• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth | Review Thread

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
Kenan Thompson Yes GIF by Paramount+

Dorfdad

Gold Member
At the risk of sounding like a complete n00b can I ask what the difference is with this game and the other version they been releasing?

I bought remake, integrade, is this a different version or the complete version? I’m lost

Madflavor

At the risk of sounding like a complete n00b can I ask what the difference is with this game and the other version they been releasing?

I bought remake, integrade, is this a different version or the complete version? I’m lost

Remake is the 2020 release of Part 1 of the FFVII Remake Trilogy.
Intergrade is the name of the PS5 version of Remake.
Rebirth is Part 2 of the FFVII Remake Trilogy.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Let’s be real if Sony purchased Square and had their way then well… See the “beautiful” ladies of Horizon, Spider-Man 2, and of course Last of Us 2.

So do your part everyone and buy this game so they can keep their freedom for as long as possible. Before anyone responds with Stellar Blade, no they aren’t a PlayStation studio and it’s just published by them.
Yeah... people thinking this is a xbox problem probably never played Horizon:FW or any newer western sony game... the woman in the picture still has boobs showing in a cleavage .. thats like 100 red signs on sonys california Hq. No big FEMALE characteristics allowed! Keep it at a minimum. Lets go.

FeralEcho

Been reading the review summaries on metacritic and oh man I'm so hyped for this thing...Nothing but praise for the story,world,soundtrack and characters,the only complaints I've seen mentioned were about some graphical issues in places by a couple reviews(Performance mode I assume) and pacing issues and some side activities not being as engaging.

Seeing so many "GOTY material" and "One of the best JRPGs ever made" statements really makes one giddy...

Square Enix been cooking here!

Animated GIF

Nickolaidas

Been reading the review summaries on metacritic and oh man I'm so hyped for this thing...Nothing but praise for the story,world,soundtrack and characters,the only complaints I've seen mentioned were about some graphical issues in places by a couple reviews(Performance mode I assume) and pacing issues and some side activities not being as engaging.

Seeing so many "GOTY material" and "One of the best JRPGs ever made" statements really makes one giddy...

Animated GIF
There are a couple of reviewers who call it 'just good', but it's understandable - you CAN'T please everyone. Also, way I hear it, the ending of this one as well is also going to be controversial.

saintjules

Animated GIF

Have you checked out any negative reviews? Always good to set expectations. I'm still excited for the game of course but good to hear other thoughts.

9:28.

Last edited:

saintjules

That's good advice, I'll check them out.

Definitely. And the reason I say this is because for example in the Kinda Funny video, Tim seemingly blindly gives the game a 5/5. And this is when we are seeing issues specifically in performance like pop in and blurriness for example. It goes to show nothing is perfect. Which is also why I don't care for numbered systems like metacritic.

You would then ask yourself out of 100% how much of that percentage number went to story, to combat, to side quests, etc. It's never listed in that fashion. And even if they were, what do those numbers even mean?

ACG definitely provides valid reasons as to the game not being perfect and cites proper pros and cons to justify properly, which I'd love to see be the norm in future reviews.

Again, definitely excited but listening to thoughts always puts me in check haha.

Last edited:

Flabagast

Definitely. And the reason I say this is because for example in the Kinda Funny video, Tim seemingly blindly gives the game a 5/5. And this is when we are seeing issues specifically in performance like pop in, blurriness and pop in for example. It goes to show nothing is perfect. Which is also why I don't care for numbered systems like metacritic.

You would then ask yourself out of 100% how much of that percentage number went to story, to combat, to side quests, etc. It's never listed in that fashion. And even if they were, what do those numbers even mean?

ACG definitely provides valid reasons as to the game not being perfect and cites proper pros and cons to justify properly, which I'd love to see be the norm in future reviews.

Again, definitely excited but listening to thoughts always puts me in check haha.
What are the cons that the reviews cite ?

CosmicComet

This shows me why naming it Rebirth instead of a clear cut 'Part 2' was a mistake.

There are plenty of other people like yourself that wont know it's part 2 and just assume it's a remaster or goty edition and opt out of buying it.

Last edited:

Isa

Definitely. And the reason I say this is because for example in the Kinda Funny video, Tim seemingly blindly gives the game a 5/5. And this is when we are seeing issues specifically in performance like pop in, blurriness and pop in for example. It goes to show nothing is perfect. Which is also why I don't care for numbered systems like metacritic.

I get what you're saying but I don't think Tim blindly gave his score. After listening for a good 10 minutes he agrees with the critiques the others said but stated that for him as a fan of the characters and game, he loved all the work put into the game, adding more content and how it all culminated in the finished product. For some, like Danjin and myself gfx complaints often don't get in the way of our enjoyment.

I also agree about the numbered metrics and prefer more simple opinionated reviews like ACG does. People get too hung up on other's opinions whether or not they share the same preferences of those people while also often trapping themselves in a sort of bubble where they might not ever try a game due to score.

I get what you're saying but I don't think Tim blindly gave his score. After listening for a good 10 minutes he agrees with the critiques the others said but stated that for him as a fan of the characters and game, he loved all the work put into the game, adding more content and how it all culminated in the finished product. For some, like Danjin and myself gfx complaints often don't get in the way of our enjoyment.

I also agree about the numbered metrics and prefer more simple opinionated reviews like ACG does. People get too hung up on other's opinions whether or not they share the same preferences of those people while also often trapping themselves in a sort of bubble where they might not ever try a game due to score.

No matter how objective people attempt to by, a review will always have a part of it that's subjective. And to the reader, it's extremely subjective - that's a good thing. Reviews can be helpful, they convey important information to the consumer and a score can be helpful as a process to weed out extremely bad games, or pique your interest and introduce to you to something you otherwise may not have paid attention to.

The most important thing people should consider is how they developed their teste in games as a child. I bet you played a bunch of stinkers, but there were probably a bunch of games that you loved that did not do well critically, and those have a cult following. I bet some of these are among their favorites too. If we all just played the big, well reviewed games with mass appeal, it would be quite boring.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

People just put too much weight on"scores" alone....Reviews are nothing more than someone else opinion and sometimes what bothers them might not bother you and vice versa.

For me the reason I'm excited for this game because I enjoyed the Remake and enjoyed what I played in Rebirth demo and like you said, graphic imperfection doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the game.

Isa

No matter how objective people attempt to by, a review will always have a part of it that's subjective. And to the reader, it's extremely subjective - that's a good thing. Reviews can be helpful, they convey important information to the consumer and a score can be helpful as a process to weed out extremely bad games, or pique your interest and introduce to you to something you otherwise may not have paid attention to.

The most important thing people should consider is how they developed their teste in games as a child. I bet you played a bunch of stinkers, but there were probably a bunch of games that you loved that did not do well critically, and those have a cult following. I bet some of these are among their favorites too. If we all just played the big, well reviewed games with mass appeal, it would be quite boring.
I get you and in the past I used to use reviews but honestly I don't anymore. I see the value for others but I know my own tastes well enough and genres and the industry overall that I pay no heed. As you mentioned I've played a few duds to others but were good fun but those unfair reviews only seemed to steer people away rather than properly inform since like with media headlines and such most seem to only ever gloss over the big print or bottom line and pay no heed to the nuance.

I just wish people would gather as much info as possible, try to form their own opinions, and take everything with a grain of salt. It seems like instead of just enjoying the games for themselves more buzz is generated over scores and GoTY status than the game itself.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I get you and in the past I used to use reviews but honestly I don't anymore. I see the value for others but I know my own tastes well enough and genres and the industry overall that I pay no heed. As you mentioned I've played a few duds to others but were good fun but those unfair reviews only seemed to steer people away rather than properly inform since like with media headlines and such most seem to only ever gloss over the big print or bottom line and pay no heed to the nuance.

I just wish people would gather as much info as possible, try to form their own opinions, and take everything with a grain of salt. It seems like instead of just enjoying the games for themselves more buzz is generated over scores and GoTY status than the game itself.
Exactly same for me, I trust my own taste.....I played games long enough to know what I enjoy and what I dont regardless review scores.

Interesting to contrast this and Final Fantasy 16

Seems like Rebirth takes a more conventional road, and was praised quite a bit more for it:

• Combat that engages all party members
  • A focus on customization and depth of items/skills
  • Side content that is more diverse, fleshed out, and fun to engage in (versus just being a fetch quest for story)
  • A more grand open world rather than confined linear spaces for combat
All that being said, I do hold a lot of love for FF16 thanks to its mature tone. Would love to see a game like FF16 that had the framework of FF: Rebirth, and also one that STAYED consistently grounded in the game of thrones style.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I beat Remake a few years ago and it's still so confusing. Need to do a good recap of the events.

I can probably beat it again quickly in easy mode as I'm level 50

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Yeah Rebirth finally clicked and I'd rate its combat above Remake now.

For instance the air combat. You can evade, then press attack to hit airborne enemies with Cloud but you can hold attack after evade to launch yourself and then combo in the air and even some skills like the fire and bolt blade or w/e is very good while airborne and from the ground it indeed launches enemies.

You can also choose to stay on the ground, its not like Remake that just decided to do things for you. With defensive synergy attacks Cloud can launch Tifa for example which doesn't cost meter whatsoever.

If you use various characters, and use up 2 ATB or more on at least 2 of them, you get these tag specials which are free and even give you a temp buff I think so there is good reason to switch during battle now. The benched characters can also do a synergy attack. Not sure how it procs though.

Intergrade sort of had tag attacks with Yuffie, and perfect block. They added this to everyone in Rebirth and expanded on it.

Seems like Rebirth takes a more conventional road, and was praised quite a bit more for it:

• Side content that is more diverse, fleshed out, and fun to engage in (versus just being a fetch quest for story)
All that being said, I do hold a lot of love for FF16 thanks to its mature tone. Would love to see a game like FF16 that had the framework of FF: Rebirth, and also one that STAYED consistently grounded in the game of thrones style.

I prefer XVI's art direction as well. But sadly everything else is severely lacking. Even compared to Remake which did offer customization, weaknesses and various gear with pros and cons.

XVI deliberately stayed away from anything that could've been remotely difficult to grasp. But the worst offender is how it funnels you into fetch quests to advance the main story that to be honest takes a huge nosedive fairly soon after the demo.

I still have to beat the final part of the game, but I just dislike everything about it except for its said mature approach.

Last edited:

TheMan

Man, I put the first remake down for quite some time and I'm struggling to find motivation to finish. Just started chapter 15 so I'm inching towards the end, but I just dont' think i'll get it done before Rebirth launches.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Man, I put the first remake down for quite some time and I'm struggling to find motivation to finish. Just started chapter 15 so I'm inching towards the end, but I just dont' think i'll get it done before Rebirth launches.
If it helps, the final battle feels straight out of Advent Children.

Gamerguy84

I'm a huge FF7 fan and I liked it but I didn't find it great. I was never a huge fan of the Midgar section. For me it was always disc 2 and 3.

Definitely. And the reason I say this is because for example in the Kinda Funny video, Tim seemingly blindly gives the game a 5/5. And this is when we are seeing issues specifically in performance like pop in and blurriness for example. It goes to show nothing is perfect. Which is also why I don't care for numbered systems like metacritic.

Acg and fighting cowboy are the best reviewers out thers rn ...skill up is good but i find him too flowery sometimes ..very well spoken tho

Obviously as all of that are basically Fintal Fantasy main features. FF16 was a Devil May Cry Spinoff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom