• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is bringing VR/AR Apis to Xbone/Scorpio in 2018

Ms just announced on GDC that their mixed reality apis will come to xbox one and scorpio in 2018. These apis are part of their uwp platform and it will allow both games and apps to use VR or AR.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-dev-kits-shipping-month/#XqBhLxrC3BpLEyD6.97

This basically confirms support for Vive, Oculus and many others for scorpio, but I have no idea how they are expecting xbone to handle it though (perhaps just apps and less intensive games?)

Zedox

It doesn't confirm support...it just says that those devices have the ability to use those APIs. ;)

All in all, good news.

killatopak

I wonder how it would fare compared to PS VR.

On pc you could brute force VR to display amazing visuals. PS4 and Pro is significantly weaker but PS VR allowed it to utilize the machine more effectively since it's built from the from the ground up to work with the consoles.

Exciting news nonetheless. This means the rumor that MS dropped VR on Scorpio is put to rest.

Sulik2

The Scorpio is sounding more and more like its going to be a locked down Windows 10 PC and not a separate game console running a specialized version of Windows 10. Which will be very interesting if true, especially once modders take a look at it.

Bsigg12

I mean isn't HoloLens dead? What can even be done with the API for a sevice that doesn't exist?

No? Hololens is still very clearly aimed as an enterprise device currently. They're beginning to expand what is capable with Windows Holographic and that's where this announcement comes from.

The Scorpio is sounding more and more like its going to be a locked down Windows 10 PC and not a separate game console running a specialized version of Windows 10. Which will be very interesting if true, especially once modders take a look at it.
Ms seems to be headed to that direction, even for phones.

Exciting times ahead.

Nzyme32

Ms just announced on GDC that their mixed reality apis will come to xbox one and scorpio in 2018. These apis are part of their uwp platform and it will allow both games and apps to use VR or AR.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-dev-kits-shipping-month/#XqBhLxrC3BpLEyD6.97

This basically confirms support for Vive, Oculus and many others for scorpio, but I have no idea how they are expecting xbone to handle it though (perhaps just apps and less intensive games?)

Does it? I don't see any APIs listed. MS are also not on board with OpenXR either, so this seems unlikely, for Vive / Rift / other OpenVR HMDs.

Can't wait to see those alternate reality games APIs!

Not sure if this actually means anything concrete for Xbox.
The link says they are already starting taking submissions for vr games through id@xbox.

It's happening.gi
I mean isn't HoloLens dead? What can even be done with the API for a device that doesn't exist?

No? Hololens is still very clearly aimed as an enterprise device currently. They're beginning to expand what is capable with Windows Holographic and that's where this announcement comes from.
Ms has skipped HoloLens v2 and is already developing v3 which is aimed for consumers. But it will come only in 2019.

leeh

Really? I swear I remember reading they were shelving the project.
Nope. It's pretty much enterprise prototype tech which is far from being as established to become mass produced and cheap enough todo so.

Once it matures and starts being more cost effective, you'll start seeing in trying to enter the consumer market.

Even though VR is fantastic, I personally think AR like Hololens will become bigger, as it has more purpose. Mixing virtual with reality just has endless more functions.

Does it? I don't see any APIs listed. MS are also not on board with OpenXR either, so this seems unlikely, for Vive / Rift / other OpenVR HMDs.
Their mixed reality apis supports those headsets, if that's what they are bringing to Xbox makes no sense to not support it (specially since one of the strengths of uwp is a common accessories support)

12Dannu123

OpenXR is software based. Microsoft in a way can bypass OpenVR and Oculus Home, since Windows Holographic is a OS Shell and not an application and an HMD will recognise an OS level feature over an application feature.

Trago

2018?

I thought it was one of the pillars of project Scorpio? Bringing high-fidelity VR to consoles?

I imagine they're working out some kind of deal with either Oculus or HTC, otherwise it'd be ready for launch. There are lots of VR games available already.

Nope, they scrubbed VR from marketing materials (likely after seeing how PSVR has gone down so far)

With nearly a million sold in 4 months, and it being a £350 add on to a £300 console, I would say its gone down very well considering.

The tracking solution is awful, but patents suggest a vive fix is being planned.

We just need to have good first party games for it.

Its selling better than both the other vr solutions combined and its the only mass market option that isnt mobile based so its in our interests for it to succeed

Trago

One thing I'm wondering is if any of the first party studios will support any VR hardware.On one hand I think it'd be cool if a studio tried their hand at the tech, but on the other, I don't want any more studio closures if such a game flops like Guerrilla Cambridge.

cakely

Reading through the link:

We're also excited to share that Windows Mixed Reality experiences will light up on other devices over time, beyond desktop and Microssoft HoloLens. Our plan is to bring mixed reality content to the Xbox One family of devices, including Project Scorpio, in 2018.

So, it sounds like we won't be seeing the XBO VR solution this year along with the Scorpio launch.

Nope, they scrubbed VR from marketing materials (likely after seeing how PSVR has gone down so far)

Heh, nice. Gotta work in a little slam against PSVR in there.

clav

After watching that video, first image popped in my mind.

DyZZa2p.jpg

I wonder how that Acer headset compares to the big 3 vr headsets.

VR and MR ( mixed reality ) it's a different concept and a different products ( and very different price point )

the video it's kind of explicative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpI0JosYUk

HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, and Acer will bring the base specification of MR on their own visor

the Acer product will be the first to be released to the market, around during 2H of 2017
others will follow of course, but they should be all more or less aligned with Microsoft specs at least for the first release of MR products

the 2018 it's about bringing native MR contents ( game / dashboard support) to Xbox family , Pc will be of course the first Microsoft platform to support this devices

EvB

Reading through the link:

So, it sounds like we won't be seeing the XBO VR solution this year along with the Scorpio launch.

Heh, nice. Gotta work in a little slam against PSVR in there.

not at all, I was saying that PSVR is so damn successful that Microsoft just can't handle it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
PSVR has done extremely well just FYI.

I think I saw where it had moved 900,000 units to date. Not really 'extremely well' IMO, but that is just me. I would think 50% adoption rate would be extremely well. Or are my numbers incorrect?

VR and MR ( mixed reality ) it's a different concept and a different products ( and very different price point )

the video it's kind of explicative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xpI0JosYUk

HP, Dell, Lenovo, ASUS, and Acer will bring the base specification of MR on their own visor

the Acer product will be the first to be released to the market, around during 2H of 2017
others will follow of course, but they should be all more or less aligned with Microsoft specs at least for the first release of MR products

the 2018 it's about bringing native MR contents ( game / dashboard support) to Xbox family , Pc will be of course the first Microsoft platform to support this devices

Ahh that video sums it up nicely. I like that idea actually.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
No VR solution at Scorpio launch you say? Hmmm let's wait a bit more on that.
Looking forward to their E3 press conference. It'll be intense.

So i guess why they delete the VR part in Scorpio page is because it won't be ready when Scorpio launch.

It will be more surprising if they focus on VR/AR in E3.

Yup. It clearly isn't ready for launch anyway so why focus on it? And it's fine by me.

So chances are we wont be seeing Rift and Vive support but more their own headsets. Are these headsets on par with what's out there now or unknown yet?

12Dannu123

not at all, I was saying that PSVR is so damn successful that Microsoft just can't handle it.

It's likely that Microsoft's VR platform will outsell PSVR. Why??

Because marketing and distribution. Something Oculus, Vive and Sony don't have.

Because Windows Mixed Reality is on both PC and Console and extra on Hololens. In theory, nothing needs to change when developing content, all content will work on all of them. By the time Scorpio VR launches, they will already have the content.

Top Bottom