• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo appears to have really dropped the ball on the Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
As someone who has a switch preordered, the OP is right. I don't see many disagreeing with actual points and instead just making drive by posts.
I recognize the console has its fair share of problems, it might even be a terrible console (looking likely), but it has Zelda and that's worth a few hundred to me.

I think the Switch is a great idea, but Nintendo's obvious plans - Putting the failed Wii U behind them by shipping a bare bones console with ancient system features (or none at all) and packing in one of their most important franchises to try and hold people over - might bite them in the ass until this Fall.

I had to argue with my GF about holding off on purchasing this next week, but the Zelda hype has her sold and its a battle I can't win!

Wont say they dropped the ball yet, but this launch could have been delayed a few months and been released with an even better overall experience. What's sad is Nintendo isn't smart enough to realize this if they really wanted to cater to people who passed on the Wii U.

Intel_89

I'll pick one up once they iron out some of the problems the OP listed, it seems ludicrous to charge 330€ at launch to play Zelda on the go.

Nere

Agreed with the OP especially on the VC part. I can't understand what is Nintendo doing and they miss out such a huge opportunity, imagine playing Metroid Prime and Resident evil 4 on the go with gamecube emulation. Why aren't they taking advantage of the gold they are sitting on why?

I think the Switch is a great idea, but Nintendo's obvious plans - Putting the failed Wii U behind them by shipping a bare bones console with ancient system features (or none at all) and packing in one of their most important franchises to try and hold people over - might bite them in the ass until this Fall.

I had to argue with my GF about holding off on purchasing this next week, but the Zelda hype has her sold and its a battle I can't win!

Wont say they dropped the ball yet, but this launch could have been delayed a few months and been released with an even better overall experience. What's sad is Nintendo isn't smart enough to realize this if they really wanted to cater to people who passed on the Wii U.

The problem is that they can't do that because investors would be on their ass.

Spinluck

Public opinion really seems to have turned around since the initial reveal video.

Nintendo is to blame for that.

They did a great job with that initial trailer, everything since then was rushed.

But I have no doubt in my mind that the Switch will end up being a pretty good console.

They just have quite a lot to work on this first year.

Crayolan

A lot of what you're saying is true, but this:
Accessories
You can debate worth and MSRP but there's no denying the fact the Pro Controller and a Joy-Con set are expensive. PlayStation 4 and Xbox One controllers can be had for under $45 on Amazon. Nintendo didn't even bother to include a charging grip with the system and instead expects us pay an additional $30 for one.

is a ridiculous comparison. MSRP for XB1/PS4 controllers is still $60 right? So of course second-hand/on-sale controllers are cheaper than one at launch price. Within a year you will be able to find Switch Pro Controllers at a discount as well.

Counter point to the OP that you may not have remembered : You want to play nintendo games don't you?

All of that stuff, while concerning is absolutely trivial compared to the real reason we play Nintendo consoles, the excellent games

Of course i'm not buying one until next year, but i will buy one, and that's the reason.

Pretty much

Kyzer

Banned
Well most of those issues will be resolved thankfully. Kind of concerned by the true unknowns but Pokemon in HD is enough for me to have no choice but want one immediately.

I think it has potential too

Alrus

Games that ship needing 'patches to be complete' get ridiculed on GAF.

Systems that apparently now do the same should get similar treatment.

I never really understood the issue with day one patch. The game went to press earlier and they continued to work on it afterwards. I'd rather wait a few hours for a patch to be downloaded than a couple of weeks in order to play a game.

Agreed with the OP especially on the VC part. I can't understand what is Nintendo doing and they miss out such a huge opportunity, imagine playing Metroid Prime and Resident evil 4 on the go with gamecube emulation. Why aren't they taking advantage of the gold they are sitting on why?

They think the VC titles will sell more when they drip feed them to us. In this case we don't get anything though, no idea.

Betty

Banned
It'll do slightly better than the Wii U but will probably be a disappointment to Nintendo like the Wii U.

I'm still buying it though.

Majine

Banned
I think they focused in areas they know they can win and waking up to the reality that people own smartphones. Why bother with Miiverse when people share stuff on Facebook anyway? It will give Switch way more presence in the social spheres. No web browser, Netflix or Youtube? Oh noes, whatever will I do? Oh right, use them on my iPhone I have always with me.

More than the Wii U ever was, The Switch knows what it is, and what it isn't.

The launch lineup is pretty dire tho.

Public opinion really seems to have turned around since the initial reveal video.
I really do think it's mainly just GAF. Not that some of the complaints aren't valid, but most of the people I'm talking to off of here (friends / coworkers) really don't care about most of this. A good chunk of them are getting it at launch, or waiting until Christmas when Mario is out.

Games will come eventually, that's all the matters to me and most sensible gamers. Pretty much why I never buy a console at launch.

Kacho

I'm really glad I haven't been actively reading GAF or any gaming site really. No system is perfect at launch. No system is without issues.

• OS/Video apps I don't give a shit about. OS will be fine. Apps may come later. Until then I have 100 different devices to consume movies and TV on. Whoooopie
  • Synching issue is a bummer but not a deal breaker.I'll use my Pro controller if I have issues with the Joycons until it gets fixed. No biggie.
  • No VC is a bummer but I saw some stuff on Zelda earlier that pretty much confirms this game will be absorbing to me like Skyrim was. Gonna be hooked for months.
  • Storage I don't care but I'm not a poor. I'm buying physical anyway so I'm good for a while.

It just feels like a great concept still a bit too early.

I personally love the hardware itself and the concept. But yeah it feels really bare bones and behind the times in a lot of ways. I fully plan on getting one but nowhere near the launch time frame anymore. Maybe by this Holiday season they will have a lot of the problems worked out and I'll grab one then

The whole launch is a total switch show. The reason they took so long to give us details about the system is because it was all bad news. I don't know how they're messing it up so badly on every level.

I'm glad I have a Wii U for Zelda. I'm keeping my Switch pre-order, but I'm most likely going to sell it to a friend or relative who didn't manage to get their pre-order in.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm really glad I haven't been actively reading GAF or any gaming site really. No system is perfect at launch. No system is without issues.

• OS/Video apps I don't give a shit about. OS will be fine. Apps may come later. Until then I have 100 different devices to consume movies and TV on. Whoooopie
  • Synching issue is a bummer but not a deal breaker.I'll use my Pro controller if I have issues with the Joycons until it gets fixed. No biggie.
  • No VC is a bummer but I saw some stuff on Zelda earlier that pretty much confirms this game will be absorbing to me like Skyrim was. Gonna be hooked for months.
  • Storage I don't care but I'm not a poor. I'm buying physical anyway so I'm good for a while.

Well i guess i should just be happy then

It'd no doubt be awesome being able to play them, but I very much doubt VC titles are a major draw for people. Maybe among enthusiasts, but we even had people here downplaying BC and this is a gaming forum. Honestly, this launch is for people who really want to get in early, but this idea that a system is terrible because at launch it doesn't have all the features desired is a bit short sided. Even failures of systems like the DC and Wii U didn't die in a few months and the Switch won't either

Come on op. I wouldn't buy one on day 1 but you're exaggerating. The only thing that is crazy to me is that pro controller price. Maybe no bluetooth as well. Just wait. 6 months from now it will be a much better system.

ViolentP

Don't make a claim as fact and then not show your evidence for it.

I don't need to show evidence. Every person in here has the ability to see for themselves. If someone doesn't want to bother themselves with doing their own research for 5 minutes, hire a secretary.

OP is full of half-truths and disingenuous claims. I agree with the mobile app aspect but the rest of it is pretty much just putting a spin on stuff you don't like.

Mosse

Neo Member
I think they'll be fine. Software seems rushed but hardware looks great. I can't afford it until later this year and hopefully they've fixed most of the problems then.

Kthulhu

Some of you need to take a step away from GAF. You're losing your mind
giphy.gif

For real. Bunch of negative nancys need to chill.

Most of these issues can be fixed later if necessary. And if you're mad enough about the Switch, then cancel your pre order. Plenty of people would be glad to have one..

The problem is that they can't do that because investors would be on their ass.

Reason why I don't buy this is because they had to of already been on their ass for some time. It's awesome that Nintendo was able to trickle out some amazing games late in the Wii U's life cycle but this console should have came out a year ago.

And I knock the Switch mostly because of basic functionality missing. Trophies, Netflix, stuff like that. VC games delayed and 3rd party apps I'm fine with, but it's 2017...That stuff should be included at launch.

And lets be honest, this thing got fully revealed a month ago. No way would they have lost investors or money from launching in June/July. Maybe could have made more money during the summer lull with no school.

So Nintendo are never going to just make a traditional non gimmicky console again are they? I would love for them to just make a NES with a regular ass controller and beefy hardware. My first console was the NES and I would love to come back but refuse to pay for the dumbshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom