• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BostonGAF: Places to go?

• Thread starter Deleted member 80556
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hey BostonGAF, I'm going to travel to Boston for 3 weeks to visit relatives in late May and was wondering what places I should visit.

I'm already planning to do the Freedom Trail, Museum of Science, the JFK Presidential Museum, the MIT Museum, and... That's it!

I literally don't know where else to go, so I was hoping to get tips from you guys from Boston. I want to know about places like restaurants, museums, cultural places, etc. Wherever you guys think it's worthy for a visit. I have 3 weeks, so I've got time!

Also, I've got a big list of books I want to get, so I wanted to ask for a good place to purchase them. Also a barber shop, to get some nice shaving stuff.

Arc

L Street Tavern in Southie for some Good Will Hunting pub food. Don't try and drive, you won't find parking.

North End is great to explore, but most of the restaurants there are overpriced tourist traps so use Yelp.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestion guys. BTW, I'm not from the USA, so I'll take recommendations from places that aren't unique to Boston.

Amory

Are you bothering to rent a car so you can go to other towns in the area? If so, There's some really nice towns less than an hour outside the city.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Are you bothering to rent a car so you can go to other towns in the area? If so, There's some really nice towns less than an hour outside the city.

I'm not really renting a car, however, since I'm staying at a relative's, I guess I'll be able to go to places other than city.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Brotherhood of Steel Headquarters.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Get to Revere and get a hot roast beef at Kelly's or Beachmont

Oof, yes. I want to eat at a BBQ somewhere. GAF has made me want to eat at one for years. It's time for me to get something like that.

Davide

I'm not from Boston but I've visited several times.

You have to go to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Definitely one of the best museums, it's huge. There's also the New England aquarium, if you go at the right time there's whale watching on a cruise. Outside of Boston there's the town of Lexington which has some history and nice food.

If you're willing to go a ways away Portsmouth is a small but really unique town on the ocean with great fish and chips.

Try a burrito from Anna's Taqueria and one from Boca Grande and let us know which one you like better.

Go see a band play at the Middle East, the Paradise, or the Brighton Music Hall (but avoid the House of Blues because it kind of sucks).

Edit: completely spaced on the Red Room at Cafe 939 which is also a great venue.

Oof, yes. I want to eat at a BBQ somewhere. GAF has made me want to eat at one for years. It's time for me to get something like that.

Well that's not the place for that. Boston isn't exactly known for BBQ, though there's some decent places in the area, like Blue Ribbon, Red Bones, etc.

Try a burrito from Anna's Taqueria and one from Boca Grande and let us know which one you like better.

Go see a band play at the Middle East, the Paradise, or the Brighton Music Hall (but avoid the House of Blues because it kind of sucks).

Edit: completely spaced on the Red Room at Cafe 939 which is also a great venue.

The Sinclair has the best sound IMO and gets good acts, but it's a bit more modern and lacks the history of a place like the Middle East or The Paradise. It's also right in Harvard Square, which they should absolutely go to. Also Great Scott is a good intimate venue that seems to punch above their weight for booking.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, I've got a huge list for restaurants now, thanks guys.

Thanks for the suggestions on streets with shops, I've seen libraries on a couple of those streets! Any good barber shop where I can get a double edge razor or something?

Get on the I95, go south for about 200 miles.

You're welcome.

Do tell! What is there?

TyrantII

Get to Revere and get a hot roast beef at Kelly's or Beachmont

That's a trip (car or blue line subway), but worth it. Alternatively if you're in Southie for L street tavern head down east broadway to Castle Island / The Sugar Bowl. Fort Independence is there, a nice park to walk around and you can grab food or ice cream at Sullivan's (a local fav).

Al Dente for a nice legit Italian Dinner in the North End. Everyone loves Mike's Pastries for desert.

Green Dragon is one of the oldest pubs in Boston, the revolutionaries met in the basement and got drunk while planning seditions. Next door is Union Oyster house; grab a cup of Boston clam chow'dah. For more of a seafood menu, Barking Crab is nice when the weather is nice.

Catch a Sox game. If you don't, get a tour and then grab a beer at bleacher bar.

Harpoon and Sam Adams both give brewery tours. Trillium sells pours and Mystic Brewery and Dorchester Brewing Co have taprooms.

New England aquarium is unique. Boston Library is one of the oldest in the union, and it's awesome. Boston Symphony Orchastra might be playing, alternatively I think they give tours. USS Constitution is along the freedom trails, buts she's in dry dock atm for a refit.

Catch a old 35mm movie at the Brattle theater in Harvard square.

Sunset bar and grill for food and their HUGE beer selection. White horse next door for sports.

Quick local eats: Viga Italian Eatery, Boloco, UBurger, Rico's Pizzaria, KO Pies, Rondo's Sub Shop, Anna's Taqueria, the Dunkin Donuts on ever freaking corner.

Don't go in cheers, it's a tourist trap.

Charles Street is what Newbury Street used to be (quaint shopping district)

The Papa Gino's in Brockton.

Oh, that too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Sooooo many places, I almost want to stay more time haha. Thanks a lot guys.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Checking on Brattle Theater is killing me. I can't believe that 5 days before I go they are screening Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and even throw a pre-season Twin Peaks party! ARGH.

I honestly wished we had theaters like that here in Colombia.

Checking on Brattle Theater is killing me. I can't believe that 5 days before I go they are screening Mulholland Drive, Eraserhead and even throw a pre-season Twin Peaks party! ARGH.

I honestly wished we had theaters like that here in Colombia.
There's also the Coolidge theatre and Somerville theatre that you might want to check out.

Wag

Well that's not the place for that. Boston isn't exactly known for BBQ, though there's some decent places in the area, like Blue Ribbon, Red Bones, etc.

Red Bones is good for BBQ- if you go make sure to have the succotash. There's some great restaurants on Moody St in Waltham.

I've visited Boston a few times in the last year or so, but haven't had much time for non-work activities. If I get a chance to return with some time, I really want to see the Mapparium and, of course, Fenway (although I think I'd actually want to go on a non-game day and take a tour.)

Food-wise, I've mainly just been to expense account restaurants: Pomodoro, Teatro, Aragosta, all of which I'd recommend if money isn't a concern. But I have been to a couple of more reasonable places I liked: Mast (Italian,) Sam LaGrassa's (sandwiches,) Fajita's and Ritas (for the margaritas only though,) and Post 390. I guess Mike's Pastries is a required tourist stop, I was recommended another shop for better, non-tourist cannolis, but can't remember for the life of me what it was called. I would NOT recommend Carry Nation or Emmets, both on Beacon Street north of the Commons.

TyrantII

Oh, and most of us are not assholes. We're friendly. Just culturally introverted, we don't want to bother.

If you need something or are lost, just ask. We just wait for you to start up the conversation.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Money is a bit of a concern, but thanks nonetheless.

There's also the Coolidge theatre and Somerville theatre that you might want to check out.

Checked them out, and unfortunately also have the classic functions a bit late or out of my traveling schedule. (Would love to watch some of these on the big screen, damn this is awesome).

Oh, and most of us are not assholes. We're friendly. Just culturally introverted, we don't want to bother.

If you need something or are lost, just ask. We just wait for you to start up the conversation.

Totally man! I've never had that impression. One of my aunts married a Boston guy, and he's pretty awesome.

New York City.

An actual destination to explore and where I grew up. :p

In the US, New Yorkers generally dislike Boston

Don't know why I knew this was going to be the answer. haha I'll go to NYC for a day. Too expensive for me right now, unfortunately. But I hope to go again at one point in my life again (that sounds depressing).

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Bostonians and New Yorkers seem to hate each other in the same way people from Bogotans and people from Medellin hate each other.

It's all in good faith though.

I've lived just 15 minutes outside of Boston all my life but I always suggest to anyone visiting a week or more(with a car) to take day trips to Portsmouth New Hampshire or Newport Rhode Island or Provincetown in Cape Cod. Love Boston but one of the best parts of it is its proximity to other great spots to visit.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
And vice-versa.
(And many other people in the US dislike New Yorkers as well)

Like crips and blood.

But I'm in Florida now aka Newer York.

Bostonians and New Yorkers seem to hate each other in the same way people from Bogotans and people from Medellin hate each other.

It's all in good faith though.

That's actually a really good analogy. Spot on.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Boston is the only place where I tell people I'm from New Jersey instead of from New York. The only time that is better.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Where do the Latin Kings fit into things?

And, congrats on becoming Florida Man. Always look forward to stories in the news.

Florida stories make the news because journalists have access to all county arrest records, so they look for the craziest shit and run with it here.

If you only knew the kinds of things that go on in NYC, though. I have a lot of friends in the NYPD and the stories they tell are fascinating and disturbing.

Cyanity

Banned
Make sure to hit up Union Square Donuts in Somerville some morning for the best donuts you'll ever have. They're all amazing. Trust me. Then, while you're there, take a walk over to the Taza chocolate factory less than a mile away and do a factory tour. The tours are incredibly cheap and they basically feed you awesome authentic mexican mill-ground chocolate the entire time.

Later in the day, you should check out Santouka in Harvard Square for some of the best ramen in Boston. And if you want a neat little place mostly only locals know about that does karaoke and stuff, there's this place in Harvard Square called Charlie's Kitchen you can go to. There's an upstairs that isn't marked as a continuation of the bar downstairs, but you want to be up there. They have a great selection of reasonably priced beer and are constantly hosting trivia and karaoke nights. Good place to wind down at the end of the day before goinf back to the hotel.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, chocolate and ramen, and apparently donuts with bacon on top... Hmmm.

I almost feel like I'm going on a restaurant tour. But everything looks so fucking good. Thanks for the suggestions!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
For the love of God please go to Giacomo's Ristorante on Hanover St. My favorite Italian restaurant of all time.

I'm a big fan of Italian food, so I'm totally going to whatever Italian restaurant people suggest me. The pictures in Yelp of Giacomo's look incredible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom