• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Tops January 2017 US Sales

e-gamer

The PlayStation 4 was the best-selling console in the United States during January 2017, according to the NPD Group, which tracks sales domestically.

Sony's console was also the No. 1 console in the US during December, though the Xbox One ended the year as the best-selling console for the second half of 2016.

In its own statement, Microsoft said 2017 is off to a "strong start" for the Xbox One as the number of hours players spent playing games on the console grew 21 percent year-over-year. Additionally, Xbox One sales grew year-over-year in January, something that cannot be said for the PS4, according to Microsoft.

A week from today, the NPD Group will announce the top-selling games for January 2017. We'll report back with more details as they become available.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-tops-january-2017-us-sales/1100-6447726/

How much growth MS?

icespide

Banned
shammrsw2.gif

Hang on, that last bit of PR. I'm understanding XBox sales grew, while PS4's shrank, and they still couldn't beat them?

Not exactly something to be proud of, MicroSoft.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Did those exclusive Japanese developed PS4 games help?

Toki767

They could have sold 1 console more in January of this year compared to last year for all we know.

Their PR statements feel so desperate.

Phamit

Xbox One sales grew year-over-year in January, something that cannot be said for the PS4, according to Microsoft.

I would want a direct quote for this, can't imagine they said anything other than xbox was the the only console with YoY growth

Boke1879

They could have sold 1 console more in January of this year compared to last year for all we know.

Yea they mention time playing on the system grew YOY with an actual percentage, but don't give us one for their actual console growth. I wonder if it's not something to boast about.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member

I think desperate is any company stating 'shipped in' numbers instead of 'sold through' numbers.

Toki767

I would want a direct quote for this, can't imagine they said anything other than xbox was the the only console with YoY growth

You must not have seen their PR statement last month.

Their new PR method seems to try to continuously compare their sales with PS4 sales in a way that makes them seem like they're winning, but at the end of the day, the PS4 is still selling more units.

blakep267

Hang on, that last bit of PR. I'm understanding XBox sales grew, while PS4's shrank, and they still couldn't beat them?

Not exactly something to be proud of, MicroSoft.
Are you sure? Their console has been showing growth the last 8 months compared to the previous year. That's something to be proud of. The one S has been selling well. Throwing in jabs at Sony are whatever.

cakely

Congratulations, Sony. I expect the PS4 to outsell the Xbox One in NPD until the launch of the Scorpio.

In its own statement, Microsoft said 2017 is off to a "strong start" for the Xbox One as the number of hours players spent playing games on the console grew 21 percent year-over-year. Additionally, Xbox One sales grew year-over-year in January, something that cannot be said for the PS4, according to Microsoft.

The salt is real in Redmond.

Wedzi

Banned

It sounds like conjecture from Gamespot. Would be hilarious if we were going down that road though. Maybe MS can higher Sean Spicer after he gets fired

Piggus

the number of hours players spent playing games on the console grew 21 percent year-over-year.

Wow, MS. THANK YOU for this incredible insight! Who would have predicted that the number of hours spent gaming on the system would increase as more consoles are sold? :0 :0 :0

Toki767

Wow, MS. THANK YOU for this incredible insight! Who would have predicted that the number of hours spent gaming on the system would increase as more consoles are sold? :0 :0 :0

At least that means people are continuing to use their consoles.

Top Bottom