• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inkling Boy & Girl are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it just occurred to me that the darker skinned Inkling Boy and Girl variants are the first black non-Mii characters in Mario Kart.
5M65fdth.jpg
Unfortunately they're not the default skins, and it's still kind of sad it took this long, but hopefully this is a step forward for the series, which features a huge amount of humanoid characters who are pretty much all white.

Ivan 3414

Are some of them Asian? I've been told on GAF that anime characters are generally Japanese unless stated otherwise; I'm guessing that logic extends to video game characters as well

Edit: To clarify, was responding to the OP saying the entire cast being almost all white, not just the Inklings

Damn Mr. Game and Watch not even good enough to get into Mario Kart. These cool new squid kids come along and get invited right away lol

Yeah it's really cool. There aren't exactly many human characters in the Mario series to begin with and it's very rare that they add new characters, that being said I hope future games are a little more diverse. Inkling Girl is my Mario Kart main.

dawgparty

Pretty big deal, actually.

Why do people always have to step in to these threads to tell people that they don't care? We get it you're probably white.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There was a thread about this complaint 3 years ago, wasn't there? Or am I going crazy?
There was a thread about Mario characters in general lacking black characters, altho it was also a debate if Mario characters can even be considered human(which is now made worse by Mario oddessy) and another thread on animal crossing

Wasn't this a polemic thread back when Mario Kart 8 was released? I always read these kind of threads like it's MK8's fault, when it's only a compilation of a variety of Nintendo characters (90% Mario specific characters)
There was a thread about it iirc. It also cropped up during IGN's April fools video where they had Donkey Kong in a Rasta hat.

But yes, it's less Mario Kart's fault and more the Mario series as a whole.

Wasn't this a polemic thread back when Mario Kart 8 was released? I always read these kind of threads like it's MK8's fault, when it's only a compilation of a variety of Nintendo characters (90% Mario specific characters)

You don't think, for a single second, that maybe the fact that there aren't any black characters in the Mario universe for Nintendo to pull from is, in fact, the thing people are upset about?

Good. As avatars in their game, they had too much customization not have appearance choices in MK.

Why do people always have to step in to these threads to tell people that they don't care? We get it you're probably white.

Because they think the world revolves around their individual selves

Or live somewhere where they are the majority population.

Are some of them Asian? I've been told on GAF that anime characters are generally Japanese unless stated otherwise; I'm guessing that logic extends to video game characters as well

Thread already going down the shitter.

It's indicative of a step in the right direction for Nintendo and representation, but it's a shame that the Inklings are still default-white. At least the Splatoon 2 Inkling girl amiibo has slightly darker skin?

STGHMAAV

Banned
You don't think, for a single second, that maybe the fact that there aren't any black characters in the Mario universe for Nintendo to pull from is, in fact, the thing people are upset about?

I think that, but the thing is that it's not Mario Kart's fault, it's (for example) Mario Odissey's fault, games where they create new characters, what I meant is that this kind of threads, only appear with compilation games like Mario Kart or Smash (or at least that I see), where they don't create new characters.

NSESN

Is Splatoon the most inclusive IP of Nintendo? Female Inklings aways in the front, and black inklings too.

MTC100

Banned

Anime Characters are mostly what Japenese think they would want to look like with their immense big eyes, there are only a few Anime that opt for a more realistic approach. So Anime Characters are some kind of a very specific half breed between Caucasian(eyes) and Asian(faces).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom