• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Tops January 2017 US Sales

allan-bh

Not even close.
PS2-SLIM-2.jpg

What's the new features of this model?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
MS PR continues to be fucking hilarious lol

Surprisingly bitter for a piece of MS PR. You'd think they'd be used to losing by now, but it seems like the status quo is actually getting harder for them to handle as time goes on.

MS PR has always been desperate. Difference is that normally they hide it well through their MAU or whatever other statistic they can find. Here, its just so lazy and half-asses that it just reeks of Loser Talk.

Word from Satya Nadella must have come down: Start being profitable or else. Would explain a lot of their recent decisions.

Lol at MS's salty ass comment.

MS's PR...lol. Like Sony even considers them a threat anymore.

Congrats to both.

Gamespot shouldn't have added to that quote.

Only MS would lose and still manage to trash talk lol.

MS still with the PS4 shade in their pr lol

How is it possible this many (and more) people think Microsoft actually mentioned the PS4 in their PR?

That's just...whoa.

Boke1879

That's what I was thinking too. Apart from sounding unbearably petty, it doesn't seem like something to boast about.

For them it's good to have YOY growth. People probably see the One S as an attractive product.

But yea it's still not enough to overtake the PS4.

On another note I'd assume Feb will be good for the PS4 as well. Horizon coming out at the end of the month and starting Sunday offering the Slim PS4 for $250 for two weeks should spur sales.

I definitely expect it by E3. Though I also expect Microsoft to do the same.

I don't think we will ever see the Slim go back to $299 except for maybe a month.

I think this "Temporary" price cut for the Slim we are seeing in February is basically the exact same strategy MS took last year with the Xbox One price cut.

But we'll see.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
it was worded to be clickbait and people don't think critically about what they read

I'm aware of how it was worded. My first post intimated as much.

But man, seeing such a huuuuge number of posters actually think they mentioned the PS4 in their PR is staggering.

Piggus

So, not the best Slim model for sure. But it's super slim, what is nice.

The One S isn't even that Slim though... The thing was fucking massive and they got it down to what it should have been in the first place. The PS2 Slim was actually a massive reduction in size AND it added functionality that previously required an add-on.

”Thanks to continued support by our fans, 2017 is off to a strong start as Xbox One game hours grew 21 percent year-over-year," Mike Nichols, corporate vice president of Xbox Marketing, noted in a statement sent to GamesBeat. ”In addition, in the U.S., Xbox One had its best January to date and was the only eighth generation console that saw growth in January compared to the prior year according to NPD Group. Team Xbox is committed to delivering the best gaming experiences for our fans."

http://venturebeat.com/2017/02/09/x...he-u-s-but-playstation-4-still-won-the-month/

This is the exact quote.

Quoted so people can stop repeating this nonsense of Microsoft mentioning PS4 in their PR Statement.

timberger

I'm aware of how it was worded. My first post intimated as much.

But man, seeing such a huuuuge number of posters actually think they mentioned the PS4 in their PR is staggering.

Can only go by what the source in the OP says. If you've got a better source stating something else feel free to post it.

allan-bh

You can't add anything to PERFECTION.

PS2 library
PS1 BC
DVD Player
CD Player
Ethernet port
Extremely slim design (best ever)

What more you ask for in 2003?

I asked NEW features, not what OG PS2 does too.

I liked PS2 Slim, but I don't consider a better Slim than Xbox One S.

allan-bh

Your argument...

"Continues to deliver growth (in US). Therefore best model of all time."

As far as features are concerned, the size reduction alone makes PS2 slim engineering marvel.

Yeah, but Xbox One S has more new features, so I consider a better new model, that's all.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Gamespot has been on fire with the clickbait articles that invite our dear console fanboys.

First the "MS dev calls PS4 Pro half-assed" and now this beauty here.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Can only go by what the source in the OP says. If you've got a better source stating something else feel free to post it.

Well, my brain is a start.

These companies NEVER directly mention their direct competition in sales PR, let alone in a month where they've "lost".

It was pretty clear Gamespot intentionally worded it in a troll bait fashion.

But you know, you could have also read the PR yourself? But then where would the console War fuel come from if people read the PR?

joecanada

Wow, MS. THANK YOU for this incredible insight! Who would have predicted that the number of hours spent gaming on the system would increase as more consoles are sold? :0 :0 :0

Lol I barely even pay attention to their PR but good point. If this wasn't the case itd be a huge disaster... Imagine if less people were playing as you sold more and more ? Yuck

kennyamr

And the PS4 continues killing it.

January and February have been crazy for the PS4 in terms of games released so they clearly deserve it.

allan-bh

why do you consider the XBOS the best slim of all time?

Because Xbox One is very big, so the small size of the S has a great appeal, because they added UHD Blu-Ray Player, because does upscale to 4K, adds HDR support and finally improves the frame rate of some games.

It's a great slim model, if wasn't for Scorpio I would replace my unit for sure.

joecanada

Quoted so people can stop repeating this nonsense of Microsoft mentioning PS4 in their PR Statement.

..."was the only eightth gen console that saw growth " is not straight from ms ? Because this is mentioning the competition directly whether it says ps4 or not. Who else would they be referencing, Sega ?

Toki767

Interesting so that means 1 game in the Top 5 wasn't on the platform at all.

What exclusive game could have charted Top 5?

Are you sure that's what they meant and not 4 out of the Top 5 individual SKUs?

I guess Pokemon Sun/Moon would be the most likely choice though?

Top Bottom