupid thing of them to do regardless. At the same time, gotta' be pretty stupid or just very gullible in this day and age to pay extra for something so common and known. And if you don't know about *thing*? Google it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Also if the big retail switch games are 8-15 gigs
Buying a 32gig micro sd is not really usefull.

Seems nintendo really dont like its virtual store

Maxinas

Actually going for $39 for the 16gb and $54 for the 32gb, obviously overpriced but chances are the prices will significantly drop later when no one buys them since the Switch supports any micro sd cards.

Cerium

The article is stupid clickbait by someone who simply looked at Amazon.co.jp and either doesn't understand how Amazon Marketplace works, or deliberately ignored it so he can make a clickbait-headline for fanboys who don't read articles.

Oh.

So like the Vita. Only you have a choice.

MS sold a Xbox branded external drive from Seagate. Unfortunately uninformed people will probably buy the branded stuff because some schmuck might tell them it works better than than the non-branded stuff.

Vita Means Proprietary

Hattori

Banned

poorly researched information, yup that's a contributor for you

That's pretty embarrassing on Forbes end.
Even if it was true it's not really anything of note and with it not being true at all it's pretty hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom