• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/DC focusing on JL Dark and Batgirl next; Jenkins could get bigger creative deal

Blader

Contrary to earlier reports, Jenkins was actually not signed to do two movies, but it seems like a pretty foregone conclusion she'll be back for the sequel.

While star Gal Gadot has an option in place for Wonder Woman 2 as part of her overall deal to appear in several DC movies, Warner Bros. executives enlisted Jenkins for just one film, a decision that could end up costing the studio millions of dollars if Jenkins' reps drive a hard bargain for her to return.

And the studio had been focusing on putting together Justice League Dark, a supernatural team-up project, and Batgirl, a Joss Whedon-helmed film (among other Bat-offerings), as the likely next movies to go into production in the DC Comics universe.

Jenkins could not only return to the director's chair on Wonder Woman 2 but also could ink a more expansive deal that would allow her to work with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns on a script treatment for that movie and possibly others as well.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...ector-patty-jenkins-not-signed-sequel-1010845

Wow, Patty about to get that money.

Also interesting that if true, they are really focusing on JL Dark and to some extent Batgirl, although I had a feeling Batgirl would get priority.

As of now, Aquaman is the only DC movie slated for 2018 and I'm sure they are trying to make sure that doesn't happen again.

I guess WB said fuck Flash and the others heroes for the time being.

Blader

I though JK Dark was dead for some reason. Glad it's being focused on now.

Liman dropped out recently but they're moving fast to get a new director lined up.

I was expecting GCC to get the boost over Batgirl, but I guess Whedon being a big name overrides Harley/Margo.

Probably a matter of scheduling that's holding back Sirens. Ayer is attached to a Scarface remake, which is due out next August, and Robbie has a few things she's attached to (and is also apparently pregnant).

jph139

Glad that Batgirl is getting a fast track, I'm absolutely down for that. Even if it's weird to get it before a Batman movie.

JL Dark I'm iffy on, though. Characters like Swamp Thing and Constantine... seems like it could go wrong VERY easily.

george_us

Awesome news regarding Jenkins. She's the lone bright spot in the mess that is DCEU. She somehow made Gal Gadot charming as hell.

Viewt

question: Why has Jenkins only directed two movies over her whole career?

As I understand it, she shifted to TV work because it has a more forgiving schedule and she wanted to have a family. She also had some movie stuff never come to fruition (most famously, Thor: The Dark World) because of her (very legitimate) fear that, if she was seen to have tanked a big studio film, it would not only harm her chances of getting to direct another film, it would harm women's chances overall in the industry.

As I understand it, she shifted to TV work because it has a more forgiving schedule and she wanted to have a family. She also had some movie stuff never come to fruition (most famously, Thor: The Dark World) because of her (very legitimate) fear that, if she was seen to have tanked a big studio film, it would not only harm her chances of getting to direct another film, it would harm women's chances overall in the industry.

Yep, from a Buzzfeed article:
“For a long period since Monster, the bottom fell out of the indie market, and it was only big tentpoles being made — and that made everything very difficult. Definitely many films I was wanting and trying to make became nearly impossible to make,” Jenkins told BuzzFeed News late last month.

After the success of Monster, Jenkins was attached to direct a movie about legendary test pilot Chuck Yeager, but that fell through after she decided to develop it independently rather than signing a deal with a studio. There was I Am Superman, a drama set in the prison industry, but she had to put that project on hold after she got pregnant (which causes a pause for many women in the industry). After becoming a mother, Jenkins directed a string of television shows, earning an Emmy nomination for the pilot of The Killing. And in October 2011, she signed on to helm Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World; however, she departed the project just two months later.

Jenkins didn’t say exactly why she parted ways with Marvel; however, she previously told The Hollywood Reporter that, throughout her career, she has encountered a fair share of “troubled projects.” “I thought, ‘If I take this, it'll be a big disservice to women … If they do it with a man, it will just be yet another mistake that the studio made. But with me, it's going to look like I dropped the ball, and it's going to send a very bad message.’ So I've been very careful about what I take for that reason.”

DeathyBoy

Banned

It's extra sad because Thor 2 dude made a terrible film and was rewarded with Trrmintit Megafruce

KalBalboa

Banned
I have a tough time with DC movie news and letting it sink in.

There's so much contradiction and straight-up lies getting published that it's hard to really invest in these stories.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Jenkins could not only return to the director's chair on Wonder Woman 2 but also could ink a more expansive deal that would allow her to work with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns on a script treatment for that movie and possibly others as well.

Yes please.

I thought Man of Steel 2 was becoming a priority within the studio? There was even that rumor of attaching Matthew Vaughn. No traction on that?

Kevinroc

Go Patty!

I wonder, if Batgirl and Justice League Dark do well, will there be a push for more spin-off characters? The DCU has a ton of great spin-off characters that could make for some very interesting movies.

(JLD listed as a spin-off because it uses the Justice League name.)

Penguin

I was expecting GCC to get the boost over Batgirl, but I guess Whedon being a big name overrides Harley/Margo.

Well others mention Ayer has Scarface... could find another director.. and in the wake of Patty, would be wise to seek a potential female director.

I imagine Batgirl/GCC are also easier to slot in since probably don't have as much riding on their success since imagine kind of related to the DCEU but won't have a large impact on their visions

jayu26

Jenkins didn’t say exactly why she parted ways with Marvel; however, she previously told The Hollywood Reporter that, throughout her career, she has encountered a fair share of “troubled projects.” “I thought, ‘If I take this, it'll be a big disservice to women … If they do it with a man, it will just be yet another mistake that the studio made. But with me, it's going to look like I dropped the ball, and it's going to send a very bad message.’ So I've been very careful about what I take for that reason.”
Wow, must have been obvious even that early that Thor 2 wasn't going to be good.

DeathyBoy

Banned
My hype for Batgirl would increase a thousand fold if they said it wasn't Barbara.

But it's going to be.

It's Joss.

Dude isn't going to start with the Batgirl legacy characters before the legacy is set up. Plus you don't cast JK Simmons as Gordon and not so Barbara.

Interesting move. They are already branching the DCEU with B-C list heroes while the core characters (Justice League members) are constantly up in the air. Flash doesn't have a writer or director, Cyborg got canned (possibly for good and maybe they decided to make a Teen Titans movie, which would be cool since we got that Nightwing movie rumor) and Man Of Steel 2 could or couldn't happen in the next 5 years. I think its a good decision because:
1)With the success of WW I think its safe to say that they will try to give a push to female lead movies (I wouldn't be surprised if in the same year we got GCC and Batgirl).
2)Justice League Dark its a really interesting decision 'cause the characters in it are really different to what we currently have on the DCEU and MCU. Of course it will all depends on whether the movie its good or shit. Suicide Squad was a huge missed opportunity for example.
Also: Colin Farrell as Constantine pls.

It's Joss.

Dude isn't going to start with the Batgirl legacy characters before the legacy is set up. Plus you don't cast JK Simmons as Gordon and not so Barbara.

Oh shit. I don't know how, but it *just* dawned on me that yeah, Simmons would probably have a pretty big role in a Batgirl movie. He plays a good dad.

kswiston

Patty will get a bigger payday on a Wonder Woman follow up, but I don't know how much negotiating power she actually has for huge money. At least not yet.

Patty will get a bigger payday on a Wonder Woman follow up, but I don't know how much negotiating power she actually has for huge money. At least not yet.

Wonder Woman came in $40 million over tracking. It has the best reviews of any DC movie since The Dark Knight. They're going to do whatever it takes to keep Patty.

Oh shit. I don't know how, but it *just* dawned on me that yeah, Simmons would probably have a pretty big role in a Batgirl movie. He plays a good dad.

Plus Simmons is ready for the DCU gun show

80e479dca8f5f08f9de4713223b34a8d04d9aaf098465350d5f11ce3e1a8d420.jpg

duckroll

Wonder Woman came in $40 million over tracking. It has the best reviews of any DC movie since The Dark Knight. They're going to do whatever it takes to keep Patty.

I dunno about that. Gal Gadot's place is rock solid because she's the face. The director? Not so much. Most people won't care. Look at what happened with Deadpool 2.

kswiston

There's not much evidence that swapping out directors in these franchise films ruins box office potential.

I think that WB will prefer to keep her of course.

Edit: also, WB was the only studio putting Wonder Woman 40M behind tracking. Most had it at $80-90M, and $100M+ was talked about weeks before release.

The reviews were the only big surprise.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Whedon will push for Saoirse Ronan as Batgirl seeing as she ultimately didn't get far into the audition process for Scarlet Witch despite being the "prototype". I'm not so sure she'd be interested in a superhero role these days, but regardless, it would be nice if another big-budget production finally came her way. The last time she was offered a part in a blockbuster was when Peter Jackson decided to helm The Hobbit -- everything else either didn't pan out (e.g. the Star Wars sequel trilogy) or was misreported (e.g. Fantastic Four, thankfully).

Keym

Good.

TV show had the best possible Flash-Reverse Flash story. And the best Captain Cold. Film automatically had two strikes against it.

While I agree on both of those points... they royally screwed up with Flashpoint, which is what I want the most out of a live action Flash movie. Plus Grodd, he leaves a lot to be desired as well from the CW verse.

Bubble

Neo Member
Interesting how they are pushing the Batgirl movie over a Green Lantern Corps movie. You'd think WB/DC would push for the GLC movie to be made, you know, with Johns in charge of the DCEU. However, I'm fine with no Green Lantern movie being made for now if they are going to push Hal Jordan and John Stewart as the main characters. Gimme Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner as main leads instead.

And since Barbara is gonna be the Batgirl, I'm hoping that Nightwing gets a role (or at the very least a cameo).

Alienous

That's how I see it too - I don't get the sense that she would be seen as irreplacable if she tried to drive a hard bargain. The character is the draw, not the director.

Tim Miller not directing Deadpool 2 comes to mind, though that is a different studio.

JimiNutz

Banned
Focusing on the Bat-Family and rogue gallery has got to be a winning bet.
As a fan of Batman, but not necessarily the rest of the DC universe, I certainly hope to see more Batman related stuff on the big screen - especially the villains! Give us a Joker film!

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's how I see it too - I don't get the sense that she would be seen as irreplacable if she tried to drive a hard bargain. The character is the draw, not the director.

Tim Miller not directing Deadpool 2 comes to mind, though that is a different studio.

She'll be back. They'll just go with Cheetah to keep sfx down.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Not having seen WW but seeing the great reception of the movie it makes sense to put Jenkins in a more creative producer position.

Top Bottom