• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunker Party! |OT| Now With 100% More English

71l4mCS.png

Developer / Publisher: Tozai Games / Square Enix
Genre: Precise Punishing Platformer
Platforms: Nintendo Switch (digital, physical for Japan only) / Steam (PC)
Release Date: October 19, 2017 (WW) / April 20th, 2017 (Japan)
Price: $29.99 US digital (available in other regions/languages as well) / ¥5378 Japanese physical (approx. $50USD)
Demo and game out on various eShops now!

Official site | Trailer
Nintendo Store page | Steam Store page

Buy physical (Japanese only): Amazon.co.jp

FAQ:
Q: What is this?
A: Spelunker Party! is a revamped rerelease of the F2P PS4 game Spelunker World, which itself was a sequel to Spelunker HD on the PS3. It's also the first Spelunker game to get a physical release (Japan-only, unfortunately) in almost 30 years, the previous being Spelunker 2 on the Famicom.

Q: F2P? There better not be microtransactions in this.
A: Fear not! All F2P/microtransaction elements have been removed in the Switch rerelease, and the game has been revamped to fit the new format.

Q: How long is the game/how much content is there?
A: There are over 100 stages (the main 100 stages from the PS4 version, plus a number of extra levels), but certain items from later stages will be needed to get items in earlier stages, so there's a certain amount of replay value in that. There are also Quests (in-game achievements, basically) as well as a Doggie Digging mode (use gold to buy your dog candy and then he'll dig up an item for you), and time attack leaderboards on each stage for further enjoyment.

Q: Why do I keep dying? Who puts fall damage in a platformer? Why is this spelunker guy so weak?
A: That's just how Spelunker is. You'll get used to it. This game also has equipment that can protect you from certain hazards (though falling is not one of them).

Q: Multiplayer?
A: Yep! Up to four people for local or online multiplayer! (Cross-play support currently unknown.)

Q: Does the Japanese physical release switch to English on a US system?
A: Unfortunately, no.

Q: Wait, is this some kinda Spelunky ripoff?
A: No.

Tips, tactics, and translations:

UI translation roundup: check out this Imgur album from PandarenNinja on Reddit for a full English rundown of all the menus and UI items in the game.
Items/Abilities/Mechanics Walkthrough: This video from me gives a quick but thorough overview of the equipment system and ability mechanics, as well as some other helpful information.
Walkthrough Video Pt.2: covers Doggie Digging and Quests
Quest & Item List: This is a Google doc listing all the quests, items (equipment names and ability effects, as well as where you can find the pieces of each item) in English and Japanese. Complete!

Let's start on another adventure!!

(Note: this is my first OT; I feel like I was pretty thorough, but let me know if I missed anything or made any mistakes!)

Tapejara

Great OT! I don't have a Switch yet, but I'm interested to hear how the game plays with the F2P elements removed. I didn't really enjoy the PS4 version as much as I did Spelunker HD, but with the F2P elements gone perhaps I'll end up sticking with it longer.

Also, lmao:

Q: Wait, is this some kinda Spelunky ripoff?
A: No.

Camjo-Z

The 60 FPS is a huge improvement over the PS4 version. I never spent a dime on Spelunker World (because it wasn't really necessary) but this is a Day 1 purchase if they localize it. I'm hesitant to go for a Japanese copy right now only because it took a whole 8 months for them to make a peep about bringing Spelunker Z to the west.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There is also a demo available. Glad there was...tried it and this game is not for me. Certainly not for the price they're asking.

Edited the OP to mention the demo and add a FAQ about whether the game is being localized!
I preordered a physical copy, so I've still got about 9 hours before I'll be able to play the game myself, the wait is kind of killing me haha.

Also, here's an archived broadcast of the dev team showing off the game a few hours ago, it shows off most of the features etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5B9YtUz4g

I really enjoyed the demo. Would love to pick this up, but with Puyo Puyo Tetris and MK8 coming out next week, I may hold off.

Definite buy in the future!

Tapejara

Edited the OP to mention the demo and add a FAQ about whether the game is being localized!
I preordered a physical copy, so I've still got about 9 hours before I'll be able to play the game myself, the wait is kind of killing me haha.

Also, here's an archived broadcast of the dev team showing off the game a few hours ago, it shows off most of the features etc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U5B9YtUz4g

Their response to the localization question is odd, considering the game was shown off in this Switch Line-Up Video by NoA.

Their response to the localization question is odd, considering the game was shown off in this Switch Line-Up Video by NoA.

Y'know, I never thought about it but that's a good point. I mean I am still holding out hope for an English release, but if I had to guess on that specific situation, I'd say they probably just used the same video for the US and Japan and didn't pay attention to whether all the games were coming out in both regions. (That same video was in the Japanese reveal, right?)

Tapejara

Y'know, I never thought about it but that's a good point. I mean I am still holding out hope for an English release, but if I had to guess on that specific situation, I'd say they probably just used the same video for the US and Japan and didn't pay attention to whether all the games were coming out in both regions. (That same video was in the Japanese reveal, right?)

Yeah, Nintendo played a similar trailer during the Switch reveal, but I'm not sure if they're the same video. I'd still wager on the game getting an English release though, Tozai should already have a translation done from working on the PS4 version. Here's hoping for a faster turnaround this time!

Eolz

Really good OT!
Really liked the game when I tried it on JP PSN until I hit the F2P monetization stuff, so this sounds good. Hopefully it'll be localized by S-E, but if that's not the case, I might get it once it's on sale.

Alpha_eX

Hyped for this game from the box art alone! Picking it up today hopefully, where would be the cheapest place to pick up in Japan? I'm here in travels so can get tax free.

Hyped for this game from the box art alone! Picking it up today hopefully, where would be the cheapest place to pick up in Japan? I'm here in travels so can get tax free.

Amazon.co.jp is technically the cheapest if you have somewhere to ship it to, but picking it up today pretty much any electronics or game store should have it and they should all be the same price! (4980 yen before tax)

Also finally got to pick up my copy, small note: the demo save data does not transfer unfortunately.

Edit: just discovered a big change from the PS4 version: abilities with the same effect DO stack now. On PS4 if you equipped say a hat and a backpack that both gave extra lives, only one would work and the other would be cancelled out, but it seems that they combine in this version.

Edit again with some more updates: Doggie Digging unlocks after you clear 1-5. I've 3-starred 10 stages and am at Level 11, but Quests haven't unlocked yet. I have to work now unfortunately but I'll post again when I know when Quests unlock! I've also started filling in Item information on the Google spreadsheet.

maxcriden

Awesome OT, thank you! For some reason I thought the game had procedurally generated levels but I guess not? Perhaps I was thinking of Spelunky.

I've really enjoyed the demo. I think I'll wait for the price to come down, though. Hopefully it will get a US release at some point but if not I might import it.

Kouriozan

Is this one of those game that need a miracle for it to be localized? Anyway let's hope.
So tempted to get it for local multiplayers goodness.

If I get a switch, I think I'll get this..

Still, I can't fathom why they follow up the excellent Spelunker HD, with this generic looking F2P game (Yes, I know they revamped that shit for the Switch version).

Camjo-Z

If I get a switch, I think I'll get this..

Still, I can't fathom why they follow up the excellent Spelunker HD, with this generic looking F2P game (Yes, I know they revamped that shit for the Switch version).

Honestly it looks a lot better than Spelunker HD, that game was so ugly I had to play the entire thing with retro graphics.

I didn't know there was an OT for this game! I loved the demo so I ordered a copy from Japan last night! I can't wait to sit down and play the full version

aechris

Any word on how to hit switches in single player? There's gotta be a way, right? I'm partway through world 2.

Edit: saw the document, 2-L, got it. :)

Alpha_eX

Just played this in the office with a few colleagues, absolutely in love it with. I've been playing single player up until now, which is still really fun but it truly shines with a few people huddled around.

The brutality and unforgivingness of it is a good thing, harsh but fair. Makes rewards sweeter and failures funnier.

Edit: Is there a way to get into a co-op online game with a friend via friends list or whatever? Not sure how to do that, but did get into some great online games with strangers. The emote system works really well, also, Parrots <3

XaosWolf

My physical copy came in yesterday. Played through most of the levels that were in the demo.

Looking forward to really digging into it on my night shift tomorrow. =D

This game is amazing. Like, I'm really, really enjoying this. It's so well suited to portable gamin'.

If anyone's on the fence, just go for it. There's no language barrier. Menus are easy to figure out, new techniques are explained with clear images during gameplay, and there's basically no story to worry about. Just pure platforming fun.

(Still, it'd be cool if SE bothered to announce a localisation eventually.)

Also dat case art <3

C-T3-vIXsAI9pr7.jpg

Spelunker is already my favourite Switch game so far (next to Zelda, naturally)

XaosWolf

Getting every item in this game is gonna kill me.

Made a beeline for the pet that helps with switches so I can collect things easier but I still have so many areas that need an ability I don't have yet.

I've been trying to translate some quest and item stuff as I go by the outlined font is playing havoc with my translator app. (That and it seeing numbers in everything)

The game is solid though. The lettered stages are no joke and deciding what gear to take adds that extra bit of strategy.

I really hope it gets localised so I can read what the hell the quests want me to do! =D

Getting every item in this game is gonna kill me.

Made a beeline for the pet that helps with switches so I can collect things easier but I still have so many areas that need an ability I don't have yet.

I've been trying to translate some quest and item stuff as I go by the outlined font is playing havoc with my translator app. (That and it seeing numbers in everything)

The game is solid though. The lettered stages are no joke and deciding what gear to take adds that extra bit of strategy.

I really hope it gets localised so I can read what the hell the quests want me to do! =D

You might want to check out the "Quests & Items" Google Doc linked in the OP ;)

Also I've progressed far enough to find out that there are just a couple stages in World 3 where you do need 2 people (or at least 2 controllers) to get one of the item orbs, i.e. one of them is a doggie digging spot you can't get to without having a switch pressed, etc. Easiest way to take care of those single player would be to go in with two players and the necessary pets, and then just kill the second player off once you grab the orb.

I am incredibly interested in this, but I'm holding out a bit to see if it's released in English. If there's no word in a couple months I'll probably get a physical copy.

It took a little while, but I've finally essentially 100% completed the game.
That also means the English info spreadsheet is completely done as far as I'm concerned; I might add story translations at some point if I feel like it but all the pertinent game information is there in English, so hopefully that'll help out anyone who needs it.

XaosWolf

That also means the English info spreadsheet is completely done as far as I'm concerned; I might add story translations at some point if I feel like it but all the pertinent game information is there in English, so hopefully that'll help out anyone who needs it.

Thanks for that. It is immensely helpful. =)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Giving up hope on the english release, thinking about caving and going for it from the JPN eShop.

Btw, I also noticed while browsing the jpn eShop that all the titles (digital ofc) I have previously bought from the Italian store with a different account are marked as purchased nonetheless, does that mean I'll be able to download the eventual eng release for "free" if I purchase the non-localized version?

Also, I won't have anybody to play this offline or online, how's the matchmaking with random players?
Is it feasible to beat and enjoy it fully in sp?

Portability and no microtransactions are essential to me, I have no interest in the PS4 version so please don't recommend that ;-)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damn, just finished the demo up on the JPN store and it was pretty meaty and definitely enough to give you a good idea of where the game is going and if you're gonna like it. This game is definitely my thing, even in sp (tho I can see it'd be super cool in mp, especially offline).
I urge anyone who might be interested in the concept, loot and quirky platformers to make a JPN account (took me 3 minutes, even easier than on PS4) and give it a go.
Btw, there's also a demo for DQH1+2 on the JPN eShop but I haven't tried that one yet.

Vinnk

Picked this up last week but finally had some time to did into it today. Fantastic game! My wife and I have really been enjoying the multi-player.

Control takes a little while to get down and to get used to the fact that bigger falls will kill you.

But this game, for me at least, is really is one of the hidden gems on the Switch that no one is talking about.

Tapejara

Oh cool, didn't know we were getting an eShop demo here. I pre-purchased the Steam version when the localization was announced, but I'll still check out the eShop demo (and hopefully convince a few friends to in the process!).

Seik

Banned
I have it since a couple of months since I imported the physical version on Ebay.

Awesome game, but it deserves the Weakest Ankles award. :lol

Oh cool, didn't know we were getting an eShop demo here. I pre-purchased the Steam version when the localization was announced, but I'll still check out the eShop demo (and hopefully convince a few friends to in the process!).

Is the free wallpaper literally just the title screen like it seems to be?

Tapejara

Is the free wallpaper literally just the title screen like it seems to be?

I honestly didn't even realize there was a free wallpaper until today. That's a pretty underwhelming pre-purchase offer, all things considered.

But, yeah, no idea. They didn't even post a picture of the wallpaper on the store page.

Well, that's one for my 'to buy' list.

this will be a great portable game. Like, even better than a usual good game, take some bite sized bits of frustration on the commute.

The demo is now available in, from what I checked, the Australian and Russian eShops, but not the US one yet. No matter what eShop you download it from it of course conforms to your system language.

On launch it has you choose a region? Presumably for online-related stuff?

The manual isn't ready yet lmao https://na.square-enix.com/spelunkerparty/manual/

Okay what the heck I think this is a time limited demo? It kicked me to the "thank you for playing" screen when i was just fiddling around in a menu and reset all my progress. Kinda crummy compared to the unlimited 8-level long demo Japan got...

Further edit: it's definitely on a timer, yep, seems like either 15 or 20 minutes I think. Clearing 1-5 also takes you to the "thank you for playing screen" like it does in the Japanese demo, but then wipes your progress just like the time-limit kick does. What was the point of adding this in, seriously?

d+pad

Thank you for everything you've done and shared here, SpeedBeatz!

Can you tell me/us if the game is beatable in single-player mode?

I love what I've played of both the JP and NA demos, but I'm not sure I'm up for buying it if multiplayer is *needed* to beat the game...

Thank you for everything you've done and shared here, SpeedBeatz!

Can you tell me/us if the game is beatable in single-player mode?

I love what I've played of both the JP and NA demos, but I'm not sure I'm up for buying it if multiplayer is *needed* to beat the game...
You can absolutely clear every stage and see 99% of the game's content without touching multiplayer at all.
If I remember correctly, there are I think 2 (maybe 3) collectibles which require multiple players to collect; I think they're noted on the Google Docs infosheet but if not I'll get them added in! It's a little tedious, but they're pretty easily gotten with one person playing with two controllers. There are also a couple of quests that require you to play multiplayer, but again easily knocked out with one person on two controllers.

Tizoc

Hope this goes up on Humblebundle.com. Will grab it on Steam when it's up so hopefully I can put time into it over the next couple of days.

Top Bottom