• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do I hear so little about 3-6 mafia?

They don't respect the south like they should. Everybody except for 3 stacks, Killer Mike, and Lil Wayne from the south are underrated.

IrishNinja

Who even are you.

Who the fuck even are you, random.

newjacks comin for their absent king, scust

GVxlYLL.jpg

Recently I've been bumping some 3-6, specifically their older work, and can't help but feel that they're overlooked by many. For instance, whenever people start listing their top rappers they list wu tang, nas, ice cube etc. a lot of influential, and excellent rappers, however rarely do I hear 3-6 mentioned. Now, I'm sitting on no high horse here, i've done it myself for a while, but after returning to their work I feel compelled to talk about them.

I feel that they are on the level of all time greats, considering they developed a sound pretty prominent in our generation. ASAP mob, raider klan, and a few others, for example, were influenced by the. I'm sure there are plenty more, but the point is they created a sound, and that, imo, is the most important aspect of musicians, which they've done--in spades. So why aren't they as prominent in discussions as people like cube, or outkast?

few songs for the uninitiated:

Ridin in da chevy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riifOyp4V6Y

Mystic Stylez - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E00IhxUsK3k

Powder - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDnPUXt0jnM

I recommend going in order.

Bonus interview for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5FwyzxFIsQ

If you like 3-6, do yourself a favor and listen to Kingpin Skinny Pimp and Lil Gin. I used to live in Memphis when 3-6 was hot and Skinnypimp was that dude.

Ronin Ray

If you're talking pioneers, forgetting Project Pat. I know he wasn't "technically" a member, but he pretty much was. And he INVENTED trap music.

I mean Project Pat is juicy Jay brother and over all the best solo artist they ever had. He was around longer with 3 6 then anyone outside of Lord infamous who's dj paul's brother but died and he is a member unofficially. I mean it was Pat, Paul and Juicy at the end to me. But I am talking Pioneers as far as producers. DJ Paul and Juicy J literally created all those sounds. Project Pat was just a rapper and I am not sure he did any production.

Ronin Ray

They don't respect the south like they should. Everybody except for 3 stacks, Killer Mike, and Lil Wayne from the south are underrated.

Your favorite rapper's favorite rapper is Scarface . But yeah a lot of rapper's in the south are underrated but Scarface , bun b , and RIP pimp c get there respect. Scarface is looked at better and more respected then everyone you named outside 3 thousand but not as popular are as big as lil Wayne got.

Ronin Ray

They're basically horrorcore, which puts them in the same category as ICP.

And their name is 666 Mafia. That 90's edge ain't en vogue these days.

They started horrorcore along with crunk, trap and so many other sounds. So no there not in the same category as ICP. Dj Paul has music going back to 89. Also the name had nothing to do with the devil it's simple there were 3 members then they added 3 more. They went from 3 to 6. Then they leaned into the controversy of the name. I am convinced they never added project pat to the group when he got out of lock up because they didn't want to mess up the number. Same reason Redman was never in Wu-Tang Clan because he was born in New Jersey not New York.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably not very well known? While I don't listen to rap/hip-hop, I of course recognize the biggest names​. This group I have literally never heard of before this thread.

Man I am listening to When The Smoke Clears now and I forgot how much I love this album. Flashbacks to early 20's riding around North Texas smoking pot and causing trouble :/

Thanks for the thread OP

I saw Project Pat live one time in college and he did his verse from Lolli Lolli like 6 times throughout the show. I think that's the last time I ever thought about Three 6.

Obscura

Aside from the occasional Immortal Technique, Jedi Mind Tricks and Dälek tracks the only Rap I actively listen to is early Triple Six. Mystic Stylez has been a huge album in my life for fifteen years.

RIP LORD INFAMOUS

They started horrorcore along with crunk, trap and so many other sounds. So no there not in the same category as ICP. Dj Paul has music going back to 89. Also the name had nothing to do with the devil it's simple there were 3 members then they added 3 more. They went from 3 to 6. Then they leaned into the controversy of the name. I am convinced they never added project pat to the group when he got out of lock up because they didn't want to mess up the number. Same reason Redman was never in Wu-Tang Clan because he was born in New Jersey not New York.

Idk, I feel the triple 6 is supposed to be associated with the devil, judging by their lyrical content anyway. Though I guess they could have stated otherwise in interviews.

If you like 3-6, do yourself a favor and listen to Kingpin Skinny Pimp and Lil Gin. I used to live in Memphis when 3-6 was hot and Skinnypimp was that dude.

Listened to his album, king of the playaz ball, today. Really good, going to be listening to it some more his weekend. Thanks for the recommendation

Ronin Ray

Idk, I feel the triple 6 is supposed to be associated with the devil, judging by their lyrical content anyway. Though I guess they could have stated otherwise in interviews.

Listened to his album, king of the playaz ball, today. Really good, going to be listening to it some more his weekend. Thanks for the recommendation

Of a lot of there music had devil stuff no doubtt. It's crazy how much there sound changed through out the years.

But the story about the name came from paul there original name was Backyard Posse, Serial Killaz then they add 3 other members.

it started DJ Paul, Juicy J, and Lord Infamous then they added Koopsta Knicca, Gangsta Boo, and Crunchy Black

Top Bottom