• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB/DC focusing on JL Dark and Batgirl next; Jenkins could get bigger creative deal

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Interesting how they are pushing the Batgirl movie over a Green Lantern Corps movie. You'd think WB/DC would push for the GLC movie to be made, you know, with Johns in charge of the DCEU. However, I'm fine with no Green Lantern movie being made for now if they are going to push Hal Jordan and John Stewart as the main characters. Gimme Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner as main leads instead.

And since Barbara is gonna be the Batgirl, I'm hoping that Nightwing gets a role (or at the very least a cameo).

It's going to take a long time to wash the stench of the Martin Campbell/Ryan Reynolds movie off the GL franchise. The GLC idea is a huge long shot as much as I would love to see it done properly.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hope they choose a better actress for Batgirl than Gadot was for Wonder Woman. As charming as Gadot was, at times, there were scenes were her inability to act hurt the scene.

ryan299

They need to update their slate at comic con and put solid dates on these movies. Outside of Aquaman next year they have nothing solid.

Blader

No mention of Reeves Batman or Flash? WTF WB?!

Those are technically already in the pipeline but are held up by scheduling now: Reeves is busy Apes for the next couple months, and Ezra is busy shooting Fantastic Beasts 2 into the fall.

Boke1879

Hope they choose a better actress for Batgirl than Gadot was for Wonder Woman. As charming as Gadot was, at times, there were scenes were her inability to act hurt the scene.

Nah she was honestly great.

But yea I have no idea who would be in the running for Batgirl.

FeD.nL

I really wonder what the roadmap looks like now. Are they gonna do Darkseid sooner or later? What is the next big 'event' that they work towards? I would love to see Blackest Night be adapted for the big screen.

Boke1879

I really wonder what the roadmap looks like now. Are they gonna do Darkseid sooner or later? What is the next big 'event' that they work towards? I would love to see Blackest Night be adapted for the big screen.

Well we got Aquaman next year. And we know Batgirl and Sirens are coming and The Batman. Whedon can probably start on Batgirl whenever he's ready. Reeves is busy with apes for now.

I dunno about that. Gal Gadot's place is rock solid because she's the face. The director? Not so much. Most people won't care. Look at what happened with Deadpool 2.

There's not much evidence that swapping out directors in these franchise films ruins box office potential.

I think that WB will prefer to keep her of course.

Edit: also, WB was the only studio putting Wonder Woman 40M behind tracking. Most had it at $80-90M, and $100M+ was talked about weeks before release.

The reviews were the only big surprise.

Sure, it's possible. But Warner is the studio who keeps letting the Wachowski's make bomb-after-bomb, who gave Zack Snyder the keys to the DC kingdom after Sucker Punch. If there's one thing that Warner is pretty alright at, it's sticking by their directors. Sometimes even to a fault.

Fuck's sake, if they wanted to keep working with David Ayer they're going to want to keep working with Patty. I would be pretty shocked if she doesn't end up doing Wondy 2.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
No Elongated Man movie, NO SALE!

edit: seriously though, I don't fault WB for taking the gamble with Jenkins not getting a 2 picture deal. She had one big movie before this, and WW wasn't really set up to do anything except support the main BvS storylines, iirc. But, now that she's turned that plan on it's head (in a really good way), it's time to show her the money.

Well we got Aquaman next year. And we know Batgirl and Sirens are coming and The Batman. Whedon can probably start on Batgirl whenever he's ready. Reeves is busy with apes for now.

Apes should be finished by now, or finishing in the next couple weeks. He'll be busy with the press tour, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in on a rewrite soon. I think The Batman will probably make 2019 just fine, for the character's 80th.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I dunno about that. Gal Gadot's place is rock solid because she's the face. The director? Not so much. Most people won't care. Look at what happened with Deadpool 2.

Dunno. I think WB is serious on keeping her on board in whatever capacity much like FOX has done with Bryan Singer.

This is pretty much WB's first critical and commercial success outside of Nolan's Batman for DC. I don't think they would want to mess with a winning formula.

Is JL Dark even actually going to get made though? Seems like they don't even a cast yet, and production has been hell. I know Liman's attached, but if there's any DC films that's going to get delayed again and again I'd say it's that one.

Still good for Jenkins.

Those are technically already in the pipeline but are held up by scheduling now: Reeves is busy Apes for the next couple months, and Ezra is busy shooting Fantastic Beasts 2 into the fall.

Flash has also had some production woes, and they currently searching for a new director to helm it.

kswiston

Sure, it's possible. But Warner is the studio who keeps letting the Wachowski's make bomb-after-bomb, who gave Zack Snyder the keys to the DC kingdom after Sucker Punch. If there's one thing that Warner is pretty alright at, it's sticking by their directors. Sometimes even to a fault.

Fuck's sake, if they wanted to keep working with David Ayer they're going to want to keep working with Patty. I would be pretty shocked if she doesn't end up doing Wondy 2.

I think she will be on the sequel. I just dont think she is going to be getting an A-tier payday after one film.

You mention Ayer, but Suicide Squad was the most profitable DCEU film, so I dont see how keeping him is a stretch.

Also: Colin Farrell as Constantine pls.
We already got the best Constantine:

constantine-S1-001f.jpg

Dalek

I'm loving everything I'm reading. More Patty is fantastic as she clearly knows her stuff. Also I'm dying for a Justice League Dark movie-that comic was a favorite of mine.

Batgirl is fine and all but I really hope they don't prioritize Batman spin-offs over other heroes in the DCU.

I've been waiting for Shazam and that movie still doesn't have a director.

I love the idea of a Justice League Dark film but goddammit do I hate that name. Shadowpact or bust.
And Detective Chimp better be in it.

J_Viper

Uhhhh they mean they're gonna focus on JLD and Batgirl AFTER Batman right?

RIGHT?

I wonder what this means for Sirens and SS2

Years later and I still can't stand the name "Justice League Dark".

It's so crap, Dark League would even sound better.

I watched the JL Dark animated film the other day and it was surprisingly ok. Most the the DC animated films are awful now unfortunately but I liked it plenty.

Batjag

I love the idea of a Justice League Dark film but goddammit do I hate that name. Shadowpact or bust.
And Detective Chimp better be in it.

I agree with all this. Justice League Dark is a terrible title and would be confusing to the general audience.

As far as Patty, I'm betting she'll get some sort of guiding role in the DCEU alongside Geoff Johns. Essentially the same sort of consulting that Nolan did for Man of Steel.

Beyond that, at the very least, she becomes the Gatekeeper of the Wonder Woman character. Whoever directs JL2 or whoever wants to use Wonder Woman for a cameo will have to get Patty's blessing on how they use the character.

Loxley

She single-handedly salvaged their whole damn cinematic universe, pay her whatever the hell she wants to keep her on-board.

Sam Raimi for JLDark would rock. It's been a minute since he's gone back to that kind of world. Just the evil dead pilot and drag me to hell long before that

Colin Farrell or Daniel Craig for Constantine plz

Man deserves somebody with that kind of screen presence and gruff demeanor

Matt Ryan was fun but obviously he isn't getting the part in the movie

And as much as I love Keanu his depiction and movie itself was boring

Pachimari

I would love for Patty Jenkins to get a larger creative role but really, I want them to get that Flash movie going, and then afterward look at all these other properties. I'm fine with Justice League Dark cause that'll give me John Constantine but ugh it's a hard wait for The Flash.

Not sure why, but I feel like Raimi could actually make people care about Cyborg. If they're still making that movie, I'd like to see him in the director's chair. Of course, his version of the speedforce would also look incredible.

For JL Dark, I don't know, my top choices like Liman and Del Toro have already moved on... Fuck it, bring back Francis Lawrence and let's make his Constantine canon and retroactively the first DCEU film. Yeah, I said it. Keanu forever.

Q8D3vil

Batgirl first movie as an introduction to the character and the killing joke as an batman/batgirl sequel would be awesome, but it will never happen.

Blader

Colin Farrell or Daniel Craig for Constantine plz

Man deserves somebody with that kind of screen presence and gruff demeanor

Matt Ryan was fun but obviously he isn't getting the part in the movie

And as much as I love Keanu his depiction and movie itself was boring

heh, Craig playing his Logan Lucky character with a Welsh accent would be a fun take.

duckroll

Dunno. I think WB is serious on keeping her on board in whatever capacity much like FOX has done with Bryan Singer.

This is pretty much WB's first critical and commercial success outside of Nolan's Batman for DC. I don't think they would want to mess with a winning formula.

That doesn't mean they will do "whatever it takes" to keep her, which is what I was replying to.

heh, Craig playing his Logan Lucky character with a Welsh accent would be a fun take.

That trailer reminded me how much I missed Craig man. Brehs been on autopilot as bond for a while now (though I still like him in those movies despite how the last one turned out)

Top Bottom