• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pulling the trigger on a Scorpio Ready TV Early

Gowans

I have a 60" 1080p Samsung that is 3.5 years old, out of warranty and starting to reset randomly.

I was waiting to near Scorpio release to pick up a 4K TV for the best deal possible but as this one is starting to die it looks like I'll need to pick up a new TV in the next couple of weeks and move this one to another room for occasional use.

It's going to be used 50% of the time for gaming, needs low input lag and be 65".

I had down two options as:

- LG OLED65B6V - £2,600
- Samsung KS8000 UE65KS8000 - £1,500

Am I better getting a cheaper one and upgrading to OLED later when Variable Frame Rate comes into TVs?

Any other options? or thinks to force a longer wait?

Gowans

Why not wait for variable frame rate TVs at the end of the year?

My TVs on it's way out in the next couple of weeks, it's resetting so need a new one now unfortunately.

My mind at the moment is to go for the KS8000 as a really good mid price TV and I can upgrade in a few years, unless there is another option.

I was really wanting to wait a few more months to save another few hundred quid as the prices go do over the year but its not happening now.

Noctilum

I can't recommend a TV, but I'd see how much it would cost to fix your current TV (usually not cost effective though) or sacrifice and get a really cheap smaller/used set to hold you over until closer to Scorpio's release.

Cartho

If you need to buy one right now I'd get a cheap stop gap tv.

I just don't think think there's ANY point in spending lots of money on a tv at the moment. The feature sets are still far too in flux. I'm sticking with my cheap 1080p set until there are 4K, OLED, variable refresh rate TVs with low input lag and good quality HDR available for sensible prices.

Spending over a thousand on a 4K tv right now is a mug'a game in my opinion.

Gowans

B6.

Look at them side by side.

No contest.

And don't worry about burn in.

Is it worth an extra grand tho when I might get an itch to upgrade a a good few years after.

It looks amazing but a grand more amazing is where I'm struggling.

I have the Sony XD93 55" have a look at the 65" variant it's a cracking TV

Cheers I'll have a look, input lag and quality is my main worries

Rappy

HDMI 2.1. Think GSYNC but for TVs.
That still doesn't explain anything for people who don't know what Gsync is. Here's a link to a more in depth explanation:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-supports-freesync-and-hdmi-vrr

But what makes a 4K display "Scorpio ready" over variable refresh rate? Or even 1080p displays if you can possibly up the effects over the resolution in games (not sure if possible). There is a thread titled along the lines of "GSYNC is a god level gaming upgrade" after all.

Anarion07

Is it worth an extra grand tho when I might get an itch to upgrade a a good few years after.

It looks amazing but a grand more amazing is where I'm struggling.

Cheers I'll have a look, input lag and quality is my main worries

Depends on your general budget.

Also, with that mindset you can never buy an expensive TV. There will always be amazing new tech on the horizon.

Gowans

Depends on your general budget.

Also, with that mindset you can never buy an expensive TV. There will always be amazing new tech on the horizon.
Haha you're right.

I probably would have grabbed the LG if I had been able to wait till after summer and it would be 20% cheaper but an extra Grand is a lot of stuff I could do with the kids over summer.

I'll have to get into a shop and look side by side tho.

Anarion07

Haha you're right.

I probably would have grabbed the LG if I had been able to wait till after summer and it would be 20% cheaper but an extra Grand is a lot of stuff I could do with the kids over summer.

I'll have to get into a shop and look side by side tho.

I don't think the b6 will get much cheaper. Demand is high since the b7 isn't that much if an upgrade.

If the store b6 has some image retention, don't worry. They don't run any kind of compensation cycles and don't exactly treat them well.

Soodanim

Gold Member
HDMI 2.1. Think GSYNC but for TVs.
I just looked it up. Wow, that's fantastic for gaming. I already have a 144hz G-Sync, but it's nice to know in 5 years everyone will have access to the same convenience of no tearing and the smoothness of variable refresh rates.

wolgoen

HDR is still in its infancy and has not been 'standardised' yet, the whole HDR thing is a bit of a mess really. Variable frame rate TVs are coming later so again the tech will be new and expensive.

I would just get a decent enough TV now to replace your faulty one and wait until end of this year or into next year to go all out and buy a flashy one to go with the Scorpio.

Besides, right now we don't know what Scorpio will actually be able to do.

StMeph

Besides, right now we don't know what Scorpio will actually be able to do.

This is probably the most important thing to keep in mind.

In terms of general minimums, I'd imagine you'd want 4K and HDR, but outside of that it's really not going to be relevant to Scorpio.

KevinG

I'd definitely recommend the B6 over the KS8000, but he only reason I ended up with a B6 was because I found it for the same price as the KS8000 which was already at the absolute top of my budget.

OLED absolutely blew my mind, but I simply would not have been capable of paying upward of $1000 more for it.

I went with the KS a few months ago. With the idea that I would upgrade to OLED in a few years when the tech has vastly improved. There's a lot going on at the moment in the TV world, now with variable refresh thrown in the mix, so I thought it best not to invest too much right now.

Plus the KS is still a mighty fine TV in it's own right!

Gowans

Yeah I would jump in the b6 if there was a deal, no way I can find one for the same price as a KS. Think I'll throw my order on RGB Direct tomorrow.

Arttemis

I can't imagine justifying any large sum of money on a TV when HDMI 2.1 is around the corner. Doing so sounds like one of the "worst ideas ever."

Buy or borrow some cheap screen until the absolutely major feature that Scorpio supports is actually released. I wouldn't consider any HDMI 2.0 TV to be Scorpio ready.

Afrikan

Why not wait for variable frame rate TVs at the end of the year?

yeah.

Gowans if you just want to get a TV RIGHT NOW, because your current one is about to die... you should just spend $100-$200 on a another 1080p Tv. They have them out there.

then later this year... with the money you saved from not going all out today, plus saving some money along the way...

you could then get a variable frame rate TV later this year....and would REALLY be taking advantage of your system.

ss_lemonade

I'd definitely recommend the B6 over the KS8000, but he only reason I ended up with a B6 was because I found it for the same price as the KS8000 which was already at the absolute top of my budget.

OLED absolutely blew my mind, but I simply would not have been capable of paying upward of $1000 more for it.
How were you able to get one at the ks8000's price? Or was it like a 55in b6 versus a 65in ks8000?

Arttemis

yeah.

Gowans if you just want to get a TV RIGHT NOW, because your current one is about to die... you should just spend $100-$200 on a 1080p Tv. They have them out there.

then later this year... with the money you saved from not going all out today, plus saving some money along the way...

you could then get a variable frame rate TV later this year.

This. Anything else seems brash.

im waiting until the scorpio has more details personally. But all my friends bought a sony X800D, seems cheap and good quality for an HDR tv right now. I think it would be best to wait before plopping down a large sum on an expensive tv right now

KevinG

How were you able to get one at the ks8000's price? Or was it like a 55in b6 versus a 65in ks8000?
55B6 from a deal on eBay for $1150, compared to the $1300 the 55" KS8000 was going for at that point. I was trying to wait for the KS8000 at sub-$1000, but then that B6 deal fell into my lap.

EvB

I have a 60" 1080p Samsung that is 3.5 years old, out of warranty and starting to reset randomly.

I was waiting to near Scorpio release to pick up a 4K TV for the best deal possible but as this one is starting to die it looks like I'll need to pick up a new TV in the next couple of weeks and move this one to another room for occasional use.

It's going to be used 50% of the time for gaming, needs low input lag and be 65".

I had down two options as:

- LG OLED65B6V - £2,600
- Samsung KS8000 UE65KS8000 - £1,500

Am I better getting a cheaper one and upgrading to OLED later when Variable Frame Rate comes into TVs?

Any other options? or thinks to force a longer wait?

I'd say wait, HDR is still in it's infancy, neither of those TVs can do it as well as the source material requires. I was going to grab a KS8000 this year, but after learning even more about HDR, I've decided to at least wait until there are some variable refresh rate sets available. The 1080p benefits should be a good jump up from what we have now, so I'm gonna go with that.
Also we don't know what the overall support for 4k/scorpio will be like, so even more reason to wait.

Gowans

yeah.

Gowans if you just want to get a TV RIGHT NOW, because your current one is about to die... you should just spend $100-$200 on a another 1080p Tv. They have them out there.

you could then get a variable frame rate TV later this year....and would REALLY be taking advantage of your system.

This. Anything else seems brash.

Black Friday will be around the same time Scorpio is coming pair it with a TV then.

I'd say wait, HDR is still in it's infancy, neither of those TVs can do it as well as the source material requires. I was going to grab a KS8000 this year, but after learning even more about HDR, I've decided to at least wait until there are some variable refresh rate sets soon

Yeah I would wait but with the 60" dying and it being used in for family film nights and me on Xbox i need one now.

Thoughts are go for the great mid range and then go OLeD and VFR when they embed a litttle

I've got a 60" KS8000. TV has been great so far. UC4 HDR on the Pro was ace. Patiently waiting for Scorpio....

923-cat-watching-the-clock.gif

EvB

Yeah I would wait but with the 60" dying and it being used in for family film nights and me on Xbox i need one now.

Thoughts are go for the great mid range and then go OLeD and VFR when they embed a litttle

Ah I missed the dying part.
Yeah, you can walk into richer sounds and get a great 60inch set for £500

alternatively, if you are feeling brave and don't need any smart TV features you could buy a bottom of the range 4k set for the same amount

Fisty

Yeah just buy a two or three hundred dollar TV to hold you over. You won't get a good TV that has all the Scorpio features until next year probably, and even if you can get one this year you'll probably end up paying thousands more than you'd need to

I'd wait until you see what support is like for VRR. It could be implemented without 2.1, so we may see something sooner (i.e. around Scorpio time) than later.

K' Dash

OP is anxious to burn cash on a new TV and you're telling him to wait, just tell him the best TV he can buy on his budget and be done with it.

I would flip if a 3 year old TV failed on me, but this is obviously an excuse to go out and buy a 4K set.

I have a KS8000 and my brother has the LG OLED B6, I honestly prefer my KS8000. While in movies the OLED is absolutely beautiful and gorgeous, he seems to be constantly having problems with gaming on the OLED from it not recognizing the console (PS4 Pro and xbox one) input sometimes to input lag to weird artifacting and post processing issues. Whenever I'm at his house and we google around and try to fix it, it just ends up frustrating and playing with menu options that fix one problem but create another.

Meanwhile my KS8000 is rock solid, has a LOT of people who own it and game on it, everything just pretty much works, and the remote is small and has only a few buttons on it. The OLED has better viewing angles but I'm pretty much the only person who looks at this TV (its in my office) so that wasn't a factor for me, and while deep blacks are better on the OLED the rest of the color repro is fairly close imo.

I wouldn't buy a cheap $200 TV or whatever, you'll get a piece of shit and you still want to use it for at LEAST six months, right? Why not get the ks8000, save 1000 pounds for now, the next big feature rich TVs will be intro'd at CES 2018 next january and then you can decide then what an upgrade path is and how long you will wait. If you hunt around you SHOULD be able to find a KS8000 for even cheaper, since its discontinued now I think?

The new Sony TV's look really good especially the x900e and the x930e. I'm probably gonna pick one of those up nearing the end if the year, I'm also considering the LG OLED C70...can't go wrong with any of those choices I think.

Space_nut

Go for one OP!!

I'm waiting till 2018 for my tv with Scorpio. I'll just enjoy the 4k super sample on my 1080p plasma Panasonic tv :)

I have a KS8000 and my brother has the LG OLED B6, I honestly prefer my KS8000. While in movies the OLED is absolutely beautiful and gorgeous, he seems to be constantly having problems with gaming on the OLED from it not recognizing the console (PS4 Pro and xbox one) input sometimes to input lag to weird artifacting and post processing issues. Whenever I'm at his house and we google around and try to fix it, it just ends up frustrating and playing with menu options that fix one problem but create another.

Meanwhile my KS8000 is rock solid, has a LOT of people who own it and game on it, everything just pretty much works, and the remote is small and has only a few buttons on it. The OLED has better viewing angles but I'm pretty much the only person who looks at this TV (its in my office) so that wasn't a factor for me, and while deep blacks are better on the OLED the rest of the color repro is fairly close imo.

I wouldn't buy a cheap $200 TV or whatever, you'll get a piece of shit and you still want to use it for at LEAST six months, right? Why not get the ks8000, save 1000 pounds for now, the next big feature rich TVs will be intro'd at CES 2018 next january and then you can decide then what an upgrade path is and how long you will wait. If you hunt around you SHOULD be able to find a KS8000 for even cheaper, since its discontinued now I think?

Something is wrong with his TV. I've never had that issue. Got the 55" B6 for $1100 and couldn't be happier.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It'd really suck to buy a tv now and miss out on freesync capabilities. Get a decent stop gap non-smart tv.

Those TV's are 2 years away and then another year away from people being able to afford them and then they'll be another improvement to wait for. The waiting game never stops.

Afrikan

Something is wrong with his TV. I've never had that issue. Got the 55" B6 for $1100 and couldn't be happier.

yeah.

tearsintherain, make sure your brother has the latest firmware... even if you try to download it through the TV options, it might not be the latest. Even though the TV will tell you that it is up to date.

For my C6, I had to go to LG's website and download it to a USB drive and install it that way.

Afrikan

There is a LG monitor that is 4K HDR10 and Freesync....but it's only 32"

edit- Kind of confused. LG makes it seem like it's available... but other sites say it is either out of stock... or pre-order option.

Top Bottom