• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you spend your time?

This article (https://clockify.me/time-tracking-statistics) surveys on average how people spend their time. It seems accurate enough:

yearly-breakdown-life-statistic.png

We spend ~20% of our lives working, and that time is when we have the most energy (prime working years/morning-to-afternoon for most people). Energy that could be spent engaging in freely-chosen, fulfilling activities like socializing, hobbies, self-improvement...

What do you think about how people spend their time? How do you spend your time? How do you feel about how sOcIeTy asks you to spend your time?

Do you think as I do that this suggestion from the same article should be a criminal offense?
alOLDSo.png

Yes, this thread has an ulterior motive where I look for ways to cope with having to spend my life's most premium hours and years working until I have enough to retire and I can finally do what I truly want in life, which is whatever the hell I want all the time.

Jesus almost 50% of your life sleeping or trying to get to sleep...

Now I understand the redpill guys on youtube shorts that say they live four 4.5 hour days in one 24 hour period through optimisation of your schedule and only sleeping 6 hours a night!

AJUMP23

Yes, this thread has an ulterior motive where I look for ways to cope with having to spend my life's most premium hours and years working until I have enough to retire and I can finally do what I truly want in life, which is whatever the hell I want all the time.

I think you should plan to do the things you want to do, but also plan to do the things you don't want to to get you to a place where you can do what you want when you want. When you see people that live a life of leisure there is normally a lot of work that went into that.

My typical day for the last 2 years has been:

• 0420: Wake Up
  • 0500:Gym
  • 0700:Home/shower
  • 0800: take daughter to daycare
  • 00815-1145: take care of house/work shit
  • 1200: pick up daughter from daycare
  • 1210: make daughter lunch
  • 1245: Try and get my daughter to sleep
  • 1300-1400: Hopefully have time to play a game or two
  • 1415: Daughter gets up and I'll typically take her swimming/hiking/park
  • 1700: Start dinner/hang out with the wife
  • 1900:Get daughter cleaned up and ready for bed
  • 2000: Daughter goes to bed
  • 2030: Try and usually fail to convince my wife to do butt stuff. Die internally a bit.
  • 2100: Lay in bed with the wife and watch some T.V. and eat ice cream
  • 2200: Lights out and try to sleep.
  • Rinse/repeat.
Starting a new job on Monday and all that shit is about to drastically change. I'm a bit saddened I'm not gonna be able to spend so much time with my daughter and wife, but a really good job opportunity came up and I couldn't say no to it. Gonna be some learning curves.

It does suck in some regard that you may have to spend the majority of your life working/handling responsibilities, but if you didn't; most of ya'll dumbasses would eat/drink/play/masturbate yourselves into an early grave. It gives the little free time you do have much more value and helps your appreciate the things in life that give it meaning. Most humans can't responsibly handle unlimited time/money in a healthy way and they almost always end up as a messed person when given the opportunity.

Last edited:
A parable about work enriching other aspects of life by contrast:

A guy goes to see a doctor. Come to find out the guy has a problem: he keeps hitting his head against a wall. Over and over for about eight hours each day, and now he has significant bruising. The doctor asks him: "If it hurts so much, why do you do it?" Guy: "Because it feels good when I stop."

Krappadizzle, I laughed at your 20:30 agenda item. No disrespect meant towards your take on things.

My typical day for the last 2 years has been:

• 0420: Wake Up
  • 0500:Gym
  • 0700:Home/shower
  • 2030: Try and usually fail to convince my wife to do butt stuff. Die internally a bit.
  • 2100: Lay in bed with the wife and watch some T.V. and eat ice cream
  • 2200: Lights out and try to sleep.
  • Rinse/repeat.
Starting a new job on Monday and all that shit is about to drastically change. I'm a bit saddened I'm not gonna be able to spend so much time with my daughter and wife, but a really good job opportunity came up and I couldn't say no to it. Gonna be some learning curves.

It does suck in some regard that you may have to spend the majority of your life working/handling responsibilities, but if you didn't; most of ya'll dumbasses would eat/drink/play/masturbate yourselves into an early grave. It gives the little free time you do have much more value and helps your appreciate the things in life that give it meaning. Most humans can't responsibly handle unlimited time/money in a healthy way and they almost always end up as a messed person when given the opportunity.

I'll do my weekday too:

0530-0600: Try to ignore my alarm
0600-0700: Getting ready for work
0700-0800: Driving to work (usually doesn't take an hour)
0800-1630: Work
1630-1730: Driving home from work
1730-1900: Dinner / cleanup - this includes making dinner if my wife is working
1900-2000: Exercise -- if non-exercise day, gaming
2000-2130: This alternates between putting kids to bed or gaming / TV time, again depending on if wife is working
2200-2230: Get ready for bed and go to bed

I've got three boys, no toddlers or anything anymore so they largely entertain themselves. Wife works part-time evenings when obviously my evenings are a little more demanding with their care, she takes care of things that way when she's home.

It's surprising the original graph doesn't include 'Commuting', which truly does take up a horrifying amount of the average person's life.

Last edited:

nush

Your wife needs to pull her weight.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
That is wrong for me. I’ve been blesssed with ability to fall asleep in a bout a minute after crawling into bed. It’s great. I also watch very little tv and don’t do social media. The rest is probably pretty close to right though. I’m shocked people spend like 5x as much time on social media as they do socializing. That is sad.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Either sitting with my cat on the couch with bird tv on YouTube, wasting three hours trying to find something to play or to watch on streaming services, or masturbating. Other than that, probably trying to sleep.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I work from home, my wife doesn't work, and our daughter is only in elementary school. So I am pretty much free to partake in whatever entertainment I want to during the day so long as I keep an eye on work stuff.

So I guess 50% work, 50% screwing off.

Go_Ly_Dow

Around 40% of our time in bed. That's why I just splashed money on some very comfy bedding. :messenger_sunglasses:

Also surpised to see the US works more than Japan and in the UK we supposedly work less hours than Spain... I always knew we were lazy bastards.

work-time-statistics.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom