• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo appears to have really dropped the ball on the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spy

OS
Aside from being as barebones as it gets; Miiverse, StreetPass, the Internet Browser and Activity Log are now gone. There's no built-in achievement system or party chat which have become industry standards. No apps of any kind such as Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify.

Accessories
You can debate worth and MSRP but there's no denying the fact the Pro Controller and a Joy-Con set are expensive. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One controllers can be had for under $45 on Amazon. Nintendo didn't even bother to include a charging grip with the system and instead expects us pay an additional $30 for one. Also, no mic is included which I suppose showed us early on that online functionality wasn't meant to be taken seriously yet again. I won't make a huge deal about this yet as we're not sure how widespread it is but let's hope those Joy-Con connectivity issues are sorted out before launch.

Games
Everything seems to fit into the category of either being overpriced, compromised in the form of graphical fidelity and performance in comparison to its competitors, or just being ports of mostly indie games we've already played to death. The few titles that don't fall into this category such as Sonic Mania and Puyo Puyo Tetris are handicapped by something such as the the lack of a d-pad. Where's the AAA 3rd party support? The Virtual Console could have helped immensely but it was announced today that the service won't be available at launch.

Connectivity
It's hard to believe it's 2017 and we have to use a smartphone app to play and communicate with friends. This morning we found out that the Switch doesn't support Bluetooth audio devices.

Storage
Internal storage is limited to 32GB with 25GB available to you. Sooner rather than later you're going to have to purchase a MicroSDXC card for titles that are digital only.

The online service now costs money with no real value proposition.

Gimmick
People keep touting that the Switch comes with two controllers out of the box, what they never seem to mention is at what expense. Previews have said it's not very comfortable to hold the Joy-Con sideways due to its small size and you're missing a d-pad and second analogue stick which makes it impractical to play most games (e.g. Street Fighter, NBA 2K, Splatoon, etc.) outside of a few niche titles and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Sacrificing the d-pad was not worth it but hey, Nintendo can always sell us more accessories.

Dystify

I read your topic and see why you think they "dropped the ball". They're all true and matter to some more than others, but you're kind of forgetting all the things Nintendo gets right with Switch... And that list doesn't seem to be a short one either, imo.

LordKano

Not really. It launches with their most ambitious game, and most of their first-party output this year seems to be great. The hardware is sleek too.

Oh come now, it's not even in our hands yet.

And it sounds like they may have dropped your personal ball. It gets so many things right for me. For example, the simplified OS is something I love.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Counter point to the OP that you may not have remembered : You want to play nintendo games don't you?

All of that stuff, while concerning is absolutely trivial compared to the real reason we play Nintendo consoles, the excellent games

Of course i'm not buying one until next year, but i will buy one, and that's the reason.

Some of you need to take a step away from GAF. You're losing your mind
giphy.gif

mlclmtckr

Banned
Why start a new thread with these talking points instead of dumping them in every Switch thread like the other skeptics?

I'll wait and see how it sells.

I'm super casual and just use systems for games. If I could I would use a option for my system to just play the game and not go into a UI. I wonder how the overall market will response

Dystify

A shiny turd is still a turd.

Is it a turd though? I mean, do I have to list all the amazing things about Switch? The mobile gaming factor, the decent graphics, the good UI, the Joy-Con? List goes on.

Some of the things in the OP can be seen as negative, I don't agree with all of them though. It just feels like OP is overreacting about a lot of things that will be fixed in due time.

The Joy Cons aren't that expensive when you consider that they compete with the PS Move and Dualshock 4 / Xbox One Controller. Also the battery grip isn't all necessary, the controllers last 20 hours on their own. My Dualshock 4 doesn't last that long.

The launch period (now through the summer) is awesome, and that tempers fears about the launch day lineup IMO.

Trace

Banned
It's pretty blatantly rushed. Will pick it up in a year after a bit of a price drop and once the software is updated.

Counter point to the OP that you may not have remembered : You want to play nintendo games don't you?

All of that stuff, while concerning is absolutely trivial compared to the real reason we play Nintendo consoles, the excellent games

Why not just go third-party then? I'm being facetious, but why do they keep making consoles and handhelds if they struggle with it so much? They may have the best first-party lineup, but the Wii U wasn't the best library of games last gen, and I suspect Switch will be the same situation.

Cuburt

Negative hot takes like this are allowed just for the sake of providing a place to bitch about common anti-Switch talking points?

We barely have impressions (even not final hardware reviews with final updates) and people are so eager to call the system a failure.

At least with other criticism threads, they'd function with dealing with a specific subject, even if it created a place for people to pile on with the negativity. This is just a catch-all for negativity.

see5harp

Sad that all of the stuff that was expected to be barebones, is in fact, barebones. I don't care really about they charging for accessories because companies have always used that stuff as profit machines but man the lack of social stuff really kills this as a home console for online multiplayer.

LordKano

Why not just go third-party then? I'm being facetious, but why do they keep making consoles and handhelds if they struggle with it so much? They may have the best first-party lineup, but the Wii U wasn't the best library of games last gen, and I suspect Switch will be the same situation.

'cause to make these games and justify making them, they need to be a first party.

brawly

All valid points, but at the end of the day people want to play Nintendo games and they'll buy whatever
most
systems Nintendo puts out.

It is hilarious to watch people play these things down though.

Most of your complaints are valid, but was this really thread worthy? There are a multitude of places to vent concerns about the Switch, was another that essential?

I feel like the Switch is a good value for what it is. It's a device that will play Nintendo's games for the next few years, as well as a variety of indie and odd third party titles. The deficiencies it has at launch seem minor, and aren't really going to get in the way of that prime appeal for me.

Magwik

Banned
Aside from being as barebones as it gets; Miiverse, StreetPass, the Internet Browser and Activity Log are now gone. There's no built-in achievement system or party chat which have become industry standards. No apps of any kind such as Netflix, YouTube, and Spotify.
We know party chat is regulated to smart phones. With no big multiplayer games until April, it at least makes sense to prioritize other elements. Remember how barebones the PS4 and XB1 OS was at launch?
You can debate worth and MSRP but there's no denying the fact the Pro Controller and a Joy-Con set are expensive. PlayStation4 and Xbox One controllers can be had for under $45 on Amazon. Nintendo didn't even bother to include a charging grip with the system and instead expects us pay an additional $30 for one. Also, no mic is included which I suppose showed us early on that online functionality wasn't meant to be taken seriously yet again. I won't make a huge deal about this yet as we're not sure how widespread it is but let's hope those Joy-Con connectivity issues are sorted out.
It's almost as if XB1 and PS4 controllers have been on the market for 2.5 years. I agree that the Joy-Cons are $15 too expensive for the bundle, and the Pro Controller should be cheaper as well, but we won't know if HD rumble is worth it until later or ends up like the DS4 touchpad.
It's hard to believe it's 2017 and we have to use a smartphone app to play and communicate with friends. This morning we found out that the Switch doesn't support Bluetooth audio devices.
I agree.
Internal storage is limited to 32GB with 25GB available to you. Sooner rather than later you're going to have to purchase a MicroSDXC card for titles that are digital only.
I vastly prefer this over the Apple model of charging an extra $100 for more storage and no SD cards. You would have to buy one eventually anyways.
The online service now costs money with no real value proposition.
Yeah it's shit. Hopefully they backpedal on it.
People keep touting that the Switch comes with two controllers out of the box, what they never seem to mention is at what expense. Previews have said it's not very comfortable to hold the Joy-Con sideways due to its small size and you're missing a d-pad and second analogue stick which makes it impractical to play most games (e.g. Street Fighter, NBA 2K, Splatoon, etc.) outside of a few niche titles and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Sacrificing the d-pad was not worth it but hey, Nintendo can always sell us more accessories.
Can you say this without actually ever using them?

Salz01

First Nintendo system I have no desire to get. Sort of regret getting WiiU, but Donkey Kong and Mario Kart are awesome.

The stake in the heart is the 3hr battery life when it's not in the hub. That's nothing for hard core gaming.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I personally don't see an issue with anything in the OP. I'm excited for 1-2 Switch and Zelda at launch and a lot of other games are on the way. Don't care about apps. Don't care about a browser. I use discord for game chat with everything now so that's not an issue. Don't agree with the gimmick statement either. Different strokes tho. I can't fucking wait to get my hands on this thing

Dr Thor

Neo Member
"Yep this video games console sure dropped the ball:"

*list of things that have nothing to do with games*

Whatever. If the games are good, I'll buy it, because that's what Nintendo consoles are good for. If you wanted a multifunctional versatile device for all your techy needs you're looking in the wrong place to begin with

Lol

If it's one thing that GAF needs, it's another Switch thread. Hold on, making one that pinpoints my personal opinion of what I think is good and bad about the Switch.

Madao

wait, no activity log?

how can they not even get this right. i can understand they being bad with online but they can't even have an app that was on 3DS and Wii U at launch and that doesn't require internet?

FFS.

Dylan

Speaking of which, does anyone know what happens if you drop the Switch itself?

All the DS's seemed to be built to withstand a nuclear blast. I wonder if the Switch will be as durable?

Disagree.
Sure, it's a rushed incomplete launch but the positive buzz is strong, the marketing greatly improved and most importantly for me, they nailed the hardware.
It's surely an inconvenience but all of that other stuff can be rectified.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Sure, i think they should go third party myself. I don't care to buy into their BS with their nonsense expensive as fuck peripheral devices up the asshole and esoteric outside focuses.

But until that happens, if that happens, people like OP and myself should suck it up and buy their consoles without complaining too much. Its not like we can beg for Nintendo to port games to other platforms. That would be ridiculous and devoid of any sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom