• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI previously was planning to pay the author of Russia dossier to keep writing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6ab470-facc-11e6-9845-576c69081518_story.html
The former British spy who authored a controversial dossier on behalf of Donald Trump’s political opponents alleging ties between Trump and Russia reached an agreement with the FBI a few weeks before the election for the bureau to pay him to continue his work, according to several people familiar with the arrangement.

The agreement to compensate former MI6 agent Christopher Steele came as U.S. intelligence agencies reached a consensus that the Russians had interfered in the presidential election by orchestrating hacks of Democratic Party email accounts.

While Trump has derided the dossier as “fake news” compiled by his political opponents, the FBI’s arrangement with Steele shows that bureau investigators considered him credible and found his line of inquiry to be worthy of pursuit.
Ultimately, the FBI did not pay Steele. Communications between the bureau and the former spy were interrupted as Steele’s now-famous dossier became the subject of news stories, congressional inquiries and presidential denials, according to the people familiar with the arrangement, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter.

At the time of the October agreement, FBI officials probing Russian activities, including possible contacts between Trump associates and Russian entities, were aware of the information that Steele had been gathering while working for a Washington research firm hired by supporters of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, according to the people familiar with the agreement. The firm was due to stop paying Steele as Election Day approached, but Steele felt his work was not done, these people said.

Steele was familiar to the FBI, in part because the bureau had previously hired him to help a U.S. inquiry into alleged corruption in the world soccer organization FIFA. The FBI sometimes pays informants, sources and outside investigators to assist in its work. Steele was known for the quality of his past work and for the knowledge he had developed over nearly 20 years working on Russia-related issues for British intelligence. The Washington Post was not able to determine how much the FBI intended to pay Steele had their relationship remained intact.

I hope they or someone else is paying Steele under the table.

I imagine he can't work on anything if he's in hiding but he's probably corroborating info with members of the intelligence community. I imagine there are a lot of people interested in paying him to find more shit out though.

Edit: Sorry for starting both sentences with "I imagine". I'm such an idiot i hate myself.

Money quote
While Trump has derided the dossier as “fake news” compiled by his political opponents, the FBI’s arrangement with Steele shows that bureau investigators considered him credible and found his line of inquiry to be worthy of pursuit.

I can't decide if it was overall good or bad that the dossier got leaked. On one hand, it helped to propel the story to the mainstream public, but, on the other, it seems it may have put a halt on the initial investigation compiling the dossier.

finley83

Banned
Observing this whole affair in real time feels watching like the fizzing fuse from the Mission Impossible titles. It's only a matter of time until some serious shit comes down.

daveo42

Banned
Pee stuff was real then pretty much.

Nah, it's most likely a plant by Russian Intelligence to make the entire document seem less credible. The outlandish stuff calls into question the validity of the entire document and makes it that much harder to independently verify its contents. We are getting there with some of the actual heinous shit between the Trump camp and Russia, but whenever the report or its contents are brought up, there's always the rebuttal that it's made up because of the piss bits.

Counter-terrorism at work.

The fact that this article is able to source "people familiar with Steele’s thinking” is super interesting. It seems like a line of communication has been established between Steele and the WaPo.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I see you're all still thinking way, way too small here. You think this is about not paying taxes, being racist, and maybe having a weird kink (even with a tape)?

Think bigger. Worse. None of the above would phase him or his followers, but something that we can all kinda thread the needle with his interest in Russia and modeling and pageants kinda screams out here.

This ain't about no pee tape.

KingK

Hopefully all this stuff helps drag him down in the next election, but nothing is going to happen before that.

The Trump/Russia stuff couldn't be more obvious, but the GOP are all treasonous evil fucks. Every single one. They aren't going to lift a finger against Trump for anything, even if they had a tape of him raping a 13 year old. He's not going to suffer any legal consequences or blowback from Republican politicians for any of this.

It'll probably be one of many things that help him lose enough voters to fail in the 2020 election though.

It would be so crazy if the pee tape got dumped on the internet. I know that I would have to get a peek at it out of morbid curiosity, and I also know that it would haunt me for the rest of my days.

Tugatrix

The guy need a hand fast, look the US will turn their backs and the Russkies want his skin, it won't be easy for him...

Bolivar687

Banned
This really should have been disclosed to the votership before the election if it was credible. If not, it should not be given the attention it is getting now. There's something disturbing about the way this report is being handled and the Post article suggests Steele was indeed motivated not only monetarily but politically as well:

Steele's information was provided by an intermediary to the FBI and U.S. intelligence officials after the Democratic National Convention in July, when hacked Democratic emails were first released by WikiLeaks, according to a source familiar with the events. After the convention, Steele contacted a friend in the FBI to personally explain what he had found.

[...]

In October, anticipating that funding supplied through the original client would dry up, Steele and the FBI reached a verbal understanding: He would continue his work looking at the Kremlin's ties to Trump and receive compensation for his efforts.

But Steele's frustration deepened when FBI Director James B. Comey, who had been silent on the Russia inquiry, announced publicly 11 days before the election that the bureau was investigating a newly discovered cache of emails Clinton had exchanged using her private server, according to people familiar with Steele's thinking.

Buzzfeed making the editorial decision to retroactively redact the name of the company allegedly involved with the DNC leaks also reinforces its equiovcal merit. Appropriating intelligence for political gain is an extraordinary threat to our republic and it's especially troubling when the article suggests that Democrats are now looking to continue funding Steele's investigation. This administration needs to be confronted on its problematic policies but the deep state and the intelligence community has no role to play in that endeavor.

This really should have been disclosed to the votership before the election if it was credible. If not, it should not be given the attention it is getting now. There's something disturbing about the way this report is being handled and the Post article suggests Steele was indeed motivated not only monetarily but politically as well:

The fact that Buzzfeed made the decision to retroactively redact the company allegedly involved with the DNC leaks also reinforces its equiovcal merit. Appropriating intelligence for political gain is an extraordinary threat to our republic and it's especially troubling when the article suggests that Democrats are now looking to continue funding Steele's investigation. This administration needs to be confronted on its problematic policies but the deep state and the intelligence community has no role to play in that endeavor.

Yeah... who's gonna stop the toxic threat to our republic that the administration is? Sometimes you have to do bad things to put bad people away. Too fucking bad for them. Welcome to America.

Remember, Democrats weren't the people to pull the trigger on "intelligence for political gain," and I'll be damned if I'm going to let it go just like that. Republicans wanna play in the mud, then they can drown in it.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I keep thinking about Maxine Waters coming out of that meeting with Comey fuming and screaming about how incompetent he was. Hmmmm

WedgeX

Banned
Thanks for outing his name, Wall Street Journal, when other outlets refused to do so.

Going to assume that the whole dossier is real from now on.

Nafai1123

Banned

Buzzfeed making the editorial decision to retroactively redact the name of the company allegedly involved with the DNC leaks also reinforces its equiovcal merit. Appropriating intelligence for political gain is an extraordinary threat to our republic and it's especially troubling when the article suggests that Democrats are now looking to continue funding Steele's investigation. This administration needs to be confronted on its problematic policies but the deep state and the intelligence community has no role to play in that endeavor.

Steele continue to gather intel after he stopped getting paid because he felt the information he was receiving was so disturbing. It was not politically motivated.

And up until recently, none of the intel had been confirmed, which is why it was not reported on. Now that more and more of the dossier is being corroborated, I'm damn happy it's out in the open, otherwise we wouldn't know anything that's going on.

Your comment about the "deep state" is straight up conservative talking point BS.

Boylamite

I see you're all still thinking way, way too small here. You think this is about not paying taxes, being racist, and maybe having a weird kink (even with a tape)?

Think bigger. Worse. None of the above would phase him or his followers, but something that we can all kinda thread the needle with his interest in Russia and modeling and pageants kinda screams out here.

This ain't about no pee tape.

And not only that, according to the dossier the Russia stuff dwarves in comparison to some of his dealings in China. I wonder if there was more to the One China Deal than just a juicy trademark.

rjinaz

More and more things are checking out with this thing, watch Maddows report from last night im surprised it isnt a huger story right now. I mean we got real money trails now.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/...-of-lucrative-trump-russian-deal-886220355575

Seriously. Just got done watching that a bit ago and it was amazing how obviously corrupt Trump is.

$60 mil in Trumps pocket right when he needed to pay off a debt. And it was Russian money, just tied into a real estate deal.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seriously. Just got done watching that a bit ago and it was amazing how obviously corrupt Trump is.

$60 mil in Trumps pocket right when he needed to pay off a debt. And it was Russian money, just tied into a real estate deal.

What i find amazingly realistic in all this was that the shit they got on Trump wasnt to con him into having a puppet president, it was because of the huge payments he was collecting from Russia and he was seeking out more people looking to offload cash into America. But just so happens somewhere down the line he either personally wanted to or was coerced into running, and literally a ton of the people he has surrounded himself with that are now in government he never met before and all have deep Russian connections. I literally think he is being told by people in Russia who to run his campaign and put in his cabinet.

Is there a reason why the FBI or anyone can can't just look into his bank account and see where the dirty money is coming from? If they can do that to Bernie Madoff and Jordan Belfort, why can't they do the same for Trump?

Observing this whole affair in real time feels watching like the fizzing fuse from the Mission Impossible titles. It's only a matter of time until some serious shit comes down.

You have to admit tho, that fake news line is somewhat effective, but i think using it too much the effect will fade eventually. I hope anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom