• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do I hear so little about 3-6 mafia?

Recently I've been bumping some 3-6, specifically their older work, and can't help but feel that they're overlooked by many. For instance, whenever people start listing their top rappers they list wu tang, nas, ice cube etc. a lot of influential, and excellent rappers, however rarely do I hear 3-6 mentioned. Now, I'm sitting on no high horse here, i've done it myself for a while, but after returning to their work I feel compelled to talk about them.

I feel that they are on the level of all time greats, considering they developed a sound pretty prominent in our generation. ASAP mob, raider klan, and a few others, for example, were influenced by the. I'm sure there are plenty more, but the point is they created a sound, and that, imo, is the most important aspect of musicians, which they've done--in spades. So why aren't they as prominent in discussions as people like cube, or outkast?

few songs for the uninitiated:

Ridin in da chevy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riifOyp4V6Y

Mystic Stylez - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00IhxUsK3k

Powder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnPUXt0jnM

I recommend going in order.

Bonus interview for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5FwyzxFIsQ

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Definitely in my top 5 rap groups. (Top 3 if we pretend crunchy black doesn't exist)

Rip lord infamous

collige

Banned
Because two of them died, their most talent member is focusing on his solo career, and the rest of them went back to the underground to make collab mixtapes with Insane Clown Posse

psyfi

Banned
There used to be a punk house on 36 NE Alberta in Portland that called themselves the 3-6 Mafia

Also yeah the rappers are dope

Because two of them died, their most talent member is focusing on his solo career, and the rest of them went back to the underground to make collab mixtapes with Insane Clown Posse
Pretty much.

I like their early shit a lot though. It was already rocky for Three 6 around Most Known Unknown, a lot of members left and that old spark they had was slowly going away. They kinda came back with Da Mafia 6ix but the followup they did was no where near as good.

Nepenthe

This is utterly heartbreaking.

PS: Project Pat ain't really had a solo career since. /s

collige

Banned
No /s needed, in terms of living members Pat is the best.

He was never an official member of the group though, that's why he's listed as 'featured' when he did the hook for Sippin'
R-599132-1389298923-3153.jpeg.jpg

No /s needed, in terms of living members Pat is the best.

He's only needed for the dancing.
you need to listen to body parts again..

also pat could still be a huge artist if he didn't take such a long time between releasing albums. also is promo garbo now, thats why mista don't play 2 flopped hard as hell.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He was never an officialmember of the group though.

Ah yeah true.

you need to listen to body parts again..

also pat could still be a huge artist if he didn't take such a long time between releasing albums. also is promo garbo now, thats why mista don't play 2 flopped hard as hell.

I always just see him on some low view count video on Worldstar but they're usually good. Gucci Skully or whatever was alright lol.

royalan

All these so-called ballas want me boy I'm styled you know I'm sexy
I'm LaChat you see I'm swole got you waitin' at a tole
Betta' come break me off a fee keep yo' girl on yo' bankrole
See me switchin' blowin' out kisses dudes don't know what they be missin'
I'm the type of girl you need keep some cookin' in the kitchen
Bake yo' biscuits up from scratch get chu' sprung off my cat
But chu betta take care yo' kids Juvenile Court is where it's at
Where it's at?
YEANKNOW!? Cheese is missin' yean show
And that freak you shackin' wit' she too nice I'm mean though

p7dyBjQ.gif

Go to gaf hop and ask.
Please.

We have only become a den of memes and jokes.

On topic, for what its worth, I think that they got overshadowed by Outkast as the South's representative for legendary hip-hop artists. Three 6 are legendary but it didn't help they were doing their thing during Outkast's prime. I think people credit Three 6 for really setting the groundwork for trap, but I can't really comment too much on that considering I've listened to one or two albums from the group.

For a point in my life I was balls deep in three 6 mafia, prophet posse, project pat and all that shit. Once core members started to leave, mainly Gangsta Boo,the music just fell off.

Mystic Stylez will forever be one of my favorite albums of all time.

In Da Summa
Live By Yo Rep
Fuckin Wit Dis Click
Mystic Stylez

I can listen to those songs forever.

Man...I've been wondering this since way back.

It's very rare that I like the majority of a group or band's songs but their beats sound so sick.

I was listening to Bomani the other day and he was playing the Stay High instrumental, I miss that old Dj Paul and Juicy J.

img_00794njev.jpg

I literally just had an Uber driver Monday that played 3-6 in the car and said he was a rapper and was arranging a collab. wit Project Pat. So weird to see them mentioned again this week.

On topic, for what its worth, I think that they got overshadowed by Outkast as the South's representative for legendary hip-hop artists. Three 6 are legendary but it didn't help they were doing their thing during Outkast's prime. I think people credit Three 6 for really setting the groundwork for trap, but I can't really comment too much on that considering I've listened to one or two albums from the group.

Yeah, that's a good point. Outkast had a pretty incredible thing going, so I can see why people gravitated to it.

For a point in my life I was balls deep in three 6 mafia, prophet posse, project pat and all that shit. Once core members started to leave, mainly Gangsta Boo,the music just fell off.

Mystic Stylez will forever be one of my favorite albums of all time.

In Da Summa
Live By Yo Rep
Fuckin Wit Dis Click
Mystic Stylez

I can listen to those songs forever.

Yeah, that album is excellent man. I can just groove to that shit all day

Anyone remember the whole Memphis vs Bone Thugs n Harmony saga that went on? It seemed like every rapper/group out of Memphis went at them in the 90's.

Stasis

So many memories. First song I heard was 'Late Nite Tip' in a car with way too many subs, high on E in Portland having just arrived that same day to meet people I only knew from online gaming, on our way to Mt. Hood.

Was amazing. Such a long time ago. I'm old now. I will always cherish Three 6.

Top Bottom