• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Microsoft's Xbox One X Benchmarks Revealed: 4K vs 900p/1080p + BC

Gowans

Eurogamer Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-microsofts-xbox-one-x-benchmarks-revealed

Remember when we revealed the hardware specs for what was then called Project Scorpio? Well, developers had a similar briefing - but with a fat pile of GPU benchmarks. We've managed to source them, and here they are.

YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7iD9wjdCE [10:26]

OP can you at least post the pictures?
dMPlOVw.png

1 of 3: Xbox One at native resolution compared to performance at 2160p from a barebones Xbox One X port. Higher is better. The data is expressed here in terms of percentage. 1080p scales well, 900p holds up better than you might expect. 720p? Predictably not.

JD4khj5.png

2 of 3: Here are the frame-rates, converted from frame-times (seen in the next slide). Higher is better. 1080p titles gain frame-rate moving to 4K, with two out of three 900p games within five to six per cent of matching performance at 4K.

WWylZPv.png

3 of 3: This is the original Microsoft data based on frame-time measured in milliseconds from PIX GPU captures. Lower is better. Title D is a 900p game with scaling issues, but everything else looks promising bearing in mind the very basic nature of the ports.

qQVegoc.png

1 of 3: A percentage increase comparison showing base Xbox One performance (blue at 100 per cent), followed by back-compat (red) and native Xbox One X code compiled under the latest XDK (green). Older titles can be recompiled to get a big performance boost.

oQXsk2N.png

2 of 3: Here's the same data, this time in basic frame-rate terms. Only Title A doesn't see a huge improvement in performance with back-compat, while the boost with native Xbox X code (a barebones port it should be noted) is massive in all cases.

CWOqyh3.png

3 of 3: Just like the 4K captures, the original data is based on PIX captures measured in frame-time (milliseconds). Here's that data - lower is better here. You might say we're looking at 1.31TF vs 3TF vs 6TF performance here at the same resolution.

JaffeLion

Banned
The presentation states that the design goal of Xbox One X was to run native 1080p titles with a 4x resolution boost, while during our visit, Microsoft had expanded the objective, saying that it wanted both 900p and 1080p game engines to run at 2160p. The data for most of the nine titles clearly demonstrates that the 4x resolution design goal is clearly met - even without access to new GPU features of the Xbox One X hardware.

Wow. good stuff. great read. thanks!

Pif

Banned
So they started by calling out MS on their "true 4k" claims mentioning all the checkerboarded stuff shown.

I thought they had a marketing deal all along.

DF was right to be downright impressed with Xbox One X capabilities, but it's good that they show how difficult getting native 4k will be on the console.

It's funny how some here went from DF being Xbox fanboys last gen, PS4 shills early this one and now, somehow bankrolled by MS again.

Dynomutt

Verbatim:

Remember when we revealed the hardware specs for what was then called Project Scorpio? Well, developers had a similar briefing - but with a fat pile of GPU benchmarks. We've managed to source them, and here they are.

Multiple engines tested. Unity, Unreal, and various In House engines including MS.

"We may be underestimating some game(s) performance"

"CPU seems to still be an issue. Rendering some titles at 4K may be asking to much."

"Some titles such as Anthem/Assassin's Creed will use checker-boarding and dynamic resolution."

"Even if dev does not target One X as long as they use the new XDK they will tap into full power on One X"

"XDK will benefit BC"

"Improvements with games like Halo and Project Cars that use dynamic engines"

Pretty cool stuff!

Maximus P

Which is sad because it was nothing but a salty troll lol. Kind of sums up GAF these days though.

Yup, the meme needs to die. I admit to being amused at first but i must have seen it over 100 times now.

Back on topic. I'd love to see a more in depth analysis of the loading times and fluidity of the dashboard. One of my major gripes with the Xbox One is that the Dash, at times, can feel really slow and clunky.

Raide

Come on preorders! Need to see some actual footage of these improvements, since we are mainly dealing with benchmarks etc but it's all super exciting.

