• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your User Name was triggered in a search---but the post wasn't about you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pro-tip: If you want to find out if someone mentioned you, or quoted a post of yours in a thread, search for your User Name and click "show posts".

However, sometimes you'll get back posts that aren't actually about you, but are close enough to trigger the search engine---"birdie", "da", and "watch" on their own don't return my User Name, but it seems if two or more of them are close enough they will.

Today I hit the search "jackpot", so to speak, when I found this Walking Dead post by Arjayes pop up in my search results:

Edited it for Walking Dead spoilers, but here's what triggered the results...

Arjayes said:
I liked the last 20 minutes but other than that... eh. I'll still watch though, I don't think TWD is trash-tier yet.

2) People asking about da gawd...

3) I honestly didn't see the betrayal coming. When [REDACTED] said "birdie" I was thinking...

All three parts of my name in order. I thought it was amusing.

I imagine some User Names have this happen far more often, but it always surprises me for a second when the search returns a thread I've never post in and I wonder for a brief second if I dropped by once and posted something that just now was being quoted or brought up.

collige

Banned
Orgasm denial

image.php

Numb

Happens alot if you got a generic one or word

I'm getting tired of all y'all nikkas out there becoming numb to X thing

Geist-

About half of posts that come up when I try to do a username search are specifically about Geist the game. I guess it's my own damn fault
but honestly is a quote notification system that hard to implement?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
About half of posts that come up when I try to do a username search are specifically about Geist the game. I guess it's my own damn fault
but honestly is a quote notification system that hard to implement?

How often does that game get brought up?

Hope it gets released on the Virtual Console for the Switch if they do GCN, always wanted to try it out.

All three words in my Username are pretty generic so nothing too interesting.

Though if I ever see a post with "Whatever it takes" exactly I nod in silent approval.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I usually search for spaceghost because searching for Not gives you a bunch of weird things

I could be thorough and search for not spaceghost but I am too lazy to type in 3 extra characters and a space

urfe

Autocorrect always changes my name from urfe to urge, and then I have to wait 60 seconds to try and search again.

I get irritated on my commutes, and always seem to research after 59 seconds.

It became a problem during the last dragon ball super arc was airing. But the 03 at the end helps.

Had this handle for almost 20 years.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Instead of only searching your username, search: "quote=Watch Da Birdie" but without the quotation marks (obviously)
Even that isn't foolproof. For example, my Photobucket account hosts that Shawn Michaels/Kinectimals gif, which has my username in the image URL. So yeah, anytime it's used, it's highlighted in my search.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thread title sounds like a writing prompt for a short horror story.

Like 90% of the posts in my search are this. Fire Emblem and FF threads are common with Lucky, Seven, or just Lucky Seven (FE skill).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Thankfully, mine is a little less common. I do miss the who quoted me feature though.

Autocorrect always changes my name from urfe to urge, and then I have to wait 60 seconds to try and search again.

I get irritated on my commutes, and always seem to research after 59 seconds.

I only have to wait 30 seconds to search again. Used to be 60, but it's been 30 for a long time now.

Pau

The posts are mostly about some basketball player.

There was that time the Victoria Justice/creepy thread came up and the post was actually about me. :/

Mephala

Pro-tip: If you want to find out if someone mentioned you, or quoted a post of yours in a thread, search for your User Name and click "show posts".

Search: quote="Mephala"
Show posts.

No rubbish. Otherwise I get various mentions in Elderscrolls threads where my username is from.

maxcriden

Hmm, I don't think it's happened with mine - seems like it would be nigh on impossible - but that is a pretty hilarious happenstance you quoted in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom