• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 4.16 released, support for Switch now fully-featured, XB1 now on DX12

blogassets_2017_may20udqwa.jpg

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/unreal-engine-4-16-released

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/...n-the-nintendo-switch-with-unreal-engine-4-16

Looks like Epic did as they said and got Switch support fully finished for 4.16! :)

Interested in seeing where things go from here.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Unreal Engine stays winning. Amazing turn around and support once they made it free for everyone to use.

Nice. Not sure if it works like this, but it would be really awesome if games on UE4 like Snake Pass and NBA Playgrounds could get visual/performance boosts with this update.

Steiner

Banned
How much bigger is the 'Press to Port' button now, and how much easier is it to press?
Someone get Thraktor in here.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Does this have any performance bearing on titles like Snake Pass? Basically, does this update bring optimizations that developers can use to patch their games for better performance for the end user?

Steiner

Banned
To learn more about the full range of new Nintendo Switch UE4 features, developers can register and join the Unreal Engine community today.

Do we have any UE devs around who can give us a synopsis?

Speely

Banned
Nice! Looks like they have a developer board for support as well. Going forward, it looks like devs using UE4 Switch will have a fully-supported, full-featured engine.

Sami+

Sick! Great news for Japan I'm guessing. Hopefully more developers like Sonic Team and Platinum make the switch to UE4 over their own proprietary engines if it'll be easier to port stuff in the future.

M3d10n

I wonder if it uses NVidia's custom Switch API, Vulkan or OpenGL. The source code of 4.15 hinted at OpenGL, but the support there was considered "experimental".

Does this mean we will see less mobile-phone games on Switch (outside of Zelda) now?

Such as?

Kureransu

I wonder if it uses NVidia's custom Switch API, Vulkan or OpenGL. The source code of 4.15 hinted at OpenGL, but the support there was considered "experimental".

Such as?

Maybe he's talking about VOEZ? LOL. I'm trying to throw him a bone here, but it's obvious it was a drive by attempt.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Companies using UE4 have no excuse to skip the Switch, of course aside from terrible potential sales.

Of course, don't knock it until you try it. Third party sales can't be quantified if you ignore the switch, and not release anything.

Does this mean we will see less mobile-phone games on Switch (outside of Zelda) now?

I think it's a stealth troll.

There's nothing stealthy about it

It is pure, open, trolling.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Companies using UE4 have no excuse to skip the Switch, of course aside from terrible potential sales..

Well, I mean outside of the myriad of excuses third parties publishers and developers have used to ignore Nintendo's platforms for the last ten to fifteen years anyway.

Hcoregamer00

Well, I mean outside of the myriad of excuses third parties publishers and developers have used to ignore Nintendo's platforms for the last ten to fifteen years anyway.

That's why I said, "don't knock it until you try it." If they released several day and date multiplats and they sell terribly, go ahead, they have a real reason to ignore the system.

It is hard to justify bad sales if they got nothing there.

Companies using UE4 have no excuse to skip the Switch, of course aside from terrible potential sales.
Just because UE4 supports switch does not mean the deved games could have the CPU or GPU headroom to run the gameplay code well on switch. This just means that it compiles and a majority of the rendering options run on it - although at massively reduced samples or completely turned off.

Hcoregamer00

Just because UE4 supports switch does not mean the deved games could have the CPU or GPU headroom to run the gameplay code well on switch. This just means that it compiles and a majority of the rendering options run on it - although at massively reduced samples or completely turned off.

At least the switch runs a modern game engine, this is in stark contast of almost any modern Nintendo system in the past 15 or so years.

Top Bottom