Pif

Banned
DF was right to be downright impressed with Xbox One X capabilities, but it's good that they show how difficult getting native 4k will be on the console.

It's funny how some here went from DF being Xbox fanboys last gen, PS4 shills early this one and now, somehow bankrolled by MS again.

This rollercoaster of performance is a godsend to DF, NX Gamer and the likes. I'm expecting tons of coverage/gaf attention to games that are not able to hit the fabled true 4k.

Dynomutt

This rollercoaster of performance is a godsend to DF, NX Gamer and the likes. I'm expecting tons of coverage/gaf attention to games that are not able to hit the fabled true 4k.

NXGamer to reveal PS5. Will spend a week in a sweat lodge with Kaz and Cerny and reveal the console while on ayahuasca.

Pif

Banned
Such a bummer the CPU is holding this beast back
Better CPU would mean 599 US Dollars.

X1x is already having an uphill batle as it is, a higher pricetag would guarantee an immediate flop.

You (and everyone else) will play fake 4k checkerboarded games and love it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the cpu atill have a little bump over XB1?

Curious why the cpu would be a bottleneck. You're still staring the same number of things on screen - same number of draw calls etc, just at a higher resolution.

"CPU seems to still be an issue. Rendering some titles at 4K may be asking to much."

so lets be honest here. It's really not going to be much better than PS4pro - specs or whatnot, the fact that they have to checkerboard would ultimately mean that games will probably look the same on the pro/xbX

bryanee

Does the cpu atill have a little bump over XB1?

Curious why the cpu would be a bottleneck. You're still staring the same number of things on screen - same number of draw calls etc, just at a higher resolution.

I think a bottleneck in regards to things like FPS. No 30 to 60 type stuff.

X1x is already having an uphill batle as it is, a higher pricetag would guarantee an immediate flop.

Better CPU would mean ditching Jaguar and this is not an option because it would mean compatibility issues. I think that is more likely the more important factor than cost.

ryushe

Man, I'm so on the fence about the XOX.

On one hand, I want this thing purely on the fact that it's an absolute beast but on the other hand, I don't play my Xbox One enough...

If third-party games gets significantly better, that might tip me over the edge.

Might just put some money down at GameStop given I have enough credit to pay it off in full. 😉

Synth

so lets be honest here. It's really not going to be much better than PS4pro - specs or whatnot, the fact that they have to checkerboard would ultimately mean that games will probably look the same on the pro/xbX

No because if a game has to checkerboard to hit 4K on XB1X, then it'll likely have to checkerboard to hit a lower resolution on PS4P. And that's without considering the better textures that XB1X would typically allow.

Every time I get excited for this console, I remember there aren't any games I personally want to play on it. But I kind of want one anyway....Thing sounds like a monster.

Carn82

Yup. I'm really looking forward to the Raven Ridge benchmarks, should be an indication for what we can expect in the 'next gen' consoles. Early Ryzen 3 (the low budget Zen cpus) benchmarks put the CPU in the same ballpark as modern i3 / i5s. If they use Zen for the next consoles, it will be a really significant performance increase, CPU wise.

Carn82

multiplatform games will be interesting. To be honest, my guess would be that it will be a bit like between the PS4 and X1, but with the roles reversed. "good thing" is that the difference a sub-4K image compared to a native 4K image is less jarring as 1080p vs 900 or 720. GAF and guys like Digital Foundry will notice the differences but as always, the future will tell if "avarage joe" will care much for it.

No because if a game has to checkerboard to hit 4K on XB1X, then it'll likely have to checkerboard to hit a lower resolution on PS4P. And that's without considering the better textures that XB1X would typically allow.

depends on whether not devs are gonna be bothered to put the dev time to add special sauce considering XbX is facing an uphill fight with their price/install base. If its not 4k, it might have more particles etc; but on PS4pro - the dedicated 1st parties will probably really work their code to maximise the use of the pro. I expect visuals to be similar.

multiplatform games will be interesting. To be honest, my guess would be that it will be a bit like between the PS4 and X1, but with the roles reversed. "good thing" is that the difference a sub-4K image compared to a native 4K image is less jarring as 1080p vs 900 or 720. GAF and guys like Digital Foundry will notice the differences but as always, the future will tell if "avarage joe" will care much for it.

Guerilla's Horizon already has demonstrated that the pro can deliver top end checkerboarded visuals. You're right about average joe. But then, average joe gonna pay that much for the xbX?

Kayant

Nice this is the kind of content I like from DF.

Even if they wanted that CPU isn't available in the semi custom roadmap for when they want to release.

gamz

Fuck....

"Under the later XDK, every new Xbox One title will automatically gain Xbox One X performance improvements, seemingly even if the developer does not have access to an Xbox One X devkit and is targeting no bespoke improvements"

f@luS

More than a member.
Don't even see difference between Cb and native so I think it will look the same. Almost. Anyway will have both system as usual

leeh

depends on whether not devs are gonna be bothered to put the dev time to add special sauce considering XbX is facing an uphill fight with their price/install base. If its not 4k, it might have more particles etc; but on PS4pro - the dedicated 1st parties will probably really work their code to maximise the use of the pro. I expect visuals to be similar.
You're making a mountain out of a molehill, its about as time consuming as tweaking some toggles and doing some frame rate profiling. Just as PC gamers do for every game.

I think we're at least 3 years away from A real 4K console. By that time it could be reasonably priced for the Console space.

someone needs to do a supercut gif of all the times they said TRUE 4K @ their E3 conference and the realities of their monster box

The CPU, plus all games are designed to work on Xbox One and are not going to be made to take full advantage of the X.

But if that was the case, I guess that would make it a next gen system, which clearly the X isn't. Still it's a nice boost over Xbox One for the people that want something more than what Xbox One can offer.

Carn82

Guerilla's Horizon already has demonstrated that the pro can deliver top end checkerboarded visuals.

Oh I know, but my point was more that first party titles will usually look great no matter the system; it will be games like Anthem (or other Frostbite-driven multiplatform games) that will be good benchmarks to see the differences

JaffeLion

Banned
Verbatim:

Pretty cool stuff!

you missed the part where almost every game is able to run natively on 4K:

The presentation states that the design goal of Xbox One X was to run native 1080p titles with a 4x resolution boost, while during our visit, Microsoft had expanded the objective, saying that it wanted both 900p and 1080p game engines to run at 2160p. The data for most of the nine titles clearly demonstrates that the 4x resolution design goal is clearly met - even without access to new GPU features of the Xbox One X hardware.

Carn82

Don't even see difference between Cb and native so I think it will look the same. Almost. Anyway will have both system as usual

I hope MS and Sony keep supporting, finetuning and improving rendering techniques checkboarding and 'temporal injection' and other techniques; and maybe service those functions in a lower-level way in their next architectures. Personally, I don't really care much for "native 4k" if something like checkerboarding gets you 95% of the same image quality for significantly less resources. Sure, in my dreamworld everything would be atleast 4K and 60fps but that will happen seldomly.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

depends on the approach.

If MS first party goes native 4k, and Sony first party goes checkerboard, then games will look practically indistinguishable. MS just burning transistors on 'native'

If both MS and Sony went checkerboard with similar settings (eg 2160c) then the Xbox should be able to use the extra power for noticable improvements on screen - better shadow quality, that sort of thing. Maybe not increased world density because CPU might be a limitation there.

leeh

I hope MS and Sony keep supporting, finetuning and improving rendering techniques checkboarding and 'temporal injection' and other techniques; and maybe service those functions in a lower-level way in their next architectures. Personally, I don't really care much for "native 4k" if something like checkerboarding gets you 95% of the same image quality for significantly less resources. Sure, in my dreamworld everything would be atleast 4K and 60fps but that will happen seldomly.
Completely agree. I'm happy that devs are picking CBR for a higher fidelity 4k rather than chasing native. Think its a fantastic approach.

Top Bottom