• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESA: 37% of the most frequent US game buyers are female, gaming age breakdown

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
purchasingfquon.png

Source: http://essentialfacts.theesa.com/mobile/

Edit:

Also, 67% of parents play games with their children at least once a week:

parentss7u1k.png

Theswweet

This really doesn't say much without what type of games being broken down.

Edit: since this blew up a little, I want to stress I'm NOT trying to discount female gamers, and I apologize if this came across that way.

Solo Act

I'm surprised at the average gamer age more than anything. 1/3 of gamers being female is basically what I assumed it was.

Aeana

So what percent of females buying games are mom's buying games for their kids?
What percentage are dads buying for their kids? Or are you only interested in being certain that the female percentage of Actual Game Players is lower than reported?

jonno394

I don't get the "average gamers by age group" charts, especially as the percentages don't add up to 100% either way you look at it. I could just be misinterpreting it.

Lister

Banned
"Employees in the industry earned an average of $97,000 a year."

Must be those corporate fat cats skewing the mean. A median might be more useful here.

Theswweet

I'm not trying to say girls aren't a significant part of the market, I'm just curious what the ESA counts as buying a game. Do IAP count? If you seriously think 50+ grandmas are (regularly) buying stuff like CoD you're delusional. I just want to know what the breakdown is. Of course, that's much harder to gauge.

FyreWulff

I don't get the "average gamers by age group" charts, especially as the percentages don't add up to 100% either way you look at it. I could just be misinterpreting it.

both sides add up to 100% together (well, technically 101%, but they obviously rounded), the circle graphs are showing the split for gender.

When you compare price of games to Blu-Rays or movie tickets that value breakdown really doesn't surprise me. I have paid for like 60€ for all of Civilization V content I have and have played it for 1100h. I just bought Persona 5 for 60€ but played it for 85h. Still under 1€/h value. Movie tickets cost nowadays like 12€ and movie takes two hours by average. Horrible value.

Sesha

What percentage are dads buying for their kids? Or are you only interested in being certain that the female percentage of Actual Game Players is lower than reported?

The latter, I assume. I've noticed a bunch of similar sentiments in regards to the topic before. Seems to be a common sentiment among the GG/v/Kotaku in Action groups.

Cleve

Average age on both sexes always surprises me, but I guess it shouldn't at this point. Income has a lot to do with that.

What does seem crazy is the 32% that buy after playing a demo. What still gets demos these days?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Must be those corporate fat cats skewing the mean. A median might be more useful here.

That sounds about right for developers, though - in terms of what a national average salary would be.

This is always nice to hear. I do like to think that we've learned from the way too frequent cases of sexism and racism in the games industry and are now a more inclusive community for all genders, creeds and sexual orientations.

As someone who works for a major retailer whose clientele skews more female than male this actually doesn't surprise me.

I fairly recently started working there and I was shocked how many women buy games there for themselves in comparison to a company I worked for previously. There are a ton of "core" female gamers out there but they don't necessarily skew towards the places you expect "hardcore" gamers to visit

Sloane

Banned
Some of those numbers definitely are surprising to me. The most frequent purchaser is 36? That goes against anything I've experienced myself -- which doesn't necessarily mean anything obviously but still, not what I would have expected considering time constraints and whatnot.

jonno394

I hope i'm still gaming well in to my 50's, will be interesting to see how the figures change over the years. Kids born around the start of the NES era are in their thirtys now (likely why the average gamer age is mid 30's) and I envisage those still playing in to their 30s will be playing in to their 50s as well.

LordofPwn

Keep in mind that a lot of employees live in expensive areas. so cost of living and all that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Some of those numbers definitely are surprising to me. The most frequent purchaser is 36? That goes against anything I've experienced myself -- which doesn't necessarily mean anything obviously but still, not what I would have expected considering time constraints and whatnot.

Younger children often only get a few games per year due to income limitations.

Well, these days they get a zillion free mobile apps, but those aren't purchases.

Velkyn

It's really, really cool to see how women are, at most, 7% behind men playing videogames in every age group.

Also, 30% digital isn't as big as a market share as I was expecting, seems like physical media will be around for a while yet.

redcrayon

Those of us in our late thirties buy lots of games, we just don't have time to play them :D

There's probably something in that we're the people still used to the industry model of the £40 game, as opposed to younger players growing up on FTP mobile/online/service games. I certainly would have played those if they'd been around when I was a nipper in the 80s.

On top of that, lots of the most popular AAA games are 18-rated- that will also push the average age of purchaser up by setting that as a minimum for a lot of titles.

Kilau

35 is a nice age, a bit younger than I am but it seems most people stay gaming rather than give it up.

LordofPwn

It's really, really cool to see how women are, at most, 7% behind men playing videogames in every age group.

Also, 30% digital isn't as big as a market share as I was expecting, seems like physical media will be around for a while yet.

it was at around 20% a year or two ago. Internet infrastructure is still bad or limited for most of NA.

Cleve

As someone who works for a major retailer whose clientele skews more female than male this actually doesn't surprise me.

I fairly recently started working there and I was shocked how many women buy games there for themselves in comparison to a company I worked for previously. There are a ton of "core" female gamers out there but they don't necessarily skew towards the places you expect "hardcore" gamers to visit

Interesting. I get that you don't want to disclose your employment history, but are you in more of a big box store now as opposed to a specialty gaming store? I imagine stuff like that varies a lot from location to location, but I find this stuff fascinating.

From my own anecdotal experience, the local mom and pop shop skewed way more female & older than the gamestop.

Sesha

30% of the most frequent gamers.

Yeah... that's definitely got to be skewed by the executives making mid to upper six figures (or more). Because, personally, I worked in AAA development in LA and SF (two of the three highest paying locations) for quite a long time and I only started to get close to the average after I had a Lead title for over a year (there were also people on the the team with my exact title making $55k because... reasons).

And of the 200+ people on the team, there were only maybe a 20-or-so people at or above my own pay scale that were actual developers and not corporate suits.

It's also highly dependent on job title. Programmers are definitely hitting upper five, low six figures pretty easily, but designers and artists are usually way below that. It's pretty common for the Salary Survey to come out and everyone in the office wonder who the fuck is making all this money, because it certainly isn't us - this was true at five different studios across four different publishers.

Anecdotally, the annual Salary Survey has skewed about 10-15% higher than I have actually experience in the industry. Which makes sense when you consider that the survey itself tends to skew slightly towards start-ups (who pay more to acquire talent) and people with higher salaries - because both of which are more likely to share salary information than established studios or average-pay developers.

Lister

Banned
That sounds about right for developers, though - in terms of what a national average salary would be.

"Developers" Is a very broad term. It cna mean the lead engineer with a lot of experience in charge of making sure your engine's 3D rendere is well optimized and using latest technology and it could mean a Q&A guy playing the game looking for bugs, or could mean a 3D artist creaitng a model, or a junior programmer writing ascript for a trap on a game's level, or the game's director.

Top Bottom