• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS is bringing VR/AR Apis to Xbone/Scorpio in 2018

cakely

not at all, I was saying that PSVR is so damn successful that Microsoft just can't handle it.

I misread that, my bad.

I mean, less than a million units is not a huge success. I was assuming that MS considered the potential market to be too small to be worth it.

Also, I had read this post and assumed they were in the same vein.

They were marketing VR just in case PSVR was a console seller but it flopped so now they don't care as much.

jeffram

I think I saw where it had moved 900,000 units to date. Not really 'extremely well' IMO, but that is just me. I would think 50% adoption rate would be extremely well. Or are my numbers incorrect?
900K in a few months for a $400 peripheral is really good. Especially since it seems that they are selling through all they can manufacture, and double the next two platforms combined. Sony didn't expect to sell more.

Your definition of extremely well would have them sell 25M in a few months, which is faster than any console, and is more or less impossible.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
900K in a few months for a $400 peripheral is really good. Especially since it seems that they are selling through all they can manufacture, and double the next two platforms combined. Sony didn't expect to sell more.

Your definition of extremely well would have them sell 25M in a few months, which is faster than any console, and is more or less impossible.

I can stand corrected. I personally didn't think 900k was a lot, but if they are outselling production then that is completely different story.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I can stand corrected. I personally didn't think 900k was a lot, but if they are outselling production then that is completely different story.
Also take into account that Sony dropped the ball major and can't steadily supply chains with PSVRs. Mass manufacturing issue or they just heavily underestimated the initial demand. They would've & should've sold way more actual units by now if they could keep supplying chains but they literally face-planted trying to do so atm it seems.

Caayn

PSVR has done extremely well just FYI.
I think that after Kinect, which sold 8 million units in two months, Microsoft is a bit more reserved on releasing add-ons.
Yeah, PSVRs have been sold out everywhere since launch. If one hits store shelves, it's sold almost immediately. It literally can't sell more than the 900,000 it already has.
Not where I live, the Netherlands. I had no trouble buying one of the many units available when I bought my unit in early November.
What's an Apis?
It's a programming interface that lets you perform certain actions without writing them yourself and they allow you to communicate with other services.

Let's say that I have a math API which allows me to perform certain mathematical operations without needing to write them myself. That way I can multiply X and Y without needing to write the multiplication code myself.

Nzyme32

Their mixed reality apis supports those headsets, if that's what they are bringing to Xbox makes no sense to not support it (specially since one of the strengths of uwp is a common accessories support)

Ah, so just the Windows Holographic one, rather than the others

gamz

All the ignorance about VR and its popularity. I get the feeling that some of you want it to fail.

Or people just don't care about it. I can care less if it fails or not. I have no interest in VR. Now, AR is a different story.

Yep. So like I (and others) mentioned before, this is probably paving the way for Scorpio to use multiple headsets instead of just partnering with one.

So chances are we wont be seeing Rift and Vive support but more their own headsets. Are these headsets on par with what's out there now or unknown yet?
The Win10 headsets range in price and performance so some will be less capable, while other on par or exceeding. I think the cheapest one announced is going to be around $200.

Alias03

Is it just me or was anyone else super confused at Apis in the thread title? I thought it was new VR tech or something. Then it finally clicked as APIs

cakely

Or people just don't care about it. I can care less if it fails or not. I have no interest in VR. Now, AR is a different story.

Hmm. I wonder why that is.

It's brand loyalty.

Also, the phrase is "I couldn't care less."

Chris1

It's brand loyalty.

Or maybe he doesn't want to be completely removed from the real world when gaming? Maybe he doesn't want to accidentally fall because he "forgets" he's still there IRL. Wait no, gotta be brand loyalty.

I prefer AR too.. but I don't even like any of them. None of them will take off for gaming IMO, AR might on the business side of things but who knows.

gamz

Or maybe he doesn't want to be completely removed from the real world when gaming? Maybe he doesn't want to accidentally fall because he "forgets" he's still there IRL. Wait no, gotta be brand loyalty.

I prefer AR too.. but I don't even like any of them. None of them will take off for gaming IMO, AR might on the business side of things but who knows.

To be honest the 10 minute demo made me sick. I couldn't see playing a full game with it on.

And I've really like what MS has been doing the past 3-4 years. I think they are the most interesting tech company out there and that includes their hardware.

Compsiox

Banned

If he's using a Vive he wouldn't fall due to forgetfulness. There are in game boundaries that can constantly be on if necessary.

I would certainly try it.

If you do actually have bad motion sickness that's more understandable. But I think it would definitely be worth a try.

Chris1

If he's using a Vive he wouldn't fall due to forgetfulness. There are in game boundaries that can constantly be on if necessary.

If you do actually have bad motion sickness that's more understandable. But I think it would definitely be worth a try.
Yeah Vive seems to be the best one. Honestly I haven't even tried any VR and don't really have any intentions to, I just don't like the idea of being took out of the real world. I think a lot of games are immersive enough as it is let alone disappearing from the real world. Plus I get bad motion sickness on some games, so I don't even want to try VR as I'm sure my experience would be awful with it.

