• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hug Button: A Comprehensive Guide

Video games is by far the medium with the greatest potential due to one reason: the hug button. Will a movie let you make the protagonist and villain hug on demand? No! Will a CD let you hug its composer? Unless they happen to be standing right next to you, not a chance! Games are the only medium that can allow you to hug on command.

Sadly, very few games live up to the full potential of the medium, but let's celebrate the ones that do.

E27Nno8.png

A hug button is a dedicated button/key that will cause the main player to hug someone or something. Some exceptions can be made. Eg. Dropsy doesn't have a physical button but a hug icon, which clearly fits the spirit of the hug button. Buttons that contextually transform into hug buttons, but do have other uses, are also fine, as long as it's relevant throughout the game and not a one-time thing. Cutscenes involving hugging don't count. Hugs need to be initiated by the player!

kGA1L4v.png

In alphabetical order.

A Boy and His Blob Wii / Windows / Mac / Linux / PS3 / PS4 / PS Vita / Xbox One
neXuga6.png

Probably the most famous example of the hug button, A Boy and His Blob is a game about pressing down on your controller in order to hug your blob. It also has puzzles or something.
How to hug: Press down near your blob.

A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build Windows / Mac / Linux / Android / iOS
XwZWKf5.png

A puzzle game from the makers of Sokobond about building snowmen (and snowwomen) which you can then hug.
How to hug: Tap on a completed snowman
Thanks to bonesquad.

Among the Sleep Windows / PS4 / Xbox One
EbrMtmj.png

Hugging your teddy bear emits light, which can help you navigate.
How to hug: Press [F] to hug teddy. (Button can be configured.)
Thanks to trikster40.

Big Huggin' Installation
lEaMuEW.png

A standard platformer in which you guide your bear through the levels. Also, the game is controlled entirely by hugging a custom teddy bear controller.
How to hug: Hug the controller, IRL.

Chris Gethard's Hug-Out Browser
HRJAJxe.png

Chris Gethard is here to make things better. Don't worry, things will be alright.
How to hug: Select an avatar, type your worries and press Enter.

Dropsy Windows / Mac / Linux
8pDW8HU.png

A point-and-click hugventure. Dropsy is a game all about hugging people.
How to hug: Click on the hug icon, then on the person or object you wish to hug.
Disclaimer: Whereas most of the hugs in this game are great, it also contains a non-consensual one.

Final Fantasy XV PS4 / Xbox One
kqECVy7.png

Chocobos can be hugged during the Moogle Chocobo Carnival.
How to hug: Press
aPuMkVE.png
Thanks to Fersis.

God of War PS2 / PS3 / PS Vita
FpaE4tp.png

You hug your family during the final boss battle.
How to hug: Press and hold
AmNBzNa.png
Thanks to GamingPheasant.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life Gamecube / PS2
gDimguE.png

Not to be confused with the Christmas film, this is a farm simulator. That means plenty of cute animals to interact with!
WVYFuHw.png
when it shows a heart.
Thanks to Hilbert.

Hug Arena Browser
MdNk7sx.png

The goal of the game is to befriend all of the monsters through hugging.
How to hug: Hold Z or C near a monster.
Thanks to gingerbeardman.

Hugpunx Browser
8XwecPe.png

The goal of the game is to hug as many (consenting!) persons and cats as possible.
How to hug: Press Z.

Rambo: Last Blood Browser
MKKfdiJ.png

Help Rambo get into Valhalla by making amends with the ghosts of the people he's killed. How? Through hugging, of course.
How to hug: Press Space near a ghost.

Rule of Rose PS2
tpq0R8f.png

Made by Punchline, the same studio behind Chulip, a game all about kissing. It should come as no surprise they followed it up with a game all about petting and hugging. Oh, and monsters and bullying.
AmNBzNa.png
when lined up with Brown. Can be very finicky to get right.

The Last Guardian PS4
ju22ri4.png

Ico had holding hands. Shadow of the Colossus had petting a horse. In The Last Guardian they finally did hugging. Fumito Ueda's magnum opus? I don't see where he could possibly go from here.
AmNBzNa.png
near Trico.
Thanks to Roubjon and Bronetta.

The Sims (franchise) Windows / Mac / Maybe the console entries have it too, I don't know
cJZuMIh.png

Screenshot from The Sims 3.
In order to hug someone, you need a certain relationship level. In addition to the hug built into the game there are also additional hug "pose packs" online. I wholly approve of this kind of modding, though I can't vouch for any of these packs. Use caution when downloading files from the Internet.
How to hug: Select hug from the pop-up menu.
Thanks to Wildean.

