• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has changed my mind about HD Rumble

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me. Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

I've read some people say that they don't really feel it or notice it. I grant it's a little weak. That's why split joy-con no straps and a semi tight grip are the best.

The rumbles and the motions are very thoughtful and make the game feel visceral.
Add some weed for even more of that feeling.

HD Rumble is incredibly overrated and Mario Kart has done nothing to change my mind so far. It's still an incredibly crude form of feedback that's only slightly more nuanced than before

Was in bed with the game last night and wanted to laze around arms free so I finally took the joycons out to play and my world was completely changed. I haven't been able to experience HD Rumble until then and yeah I immediately felt it. Crazy how it feels so precise in your hands.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So what does it do other than you know, positional rumble with linear actuators instead of just vibration?

I don't see how this is in any way a big deal for a game like Mario Kart. But I could see it when you're high as a kite or something. Pencil tip erasers also feel miraculous when you're high, that doesn't mean they are all that special.

Poeton

I could really feel it in the pro controller. A good example is when I got hit by lightning, I would say it felt like the lightining sounded.

Regiruler

The joycon rumble feels way too jittery for me. I was hoping for something deeper like the xbox 360 controller (the sensation when you start DMC4 on PC is so good).

I guess it doesn't feel as bad as the Wii U gamepad's rumble?

Forkball

What do I have to do to unlock Thanos?

But seriously, is the rumble the same as in handheld mode? It didn't seem super impressive, but not a hindrance.

bud

look man, yes, she's your partner, but so what? you don't own her. whatever she decides to do with her body and whomever she decides to fuck, it's not your concern.

it's none of your business.

Hoo-doo

Banned
look man, whatever she decides to do with her body and whomever she decides to fuck, it's not up to you.

yes, she's your partner, but so what? you don't own her.

it's none of your business.

Now i'm suddenly curious how you and your partner use those Joy-cons.

sirap

I thought it was okay. Nothing mind-blowing and it doesn't really add much to the racing experience.

Comes nowhere close to the force feedback on my Thrustmaster.

Off topic trying to be Gaming side so bad lol. If you can't beat them...

But that sounds good, OP. Do the Pro Controllers have HD rumble?

Dynomutt

It should be illegal to use the term HD outside of direct visual/video involvement. The term HD no longer means anything.

I saw Swiffer HD in the market the other day. High Definition Swiffer what the fuck....

Puyo Puyo Tetris does a better job with HD rumble. When your clearing those blocks you fuckin feel it and get excited to clear more blocks.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yuuuuuuup!

But I haven't tried 1 2 Switch yet. And I can't bring myself to pay for it.

Ditto. I bought Mario Kart deluxe yesterday and I already own mk8 so the nearly $70 with tax was sticker shock but not as much as $40 for puyo Tetris etc.

Most of the bargains are $8 neo geo roms.

I'm a believer now that I've experience HD Rumble. Some impressive stuff, and it probably helped that I was rolling by the time I turned the system on yesterday.

Pastry

Banned
I've tried multiple games with HD rumble and been prettt unimpressed with it for the most part. I'll try and focus a little more on it the hex You mK8 round I play.

sheaaaa

I fucking love my Switch. But I don't get HD rumble at all. Don't feel a difference while playing and it's nothing worth even mentioning.

So the two controllers apart are more HD rumble than the pro controller? I tried it with pro and it seems like just a louder rumble. Ill try uHD rumble later with the separate controllers.

Top Bottom