• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2024. 240 Hz OLEDs, PCI-Gen5, Path Tracing & Ray Reconstruction.

RagnarokIV

Did I fuck up?

Just traded my RTX 4070 with a friend for his (new) 7900 XTX (yes XTX, not XT)

He’s more interested in DLSS so I figured sure, if it doesn’t work out I can sell the card.

Just installed it now!

winjer

Gold Member
Did I fuck up?

He’s more interested in DLSS so I figured sure, if it doesn’t work out I can sell the card.

Just installed it now!

If it was a 4070 Super or a Ti, there could be an argument that you made a bad deal. But a base 4070 is much slower than a 7900XTX.
At 4K for example, the 7900XTX is close to 60% faster in rasterization.
DLSS is a big advantage. But XeSS 1.3 is also very good. And FSR 3.1 looks very promising.
The 7900XTX does use significantly more power, but with an undervolt, you can narrow the difference.

RagnarokIV

If it was a 4070 Super or a Ti, there could be an argument that you made a bad deal. But a base 4070 is much slower than a 7900XTX.
DLSS is a big advantage. But XeSS 1.3 is also very good. And FSR 3.1 looks very promising.
The 7900XTX does use significantly more power, but with an undervolt, you can narrow the difference.
Yes buddy, was standard 4070.

I’ll try a few games. I’ve already been told to skip FSR and use XESS.

Out of curiosity though I was just trying cyberpunk and Christ FSR is SHIT. Misty’s hair was a mess.

winjer

Gold Member
Yes buddy, was standard 4070.

I’ll try a few games. I’ve already been told to skip FSR and use XESS.

Out of curiosity though I was just trying cyberpunk and Christ FSR is SHIT. Misty’s hair was a mess.

With some games you might have to swap the XeSS dll to the newer 1.3 version.
I'm not sure CP 2077 already has 1.3

hinch7

Did I fuck up?

Just installed it now!
What. Man.. he certainly got the short end of the stick with that lol wth. Unless he needs it for work or Ai thats a massive downgrade on his part.

The 4070 is decent, if baseline for playing current games in 1440P. It isn't that great in Ray Tracing (around a 3080, if that) and Path tracing well, lets say its not worth it on that GPU even with DLSS 3. The 7900XTX is significantly faster in most titles. So much so that having DLSS on won't counter that in most cases. The 7900XTX can easily play the latest games in 4K no problem. There's an update for FSR soon what should improive it a lot and in most Ray tracing titles the XTX will likely come ahead. Unless it has lots of RT effects like CP2077 and Alan Wake 2. Which are few and far between.

Trading in a high end GPU with 24GB VRAM with one half that and much slower is insane. If he's happy with it though, then you got a crazy good deal.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Wow thanks I didn’t realize that.

I’ll try and drop in the newer .dll

Also remember that the 7900XTX has a 60% advantage over then 4070.
So you can play native and still have a 30% performance advantage.

Don't forget to enable SAM for that GPU. AMD works much better with rebar than nvidia.
On your motherboard bios, you need to enable Above 4g Decoding and Rebar Support.
Then on the AMD control panel, enable SAM.

RagnarokIV

What. Man.. he certainly got the short end of the stick with that lol wth. Unless he needs it for work or Ai thats a massive downgrade on his part.

The 4070 is decent, if baseline for playing current games in 1440P. It isn't that great in Ray Tracing (around a 3080, if that) and Path tracing well, lets say its not worth it on that GPU even with DLSS 3. The 7900XTX is significantly faster in most titles. So much so that having DLSS on won't counter that in most cases. The 7900XTX can easily play the latest games in 4K no problem. There's an update for FSR soon what should improive it a lot and in most Ray tracing titles the XTX will likely come ahead. Unless it has lots of RT effects like CP2077 and Alan Wake 2. Which are few and far between.

Trading in a high end GPU with 24GB VRAM with one half that and much slower is insane. If he's happy with it though, then you got a crazy good deal.

I'm not mugging him off haha, I've known him for over 15 years.
He barely plays games and mainly pisses about. His account shows things like The Last Of Us having less than 1 hour playtime.

He basically bought a flagship card, run a few games at max for 20 minutes each and then got bored and wanted to trade so he can do the same 20 minutes but with ray tracing.

He has too much time to kill and short attention.

Also remember that the 7900XTX has a 60% advantage over then 4070.
So you can play native and still have a 30% performance advantage.

Don't forget to enable SAM for that GPU. AMD works much better with rebar than nvidia.
On your motherboard bios, you need to enable Above 4g Decoding and Rebar Support.
Then on the AMD control panel, enable SAM.

Thanks, I already had them enabled. I'm on a 13600k, so hopefully I'm not missing out on much by not being full AMD.

edit:

I guess my post here has stung me:

Last edited:

hinch7

I'm not mugging him off haha, I've known him for over 15 years.
He barely plays games and mainly pisses about. His account shows things like The Last Of Us having less than 1 hour playtime.

He basically bought a flagship card, run a few games at max for 20 minutes each and then got bored and wanted to trade so he can do the same 20 minutes but with ray tracing.

He has too much time to kill and short attention.

Thanks, I already had them enabled. I'm on a 13600k, so hopefully I'm not missing out on much by not being full AMD.

edit:

I guess my post here has stung me:
Fair play. Doesn't look like he's going to miss it and gets to try out some DLSS and Ray tracing. The 7900XTX is a beast of a card. Enjoy.

Talking about the XTX.. for those in the old Blighty you can get it for £767, which is an insane deal. From Ebuyer's Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404451749207?siteid=3&customid=2682243040&toolid=10001 with 20% off code.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Did I fuck up?

Just installed it now!
Please tell me this is a joke. The 7900XTX absolutely wipes the floor with the 4070. DLSS and FG are VERY nice features, but they won't come remotely close to overcoming the advantage in raw performance the 7900XTX has. It will only get better once FSR 3.1 comes. If not, XeSS is just as awesome to fall back on.
The 7900 XTX is competitive in raw performance past the 4080. Now, you could argue that the DLSS/FG advantages on a 4080 overtake the 7900XTX. But anyone with a 7900XTX should not trade down to get anything less than 4080. DLSS and FG are VERY nice features that AMD has a ways to go to play catch up on, but the newest XeSS has shrunk the DLSS gap in a way that FSR has yet to do so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Fair play. Doesn't look like he's going to miss it and gets to try out some DLSS and Ray tracing. The 7900XTX is a beast of a card. Enjoy.

Talking about the XTX.. for those in the old Blighty you can get it for £767, which is an insane deal. From Ebuyer's Ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404451749207?siteid=3&customid=2682243040&toolid=10001 with 20% off code.
yeah, Radeon GPUs have some quite good deals going right now and if (that's a VERY VERY big IF) FSR 3.1 can drastically improve the 7900 XTX will likely last longer than any non-4080 GPU.

Top Bottom