But as I said I don't think AR will take off for gaming either.. I think it might do well in Education & busineses side of things but IMO as far as gaming goes no peripheral like that will take off after wii and kinect crashed and burned (i know they're better than both but it's the natural evolution of it).. They'll probably sell enough to get support for a few years but I don't expect it to be the next big thing ala the Wii or Kinect

Saying that I get the appeal and I think VR will be more successful than AR when it comes to gaming

Yeah Vive seems to be the best one. Honestly I haven't even tried any VR and don't really have any intentions to, I just don't like the idea of being took out of the real world. I think a lot of games are immersive enough as it is let alone disappearing from the real world. Plus I get bad motion sickness on some games, so I don't even want to try VR as I'm sure my experience would be awful with it.

But as I said I don't think AR will take off for gaming either.. I think it might do well in Education & busineses side of things but IMO as far as gaming goes no peripheral like that will take off after wii and kinect crashed and burned (i know they're better than both but it's the natural evolution of it).. They'll probably sell enough to get support for a few years but I don't expect it to be the next big thing ala the Wii or Kinect

Saying that I get the appeal and I think VR will be more successful than AR when it comes to gaming

I can kind of agree with this. VR is more suited for gaming than AR is IMO because of it's ability to fully immerse you. AR will assuredly have it's own types of games that can only be done there, though they'll be even more different than what VR is doing compared to traditional gaming (eg. imagine Pokemon Go without needing a phone to see the Pokemon). It's just that it's immediately obvious how AR's use cases are way more varied and beyond gaming so it won't have nearly the same focus as VR does right now.

krang

So it's: "here's a bunch of tools if you fancy giving it a go. But fucked if we're getting involved"

Probably the right way to approach VR as a platform holder, actually.

leeh

It's brand loyalty.

No, people have a preference. I've used a PSVR and a Oculus and they're both fantastic, but I couldn't see myself playing a full game on one or using it a lot.

AR, although I haven't used it, I'm more looking forward for. Mixing virtual with real is way more appealing to me.

AR is going to be integrated everywhere eventually (assuming they can get the form factor down). VR is only ever going to be a living room tool. Apples and oranges.

OT: Very cool, and basically what I figured they'd do rather than try to develop their own headset.

AmyS

Good news.

2017 is gonna be great.

Switch & Scorpio, early & late this year.

Scorpio VR/AR next year.

Ah, so just the Windows Holographic one, rather than the others

Actually Ms had already announced support for Vive in Windows Holographic (which is now called windows mixed reality) platform, and I think Oculus too, but I couldn't find it now, perhaps with all the current drama around Oculus they backed off that.

They announced last year, and showed some demos of hololens and vive users interacting on the same scene, and said they were working together with any headset manufacturer to bring it to their platform.

Nzyme32

Actually Ms had already announced support for Vive in Windows Holographic (which is now called windows mixed reality) platform, and I think Oculus too, but I couldn't find it now, perhaps with all the current drama around Oculus they backed off that.

They announced last year, and showed some demos of hololens and vive users interacting on the same scene, and said they were working together with any headset manufacturer to bring it to their platform.

I asked, because I have heard nothing about it and it isn't in the article. The only recent news I know of is the majority getting involved with OpenXR for which OpenVR has been donated. Of course, MS is the only company to be missing from the group, so it would makes sense for them to make a proprietary system for Windows Holographic. I'm sure the HMD manufacturers will be happy to join everything, but as far as I am aware Lighthouse requires Steam for setup purposes / updates at the moment

Given the limitations of PSVR on PS4, I can't imagine
900p
XB1 actually being able to support the higher resolution of Rift/Vive headsets.

I'll be surprised if this doesn't end up a Scorpio exclusive feature.

Didn't Phil Spencer just say in the Gameasutra article that he didn't feel VR was there yet (still)? That they want to support it.. But don't feel like its ready for prime time? On mobile so I can't quote right now.

Curious what will be said at E3 (if anything)

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm still not very interested in VR but I hope there will be more games that will make me want to really try and/or buy it in the future.

Drain You

Didn't Phil Spencer just say in the Gameasutra article that he didn't feel VR was there yet (still)? That they want to support it.. But don't feel like its ready for prime time? On mobile so I can't quote right now.

Curious what will be said at E3 (if anything)

As much as I really want VR now, I think this might be a smart stance to take if true. VR could be phenomenal if given a couple more years.

III-V

People are losing their shit over 2018? thats next year. Then they go trash PSVR lol.

Let them launch Scorpio late this year, and sure enough within 12 months you will have first trickle of VR games & dev access to specific VR/AR api. Sounds like a pillar to me. What some people expect in terms of timelines..

Spman2099

I think I saw where it had moved 900,000 units to date. Not really 'extremely well' IMO, but that is just me. I would think 50% adoption rate would be extremely well. Or are my numbers incorrect?

50% adoption rate would be a ludicrous success... that was never going to happen. It has done well, how successful it will be in the longer term will depend on what they have to show this E3.

Top Bottom