• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spelunker Party! |OT| Now With 100% More English

You can absolutely clear every stage and see 99% of the game's content without touching multiplayer at all.
If I remember correctly, there are I think 2 (maybe 3) collectibles which require multiple players to collect; I think they're noted on the Google Docs infosheet but if not I'll get them added in! It's a little tedious, but they're pretty easily gotten with one person playing with two controllers. There are also a couple of quests that require you to play multiplayer, but again easily knocked out with one person on two controllers.

Good. I'll pick this up when it gets it's English release.

Haunted

I didn't love the demo, graphics are meh, there's falling damage and no air control, everything felt very stiff and grid-like.

Not my cup of tea, sadly.

Tizoc

Oh neat Spelunker Party is on Humblebundle.com.
There isn't a sale price but you can get 10% off if you're a monthly subscriber

Tapejara

Oh neat Spelunker Party is on Humblebundle.com.
There isn't a sale price but you can get 10% off if you're a monthly subscriber

Hm, after conversion that would come out to about $2 cheaper than the Steam price in my currency, but I already pre-purchased on Steam so I'm not sure it'll be worth the hassle to refund it just for $2. I'm actually surprised there's no pre-purchase discount on Steam, that seems like such a standard thing for non-AAA titles these days.

Would live to get this game on PC as I'm a big fan of Spelunker. However, Denuvo plagues it...which is kind of baffling on such a niche title like this.

So yeah holding out until a deep sale on this unless it gets removed.

Tapejara

Would live to get this game on PC as I'm a big fan of Spelunker. However, Denuvo plagues it...which is kind of baffling on such a niche title like this.

So yeah holding out until a deep sale on this unless it gets removed.

Is Denuvo confirmed? I found this post that mentions it showing up in the EULA, but when I search the EULA myself I can't find any hits for "Sony" or "Denuvo." I mean, it's a Square Enix title so I don't doubt it's possible, but there's still no mention of it on the Steam page and I can't find it in the EULA anymore so I'm hoping that's a positive sign.

The game is now available for purchase and download from the eShop and online for the US region! Presumably other regions are also available now, or will be soon.

Tapejara

I'm sure most of the people in here are picking the game up on Switch, but just in case there's anyone curious about the PC version I have some early impressions:

- Rather barebones in terms of options. The only graphics settings are for resolution and a toggle between windowed and full screen.
- Doesn't seem to support resolutions beyond 1080p. The game only gave me five options to choose from: 1024x576, 1280x720, 1366x768, 1600x900, and 1920x1080p. Not a deal-breaker personally, but I know some people are probably interested in 4K and/or arbitrary resolution support.
- for some reason the game runs in Big Picture Mode even if you're running Steam in desktop mode. All of the notifications (achievements, screenshots) use the Big Picture UI, and the Steam Overlay is in BPM as well.

Overall a few odd choices, but nothing that I felt compromises the experience.

Edit: oh yeah, it's also one of those ports where the mouse cursor is always present on screen. Can always just flick the mouse to the side, but I can imagine it'll be annoying for Steam Link users.

OP says steam... Is it really coming to steam, and is it the f2p crappy thing or the morally superior everything is packaged into the purchase edition?

Tapejara

OP says steam... Is it really coming to steam, and is it the f2p crappy thing or the morally superior everything is packaged into the purchase edition?

It's a port of the Switch version, so no F2P elements to be found! And yeah, the Steam version is out now.

Is gold only used for sending Pooch out or should I be hoarding it for something else?

Just for Pooch; later Pooch maps (unlocked by finishing each world) do have better items, and also cost more for digs, so if you wanted you could hoard for the final couple maps and ignore the first few, but other than that you're good.

Blu(e)

Not many people playing it through co-op it seems. Haven't been able to get a co-op on steam and would like to get those co-op Litho stones

Looking forward to reading more impressions. I’m still on the fence, almost wish I didn’t order fire emblem warriors as I know I’ll enjoy this more anyway.

Unfortunately it's looking like cross-play most likely is not a feature. Not too surprising I suppose, since they probably would have advertised it if it was, but still kind of a bummer.

Blu(e)

Don't know if it's intentional, but I don't like how when it sometimes locks you in a action. Like when you have a bomb explode while you're walking, you'll continue to walk when it explodes. Sometimes it leads me to to walk off a ledge or walk into a enemy. This also happens when a flare goes off and or when you're walking through colored doors near a ledge. This is frustrating against the Dark Spelunker or on conveyor belts. I don't remember it being like that in Spelunker HD

I also don't like some items being stuck behind co-op. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in Spelunker HD they made specific co-op missions and solo missions were different. Meaning when I played solo I was able to grab everything rather than having to have a partner play and hold down a switch just so I can grab an item.

Other than that, It's still more Spelunker and I'm enjoying it.

BooJoh

Not many people playing it through co-op it seems. Haven't been able to get a co-op on steam and would like to get those co-op Litho stones

I looked for a co-op game on Switch for a little bit and then just ran through level 1-1 in local co-op by juggling two controllers. I don't think many people are playing online yet.

BizzyBum

I actually enjoyed the Japanese demo when I tried it even though it felt like a suped up mobile game. I would download the NA one but for $30? Ehhh... I'll hold off for now.

It's a port of the Switch version, so no F2P elements to be found! And yeah, the Steam version is out now.

Oh boy oh boy.. I've been asking for a steam version for years.. I prefer the style of Spelunker HD, but I will go in on this, as soon as I finish the other few games I've started.

Was looking at metacritic and found a bizaare review for this game: https://videochums.com/review/spelunker-party

It claims that the free-to-play model of Spelunker World was better because:

-microtransactions were optional in the original World release and if you felt guilty about playing the game for free you can pay for them
-the randomised loot in World was more exciting than a new system which has fixed-drops balanced for particular sections of the game
-the tacky marketing promotion events from World have been removed in Party

Bizaare. If there is any evidence that these new business models are programming people to accept them as a superior way of doing things this is it.

That the reviewer also claims that the randomised loot means you are at least playing online for a reason seems strange to me. That implies that Spelunker World itself was never any fun in its own right, and that randomised loot rewards were what made it compelling in the first place.

Again, it's just bizaare. I can definitely see where these points are coming from but I think it's the wrong analysis to make between the two games.

The points made about the technical aspects of the online implementation are good, though.

Top Bottom