Undertale Windows / Mac / Linux
4Mdvvl3.png

Some monsters in Undertale can be hugged. Be wary, though, some can also be 'unhugged'. And we don't want that.
How to hug: Select Act->Hug in battle when possible.
Thanks to Earthpainting.

Vegetable Game Browser
frCRUt9.png

The goal of the game is to hug increasingly bad people.
How to hug: Press Z.
Thanks to UncleSporky.

TFgwwFm.png

Some games get close to fullfilling the potential of the medium but don't reach all the way. Don't take this as a critique on these games. The fact they have something resembling a hug button means they're already better than 99% of all games. Objections? Feel free to debate whether these games should or should not be included in the full list.

Assassin's Creed II Windows / Mac / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
You're not gonna leave your bro Leonardo hanging, are you? Are you?! :(
How to hug: Succeed at the QTE.
Reason for exclusion: One time event.
Thanks to daffy.

Huggy Bear Browser
The only way to get oxygen is through hugs, but hugs also lead to broken bones.
How to hug: Press Space.
Reason for exclusion: See Hugs. Don't hug people without their consent.
Thanks to Icelandic_Jazz.

Hug Marine Browser
A standard 2D platformer with an alien to hug acting as the goal point of each level.
How to hug: Touch the alien at the end of the level.
Reason for exclusion: No dedicated hug button or even contextual button to press. Aliens simply serve as the goal of the level and then a "hug cutscene" plays.

hugventure Browser
hugventure is a text-based hugventure where all you want is a hug.
How to hug: Type 'hug <object to hug>'
Reason for exclusion:
Whereas there is a hug command there is only one instance of it actually working (and when you do the game is over), thus violating the 'not a one-time thing' rule.

Hugs Windows / Mac / Linux
A game about killing all the humans through hugs.
How to hug: Sneak up on an unsuspecting human (or run up to them) and press K.
Reason for exclusion: Consent is key! Please do not hug people against their will! (Especially not if it kills them.)

Kirby Super Star SNES
Players can share health pickups through hugs(?) in co-op mode.
How to hug: After picking up a health pickup, touch the other player.
Reason for exclusion: Some reports say this is actually a kiss. Our hug scientists don't know what to think. More data is necessary.
Thanks to halfbeast.

The Walking Dead: Season Two Windows / Mac / PS3 / PS4 / PS Vita / Xbox 360 / Xbox One / iOS / Android / Ouya
Sadly, you can't hug any of the zombies, but you can hug a survivor.
How to hug: Select
[Hug Kenny]
Reason for exclusion: One time event.
Thanks to Nia.

dRURRbZ.png

This guide is preliminary and further research is required. Here are some areas of interest that may be worth further investigation:
Haunting Ground: Another PS2 era horror game with a dog in it. I hear there's a way to compliment it (and pet it?) but can you hug it?
Chulip: It has kissing, but does it have hugging?!
Other games: What other games have I missed? For bonus hugs, provide photographic evidence (screenshot of the hug) and instructions on how to replicate the hug.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You can hug chocobos in FFXV during the Moogle Chocobo festival.

Based on the criteria,
Kratos hugging his family at the end of the first game in a boss fight
does not count.

The only example of a hug button in a game that comes up immediately to me.

ghibli99

I imagine I'm hugging my farm animals in Stardew Valley every morning (with the heart emotes). Especially those cows. They're so adorable! Thanks for the large milks. ^__^

Erekiddo

Seeing Rule of Rose reminds me that the game got stupidly expensive. $250 for even open copies.

I also need to finish A Boy and His Blob.

I like to /hug alot in World of Warcraft. It even tracks the amount of hugs I give <3
I wonder if more MMOs also have hug emotes. A Reddit thread said Final Fantasy XIV does. Maybe I should add a separate section for emotes (if there are more)? Then there are all the generic emotes where you can emote anything. '/em hugs x'

I can't believe Team Fortress 2 doesn't have a hug taunt.

The Last Guardian:
This certainly looks like a hug to me. How do you perform it?

You can hug chocobos in FFXV during the Moogle Chocobo festival.
Added, thanks.

Based on the criteria,
Kratos hugging his family at the end of the first game in a boss fight
does not count.

The only example of a hug button in a game that comes up immediately to me.
I think I should clarify. Hugging only being available in a certain section/area of the game is fine, imo, as long as you have the freedom to initiate it more than once (which appears to be the case for God of War). What I aim to disqualify is more when it's something that's simply done in one place to advance the cutscene or something. (I don't actually have any examples of that so maybe it's an unnecessary rule.) I haven't played God of War but based on a video of it I think it qualifies?

Does Portal 2 fit into this? It's MP has a hug emote, coincidentally the best one. I'll try to edit in a screenshot later today if I can remember.

Nia

I haven't actually played a game with a hug button, but I do know of one from The Walking Dead. It's one time only, so it might not count, but the player can chose to initiate it.

[Hug Kenny]

Press A, or click the option with the mouse depending on which version you're playing.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
This is my kind of thread. Well done OP.

I think I should clarify. Hugging only being available in a certain section/area of the game is fine, imo, as long as you have the freedom to initiate it more than once (which appears to be the case for God of War). What I aim to disqualify is more when it's something that's simply done in one place to advance the cutscene or something. (I don't actually have any examples of that so maybe it's an unnecessary rule.) I haven't played God of War but based on a video of it I think it qualifies?
If that's the case, then God War definitely counts.
Your usual "grab enemy" command (circle button) turns into a hug command during the boss fight, which transfers life to your family. It's a pretty cool late game subversion of Kratos' violent nature.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
That snowman game looks amazing, thanks for posting about this... Love Sokoban and the char design looks cute.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
One of the harvest moon games on PS2 has a love button for animal interaction. Usually means doing a hug.

Don't remember which one, sorry.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The Last Guardian.

Trico was basically a hug magnet. I pet/hugged him after every puzzle or anytime I met back up with Trico.

To have Trico pet you back like in that gif is great. Im obvioisly attached to Trico but when he showed affection back to the boy were magical moments.

I added God of War, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life and Vegetable Game to the list and The Walking Dead: Season Two and Kirby Super Star to the honorable mentions.

I still need instructions for The Last Guardian before I can add it to OP.

If you left him hanging then you're a monster.
Please mention the name of the game. I can see it's an Assassin's Creed game, but there's a few of those and I don't know the character in question.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I still need instructions for The Last Guardian before I can add it to OP.

You hold Circle anytime near Trico to have the boy pet him. This can be done anywhere, standing next to him, while holding onto him, while perched on Trico's head and so forth.

Sometimes Trico nuzzles the boy back when you pet him, as seen in that gif.

butalala

I always imagined that the Kirby characters were sharing food with each other ala ants in Sim Ant (and real life). It only happens after one character grabs up a food/health pick up.

EDIT:

In Twilight Princess you can pick up dogs and cats and Link basically hugs them, I think it bears inclusion.
6792232.png

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Could you hug your dog in Haunting Ground?

Edit: oh sorry, I missed this exact question in the OP.

Bowlie

Banned
I want to hug this thread.

I don't know if I would count it myself, but Final Fantasy XIV has the emote
given as a quest reward, that does this:

tumblr_ngmrlysRgl1qzri2so1_400.gif

I say that I wouldn't count it because each player has to type the command at the same time so the animations match each other; if only one player types the command, the other will be immobile receiving a hug.

FFXIV also has a
emote, but that one is just a pat on the back.

bonesquad

A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build Windows / Mac / Linux
XwZWKf5.png

A puzzle game from the makers of Sokoban about building snowmen (and snowwomen) which you can then hug.
How to hug: ???? The material for the game makes it clear you can hug completed snowmen but I haven't played it so I don't know the specific controls. GAF detectives please report!
The game is also on mobile, which is where I played, and hugging is as simple as tapping on a completed snowman. I'd assume on PC that would be done by clicking.

That snowman game looks amazing, thanks for posting about this... Love Sokoban and the char design looks cute.
The game is a cool combination of sokoban and hanoi tower. I quite enjoyed the game on iOS and do recommend the game to puzzle game fans.

maxcriden

Amazing idea for a thread, thank you for making it and for all the work you put into it!

Just a question, though, what do you mean about the nonconsenual hug in Dropsy? What happens there? :/

I really need to get A Boy and His Blob, it looks so cute

It's really great! You should definitely pick it up. We still need to beat that one but very much enjoyed what we played of it.

Amazing idea for a thread, thank you for making it and for all the work you put into it!

Just a question, though, what do you mean about the nonconsenual hug in Dropsy? What happens there? :/
As part of the main questline you hug
a man in a chicken suit despite his clear objections, causing him to quit his job because he doesn't want to deal with it. It's necessary to get his chicken mask.
< Puzzle solution.

Belker

Might be borderline, but in Watch Dogs 2 you get a prompt to pet dogs if you walk close enough to them. There's a little animation, close up, showing you kneeling down and saying 'Who's a good boy?' or something like that.

I like doing it.

Might be borderline, but in Watch Dogs 2 you get a prompt to pet dogs if you walk close enough to them. There's a little animation, close up, showing you kneeling down and saying 'Who's a good boy?' or something like that.

I like doing it.

This probably deserves a separate thread devoted to games where you can pet dogs! I'll add Valiant Hearts to the list.

Top Bottom