• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square-Enix trying to sell off IO Interactive (Hitman)

PnCIa

A third person game were you have to stop and think a bit from time to time? Cant do well in todays market it seems :-((((

Vuze

Whaaat. Hitman 2016 was so good! I was really looking forward to another season :(
Hope all goes well for IO and that Square can't keep their claws in the Hitman franchise.

Fuuuuck. What does this mean about season 2? Surely they have been working on it for the past few months? I really hope we still get something out of it.

First Mass Effect goes on hiatus, now this. What a day. Someone is out to get to me.

Toki767

If someone's going to buy IO, I kind of figure it'll be THQ Nordic or Deep Silver.

The smaller publishers that could probably use another development team.

Without the Hitman IP though, I don't know if it'll be as attractive a purchase though.

Extremely disappointing. Hitman 2016 is incredible and i was pretty excited to see more of it. Hope someone can come in and save IO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think someone will probably buy them, especially among boutique publishers.

ZeniMax (Bethesda) would be a good fit if they're not panicked about Providence also trying to sell them off.

KarmaCow

Guess the critical reception couldn't overcome pretty much everything else stacked against the game.

Hopefully IO can recover from this.

duckroll

I think someone will probably buy them, especially among boutique publishers.

ZeniMax (Bethesda) would be a good fit if they're not panicked about Providence also trying to sell them off.

Do you think someone will likely buy them without any IP changing hands?

jdstorm

Banned
Someone put out the Phil Spencer Bat Signal. These guys would be a great choice to do a new Perfect Dark and Microsoft has money to burn.

Dabanton

Wow. Hitman was great the episodic levels was great but I guess it's harder to keep people interested month to month :(

PnCIa

As much as I think the episodic nature actually helped the game from a quality standpoint, I think it hurt it from a sales perspective.
That may have been a factor as well, but lets face it: Absolution shit the bed. The franchise was tainted after someone decided to fuck it up and make a linear game out of it. Backlash was huge, even though it sold well and the initial hype was strong. Once you played it though...uuuggghhhh.
Also: Todays market etc.

It had good reception ? I only remember first part being bad technically on PC.
Giant Bomb's GOTY! (if that means anything, lol). Idle Thumbs guys were also enamored with it for a while. Were there a lot of technical problems? I only remember a lot of griping about the online-only business.

vivekTO

This is Not Good For IO, I heard nothing but Positive praises regarding the new Hitman, Obviously haven't played myself.

Also I don't know how this bode well for Episodic games.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Damn Hitman and mankind devided were my 2016 Favourite titles, both of them are dead
Hope sony or ms buys them they both need a good stealth game

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So SE is at a loss solely due to Hitman?

Does that impact their other non-IO titles?

Damn Hitman and mankind devided were my 2016 Favourite titles, both of them are dead

Or Eidos isn't doing well. Didn't Rise of the Tomb Raider didn't do so well too?

ZeroX03

Banned
Not sure who was responsible for all the terrible messaging and marketing of HITMAN (I assume SE), but that was a big part of it failing, not the quality. That's a shame. It does seem at odds with Season Two, but my understanding is S2 was greenlit like mid last year so it's actually been a while.

duckroll

So SE is at a loss solely due to Hitman?

Does that impact their other non-IO titles?

Er no. An extraordinary loss is a one time loss that comes out of a unique occurrence. It's not losing money because something didn't sell. In this case they are declaring the loss from them exiting IO as a business.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

It's a strange dilemma.

Square -- as a publisher -- hasn't put out this kind of quality stuff in ages, along with Life is Strange and Nier: Automata.

Ironically, still not enough to get them enough earnings in their eyes.

It's sad but I'm not very surprised here. The episodic format is what hurt it IMO, and now that the game is available physically, there's no more interest (at least for me).

So yeah, it had a good reception, the episodic format may have helped improve quality but people weren't ready to see a known AAA franchise go down that road.

Too bad.

Nick_C

As much as I think the episodic nature actually helped the game from a quality standpoint, I think it hurt it from a sales perspective.

I remember general consensus on GAF was to wait until all episodes were out, then anyone still interested would pick it up. Seems like not too many were still interested.

I also remember talk of Squeenix going in hard on episodic games, kinda cutting up things that didn't need to be episodic, due to the popularity of Telltale games and the like. Unfortunately, it was Telltale's The Wolf Among Us that taught me to wait until the entire season was out before I dove in.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Oof.

Not surprising, looking at the sales numbers. With all hands on deck from their western studios being Marvel and Tomb Raider, they probably don't want to bother with anything selling less than a million copies.

Top Bottom