• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trying to sell off IO Interactive (Hitman)

I wonder what this all means considering IO was hiring for a new IP and Hitman Season 2 was greenlighted (or am I imagining stuff?).

C_hnoA1WAAEYqjL.jpg

Source: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20170511_01en.pdf

// Mod Edit:

Since people are asking about sales:

Hitman Absolution: Owners: 3,020,229 ± 50,168
Hitman: Owners: 631,227 ± 23,003

Hitman Absolution also shipped 3.6 million in a few months whereas presumably Hitman is no where near that.

DKHF

Oh shit, wow.

I didn't play Hitman but I know it was well received by a lot of people, seeing this obviously it wasn't making enough money. So as far as we know the only AAA non-Marvel game the western studios of Square Enix are working on is Shadow of the Tomb Raider now.

Amir0x

Banned
After the latest Hitman finally stuck its landing and was so extraordinarily high quality!?

No good things are allowed to exist in this world forever :(

Does Square own the Hitman IP?

So does that mean Season 2 is dead?

So many questions. Really wonder why they are choosing now to cut bait.

Wow, didn't even realize SE was in financial trouble at all. If anything I thought they'd been on sort of a good streak since 2013/14

That's a shame about Hitman though, I'm guessing IO can't use the IP at all while being independent of Square, so the series is dead in the water for now.

Maybe SE is giving the ongoing game a new developer? Microsoft did it with Killer Instinct and it worked out, it can happen

whoa what the fuck

Wow, didn't even realize SE was in financial trouble at all. If anything I thought they'd been on sort of a good streak since 2013/14

That's a shame about Hitman though, I'm guessing IO can't use the IP at all while being independent of Square, so the series is dead in the water for now.

Maybe SE is giving the ongoing game a new developer? Microsoft did it with Killer Instinct and it worked out, it can happen
They spend too long on high budget games and then expect their other games to move insane numbers to prop them up. Never forget that the tomb raider reboot selling over 3 million was a huge disappointment to them

Mechazawa

eJaSdqL.png

Did Hitman do poorly? Did it do okay, but not good enough to warrant continual investment? Why was a season 2 greenlit? Is season 2 on fire?

Hell's goin' on.

Also, didn't Hitman do pretty well for them? Kind of strange that I/O is the one to bite the dust while Eidos Montreal is able to survive the underperformance of Deus Ex.

Roboculus

What the hell? I thought Hitman sold well?

edit: I guess not good enough it seems. Damn, I really hope IO is able to partner up with someone else. Would be a hell of a loss to not continue after how well Season 1 turned out.

Hitman went ignored by so many due to its episodic nature, and then the retail release came and went with a whimper and no promotion. It's a shame.

dreamfall

Hitman was so incredible - maybe the monthly content update didn't pan out sales wise how they wished. IO created one hell of a game.

Oh they actually achieved record income and profits for FY 2017, very healthy right now, but this news is something no one was expecting considering they were happy of Hitman Season 1 (at least this what everyone was imagining).

Nick_C

Could be misinterpreting the last paragraph in the screenshot, but it sounds like Square Enix is looking into potential buyers to both minimize loss and make sure that IO stays on their feet.

Amir0x

Banned
IO just moved to new offices, fucking hell Square Enix. Invested too much in Final Fantasy?

And they allowed Tomb Raider to get fucked by a team who has no idea what ever made Tomb Raider compelling in the first place.

SquareEnix better get on the ball quick. Games these days cost a lot of money, they can't afford to be this behind the times.

Ninjimbo

Guess that's what happens when your game bombs. It's too bad because Hitman 2016 was high quality. There just isn't a lot of room for hardcore stealth games.

duckroll

Goddamn. I wonder if they'll be selling the Hitman IP along with IO Interactive. Hard to see any publisher interested in buying the studio without Hitman.

So.... Season 2... RIP?

If IO lands safely, they can't make another Hitman. If Square-Enix makes a Hitman Season 2, it won't be IO.

Not necessarily. Square Enix might not be able to successfully sell IO without Hitman.

Santar

Good, maybe the next Hitman won't be riddled with useless online only stuff, Squeenix is seemingly obsessed on having those kinds of stuff in all their western developed games.
Wait, IO still owns the Hitman IP right?

Top Bottom