• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hug Button: A Comprehensive Guide

KSS probably invented the Kiss Button.

hIC6w1E.jpg

And this game perfected it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kirby Super Star has a hug command in co-op. to heal each other or something. don't remember what button you push.

I'm pretty sure given that healing in kirby is accomplished through food and drink, what this button actuallly is is both players opening their mouths and having an open mouth kiss and one vomiting chewed up food into the other

Terrell

Games need more hugs, even if there isn't a button for it. It seems like in a lot of modern games, the only reason characters ever touch is to kill, kiss or bang.

God of War PS2 / PS3 / PS Vita
FpaE4tp.png

You hug your family during the final boss battle.
How to hug: Press and hold
AmNBzNa.png
Thanks to GamingPheasant.

In a nice counterpoint, in Chains of Olympus, Kratos visits Elysium, where he shoves away his daughter as she desperately clings to his leg in a QTE.

Wildean

The Sims. Sims can hug each other. They have to be fond of each other before the interaction becomes available.

Ossom

I'm not sure how the action looks in the Kirby Snes game, but Kirby appears to hug or possibly kiss a co-op player to share health in the Wii game.

See the following video at 19:12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbgcRchPtys

There is also this article: http://www.mtv.com/news/2463347/kirby-wii-has-an-important-feature-hugging/

It's not clear whether the writer assumed they were hugging or whether they had been told that the act was hugging.

Whilst, there isn't a specific button to hug, the action is to go to your teammate and then the act takes place. I suggest that there is a specific command for this action.

I do own the Wii game and have just had a look in the manual (remember those?). It states: "If you touch another player's character immediately after eating a food item, that player will also recover some health."

Watching the game the characters do seem to embrace, but I am undecided.

Skux

The GoW hug was actually quite well implemented into gameplay. That level was hard as nails and you had to balance hugging and fighting to get through.

Don't have any games to add but I wanted to say this is one of the best OP's ever!

And the username chainsawkitten sets it off purrrfectly.

BouncyFrag

Trico gifs compel me to hug the puppy. He's all growns'd up now but he'll always be this puppy to me:
puppy.jpg

I really should pick up the Last Guradian.

SJRB

Gold Member
5DEKNYj.jpg

Army of Two has a wide varity of fistbumps, handshakes, bro grabs and other stuff.

Way, way more games need a dedicated fistbump button.

This is a great thread that I didn't realise I wanted.

Sure, OK, whatever.

Personally I prefer God of War's Press O to Orgy.

Whoaoaaaoooaaah, so radical.
You should make a thread about gaming orgy encounters. There has to be enough to make a decent list, right?

Hyoukokun

You can embrace your spouse in Stardew Valley, after having exhausted their daily dialog. You can do it as many time as you want, for as long as you want, though it only has gameplay impact the first time (you get a little boost to affection levels).

Bonus fun fact: while embracing, time stands still. Literally. The in-game clock stops.

PBalfredo

The Rule of Rose entry reminds me, we need a similar topic/list of games that have dedicated pet buttons.

All games that have dogs companions must have pet buttons, I say!

I need a good screenshot to add Stardew Valley to the list. My Google-fu fails me and I don't own the game myself.

Searching for The Sims hugs I came across several community-made "pose packs" of hugs. Also found hugging mods for Oblivion, Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (though that one's more of a tap on the back than a full hug). I'm happy to see the community fill in where the game developers have made an oversight.

I need more info on hugging in Undertale. Google only brings up a lot of fan-art. I do intend to play it but I need to clear out some of my backlog first.

Gigarator

Please mention the name of the game. I can see it's an Assassin's Creed game, but there's a few of those and I don't know the character in question.

Assassin's creed 2, it's a cutscene with Ezio and Leonardo da Vinci. During the scene Leonardo tries to give Ezio a hug but unless you press a QTE prompt quickly you'll leave him hanging and he'll be visibly upset. It's a great, unexpected moment.

I finally got around to clearing out some of my backlog and playing Undertale. Do tell if you want me to change the screenshot. I didn't consider it a spoiler since you can't see who it is or why it would be significant (unless you've already played the game) but tell me if you disagree. I chose it because it's one that actually has a visual representation rather than just text.

I finally got around to clearing out some of my backlog and playing Undertale. Do tell if you want me to change the screenshot. I didn't consider it a spoiler since you can't see who it is or why it would be significant (unless you've already played the game) but tell me if you disagree. I chose it because it's one that actually has a visual representation rather than just text.
Hope you liked the game. As for the image, like you say, the screenshot is both partially obscured and contextless. I think it should be fine. You can of course replace it with one of the Toriel hugs if you're concerned though.

Top Bottom