• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gryo Controls - Why is this not the future of aiming for consoles?

I'm currently playing BOTW on on my switch, and something really has stuck with me is the aiming system.

The combonation of analog sticks for large sweeping movements + gryo controls for smaller fine movements is amazing. I would almost go as far as to say this is KB&M levels of accuracy and as removed almost all of my frustration with the traditional aiming with simply dual analog sticks.

After doing a little more research it looks like splatoon really utilized this super well too (Seems like most of the high level players use gryo to aim).

Why don't any other games utilize this system? Doesn't the PS4 controller have gryo built into it? I could imagine playing overwatch on my PS4 and actually enjoying it with a controller if it had such an awesome aiming system like this.

Thoughts? Maybe I'm just getting excited about nothing here, but if anyone here plays splatoon on a high level maybe they could give some insight on how they feel this system compares to traditional dual analog sticks and mouse and keyboard controls.

Kanhir

This was my biggest surprise when I played Twilight Princess HD. The gyro aiming is just so quick and intuitive, it's really difficult to go back to stick-only aiming after that.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
After Zelda, I keep trying to tweak my aim in Horizon by twisting the PS4 controller. Feels incredibly natural - would love to see it in more games.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Honestly Splatoon and even the other HD Zelda remakes made this so second-nature that I find myself tilting the controller to fine-aim when playing on my PS4, and it not working bums me out.

Just my experience, but I've found the Switch Pro controller and the Joycons tend to float a bit and lose their centre, which makes the gyro aiming on BOTW a bit frustrating. But really, not everyone likes it.

Splatoon utilised gyro aiming well, because traditional aiming was trash on it.

Hm? I thought some PS4 for games did this? Doesn't MGSV have this when you used the granade or am I misremembering?

But I agree, it feels so natural it's almost really weird

mrkgoo

I remember when Wii TP had sensor aiming and it was cool.... like so much better.

Then in Skyward Sword they changed it to gyro, and I was "huh?" until you realise it's absolutely better.

It's so great. If you replay some of the remakes like OoT and Majora's mask, you notice how easily you nail the target shooting mini games

Zojirushi

Can't really use it because I'm not sitting with my hands pointing towards the TV most of the time while gaming which makes Gyro super awkward.

Had to stop using the steam controller because of this too.

JC Sera

gyro aiming on the wii-u/switch doesn't work that well for me because I have hand tremors/shakes

I also cant take pictures with my smart phone due to this issue so I feel like i'm a minority here :p

BashNasty

Well you're still using the sticks to aim, but you can tilt up or down for a little extra accuracy.
It helps quite a bit in Zelda and I remember Uncharted Vita used it too.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the pro controller gets stuck in a dead zone in Zelda while gyro aiming from time to time?

TheMoon

because most of the *clears throat* "hardcore gamers" out there run away in disgust if you merely mention the idea of possibly moving your wrist to aim.

that just won't change. it's sad.

Z..

Honestly Splatoon and even the other HD Zelda remakes made this so second-nature that I find myself tilting the controller to fine-aim when playing on my PS4, and it not working bums me out.

I don't know... I love gyro aiming if I'm also given control over the camera with the stick... Splatoon's weird middle ground of only allowing you to use the stick in certain directions made it impossible to get used to in my personal experience.

But yes, it is clearly the way to go from now on.

Lucifon

Honestly, I can't express how much I hate gyro aiming. Adored Splatoon but despised the controls and it resulted in the non-gyro controls being also terrible.

My time with Zelda on the Switch hasn't changed that opinion.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the pro controller gets stuck in a dead zone in Zelda while gyro aiming from time to time?

Yes! This, it's frustrating. It just suddenly kicks in sometimes and other times doesn't. It's jarring.

ryushe

Uncharted Golden Abyss was the first game to make me fall in love with this feature. Unfortunately, not many games followed suit.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's great, love using it in BotW. Except for the drift. It's just never completely stable. IR aiming is better in that regard, but worse in others (the best is probably a combination, where gyro takes over when the IR light is no longer visible).

PKrockin

One of the rare times I didn't find it to be a straight upgrade was with RE Revelations on 3DS, where the lack of a second stick meant I had to turn the console 90 degrees to turn 90 degrees while aiming. As along as there's a secondary solution for making those kinds of large adjustments, like a right analog stick, gyro aiming is a straight upgrade IMO.

And is it just me or does Gravity Rush 2 do it pretty badly? Maybe it's just the shifting gravity that adds that extra layer of disorientation to make it feel uncomfortable, but I eventually turned it off because it felt like it wasn't working that well for whatever reason.

Honestly, I can't express how much I hate gyro aiming. Adored Splatoon but despised the controls and it resulted in the non-gyro controls being also terrible.

My time with Zelda on the Switch hasn't changed that opinion.

Yes! This, it's frustrating. It just suddenly kicks in sometimes and other times doesn't. It's jarring.

It stops the gyro controls whenever you touch the right thumbstick. You can use that to recenter yourself basically move with the right thumbstick, and reorient the controller to be facing forward, then it should feel a lot more natural to aim.

tsundoku

Gravity Rush has it and its awful because it has acceleration and decelleration and turning it off instantly makes the camera control in that game 100% better.

In Splatoon and the Zeldas its fantastic.

If its exact in Horizon its probably fantastic there too.

The Dualshock 4 is just really light which makes it not work for me with my small hand shakyness, I suspect the Switch Pro Controller has extra weight to it precisely for good Gyro control.

Its also the reason the Wii U gamepad feels light and cheap at first, but once you start to use Gyro in Splatoon and Breath of the Wild you appreciate how its just in the perfect weight range to feel light for regular use, and hefty for gyro use.

Wii U Gamepad has a little too much leverage if you're holding it from one side and i've slightly hurt my wrist expecting to hold it that way, the Switch really solved this by just being slightly smaller and the Pro Controller being way smaller but just the right amount of Heft

If I have to criticize BoTW at all its that Gyro sensitivity seems to be tied to camera speed so because I immediately set my camera speed to max the Gyro is like a tick or two too responsive. Also tapping on the control stick, understandably, because of a different FoV and character sizes, doesn't do as much for you in BoTW as it does in Splatoon.

In Splatoon I absolutely keep sensitivity maxed out because you need to quickly sweep long distances across the screen to make murder happen.

I love using it with my Wii U/Switch and Steam Controller, and I wish more PS4 games used it too. Gyro controls is a fantastic way to make up for the horrific imprecision of dual-stick aiming.

This is six axis yeh?

No thanks

Horrible horrible.

PS3 six-axis was terrible. Gyro controls since then have been vastly better.

massoluk

Banned
I am pulling this theory out of my ass here, but I want to see Venn Diagram of people preferring twinsticks, mouse+keyboard and gyro assist aiming. I am betting we will see more overlap of M&KB with gyro assist

Cartman86

Banned
Yep love it in Zelda. Augmenting standard stick controls is the perfect use for motion controlled devices that aren't tracked by an outside source. Makes the drift not as bad. It's a small difference from the sixaxis days but boy is the end result actually useful. Found myself really missing it in Nioh. Solves the biggest issue with analog aiming.

And no dual analog doesn't bother me. Been using is since pre-dual shock days. Really good at it and usually play PC games with a controller these days so I'm not a mouse/keyboard snob.

[NaK]

I absolutely hate gyro aiming on the Wii U gamepad and 3Ds. It feel much better with regular button/joystick controls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. Gyrometer.

Sixaxis/DS3 did have a gyro in fact. Maybe not as high quality as what the Switch has, but it was there. Used for fine-tuning your aim in KZ2 among other things. Without a gyro tracking yaw (rotation in the horizontal plane) is impossible.

Is there a list somewhere of games with gyro aim?

If so, can we have a thread that does that? Underrated feature.

Also want to note how the Steam Controller can make this a possibility for any game.

Protome

I've only been using it in BOTW because the sensitivity of the stick aiming fucks up whenever you zoom in. I still much prefer analog stick for even fine tuned aiming, Nintendo just continuously refuses to properly handle stick sensitivity and so gyro aiming feels so much better than the alternative as a result.

The same was very much true of Splatoon, where the Y axis aiming just felt off with the stick for no real reason other than to force you to use gyro controls.

Definitely a fan of its use for fine tuning aiming, have used it a lot o with my steam controller and on the Vita in a few games where it helped compensate for the sticks. Why is it not the standard or the future? People are funny about motion controls. I would like to see it as an option more often though

Gyro enhanced aiming (gyros + right stick) really is the best form of aiming.
I already liked it in Splatoon but somehow it felt even better in Zelda BotW.
If Overwatch came to Switch I would probably play it more on there than I've already played it on PC.

It feels so natural and...correct.

Waggle aiming was okay but after Nintendo introduced gyro enhanced aiming with Splatoon (and tweaked it conisderably in Zelda BotW) I really want it in every TPS and FPS out there.

EDIT: People are misunderstanding the premise of this thread.
This thread is not about gyro-only aiming. It's about aiming with the right stick + gyro. It's a match made in heaven.

KHlover

Banned
I think it's because none of the games that use it are on the platforms with a traditional shooter audience.

WiiU
3DS
Vita

Uncharted Golden Abyss also used Gyro-assisted aiming and it's just about the only good thing I can say about that game.

lol @ people comparing today's gyro aiming with Sixaxis ITT

If Overwatch came to Switch I would probably play it more on there than I've already played it on PC.

Have you tried the steam controller? There's no need for Nintendo to achieve this scenario, and on pc to boot. You can swipe fast turns and set it to switch to gyro aim when you place your right thumb down on the pad. Haven't did it with overwatch personally but plenty of other first person games.

Outside of Nintendo fans who keep banging on about it being the best option available most people seem to hate it.

Personally, I've tried it with every single game that people always bag on about it being so much better for, and never found it any more accurate and just taking significantly more effort to get the same results.

Now wiimote/move controller aiming, those are rad as fuck, and I'm sad they didn't catch on more, but gyro aiming is ignored by most developers because most players don't like them and it's a waste of time and money to include it just to satisfy a few weirdos who are almost all just playing Nintendo games anyway. But Nintendo does funding love it, so I don't see that as a huge problem, anyway. The people who want the option are actually getting it in the only games they'd really buy anyway.

Ploid 3.0

I wish the future of Console controls did something like steam controller api. The PS4 controller on steam can be configured however you see fit with tons of possibilities. Want gyro controls for turning in car games? Want it very sensitive? Have at it, and no one can complain about motion controls because it's a option you can enable yourself.

U6SzLhh.jpg
The area where "Mouse" is labeled is the gyro control. Someone set it to be mouse here, which would control your mouse look for aiming, and you can configure it however you want from there. You can also put that as buttons for left and right tilt for example.

Tilt control with steam setup in action. (track pads are more of the precision in this one. Too bad PS4 track pads are in the center of the controller). Gyro is used in this setup for looking up and down, diagonals are track pad + gyro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW3B0slwCA0

Also I wish someone else on PC one upped the steam controller api with all controllers like Steam does, heck add in their own touch pad controller but make it work without needing a dedicated overlay hook or whatever. Some of my non steam games don't work well with SC, and some steam games don't work well with double button presses, it gets to be more of a puzzle of making things work at times.

Echoplx

Valve adding gyro support by default to every PC game with the steam controller has been the greatest controller innovation in a long time.

It's even better than with a joystick too, the mouse pad set up for twitchy movement with precise gyro aiming is perfect.

TheMoon

Sixaxis/DS3 did have a gyro in fact. Maybe not as high quality as what the Switch has, but it was there. Used for fine-tuning your aim in KZ2 among other things. Without a gyro tracking yaw (rotation in the horizontal plane) is impossible.

Really? That really didn't work well then in any of the games I played that had it in them.

TIL that many Nintendo Switch owners never own a playstation 3.

What tells you that? I don't see any indicators of that in here.

Gowans

I turned this off on Zelda on the switch, really don't like it, (made up for the deadzone I guess).

More options are great for those that like them tho.

Top Bottom