• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts - June 2017

Shiggy

Game charts:
  • Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy best selling retail game for the month
    • more than 2x the sales of Tekken 7 (second place)
    • Sales even exceed the first week sales of Horizon: Zero Dawn, the previous fastest-selling single-format release of the year
  • 3 of the Ttop 10 have been on sale for over a year
    • GTA V (No.3)
    • Overwatch (No.5)
    • Rocket League (No.10)
  • To enter the top 10, sales of only 21,000 units were necessary; 5,000 units to enter the top 50
  • Nintendo's ARMS debuts at No. 15

Market information
  • Market share: software sales
    • PS4 - 55%
    • Xbox One - 28.4%
    • Switch - 5.7%
  • Market development
    • Retail game revenue increased 4% over last June to £35.4m
    • Number of games sold rose 9% to 1,251,712 units
    • Activision Blizzard accounted for 16.5% of all the physical games sold in June and 13% of the revenue.

screenshot2017-07-06ae5s68.png

Source: GamesIndustry

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
GTA is a goddamn beast lol. It will be in the Top 10 three years from now lol.
Sub 21k for ARMS in two weeks? That sucks.
What did you expect in UK ? I mean its a new unproven IP on a system with a low installed base.

noshten

Horizon with the discounts - expect it to be in the top 5 in Germany and possibly NPD for June.
I actually think around 20K for Arms is ok for the UK, should do much better in France and the US where it's likely the top game for June.

Ashtar

So arms doesn't have legs?
Crash sold like crazy, but tekken did well I think probably somewhere in the 75k-90k range

Selling ARMS for £45 was madness for a start. Not a whole lot of BRAINS went into that decision. Good luck on finding those LEGS.

cw_sasuke

Selling ARMS for £45 was madness for a start. Not a whole lot of BRAINS went into that decision. Good luck on finding those LEGS.

Isnt that the standard first Party Switch price point ? I doubt that it would have done much better in UK at a cheaper price. Seeing that everything outside the Top games and mult games sell anything i dont think there would have been much to gain.

Isnt that the standard first Party Switch price point ? I doubt that it would have done much better in UK at a cheaper price. Seeing that everything outside the Top games and mult games sell anything i dont think there would have been much to gain.

Splatoon could be pre-ordered for sub-£25 and that fared better than how ARMS is doing right now.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member

I probably would've bought it for a cheaper price. I wasn't that interested but curious about the hype. As soon as the reviews came in and I saw the price point, I bailed.

Fliesen

Anecdotally speaking as someone who's yearning for more games to play on their switch (i even bought mediocre stuff like Oceanhorn) - i haven't bought ARMS either.

I think people were too bullish about ARMS mass market, but also 'core gamer' appeal.

It's too expensive for being a "mostly multiplayer motion controls game" imho and doesn't feel like a must-have game whatsoever. Especially since it doesn't really seem to feel at home on a non-docked switch - which to many people seems to be their main mode of playing.

cw_sasuke

Splatoon could be pre-ordered for sub-£25 and that fared better than how ARMS is doing right now.

I would argue that Splatoon had more appeal than ARMS anyway. Nothing against ARMS but that genre obviously isnt known for the biggest commercial success stories, even established multiplatform series have issues selling.

I probably would've bought it for a cheaper price. I wasn't that interested but curious about the hype. As soon as the reviews came in and I saw the price point, I bailed.

Yea, probably ... so it might have sold 20k instead of 15k or so, thats really not the difference that would make a publisher reconsider.

Akki

ARMS did fine.

1) Fighting games don´t sell great in Europe (compared to the US)
2) UK is one of Nintendos worst markets
3) Switch installbase is incredibly low

ARMS is:

1) Fighting game
2) limited content
3) full prize
4) medicore reviews
5) new IP

Anyone who expected massive numbers was just delusional. It´s stil going to sell around 2-3 million copies worldwide but most in the US and Japan.

cw_sasuke

ARMS did fine.

1) Fighting games don´t sell great in Europe (compared to the US)
2) UK is one of Nintendos worst markets
3) Switch installbase is incredibly low

ARMS is:

1) Fighting game
2) limited content
3) full prize
4) medicore reviews
5) new IP

Anyone who expected massive numbers was just delusional. It´s stil going to sell around 2-3 million copies worldwide but most in the US and Japan.

Exactly.

I remember jumping on that thing since it was cheap at SimplyGames. Even got the game before the street launch.

But yeah, ARMS launching so expensive while the install base is still small, and doesn't carry the weight of a name like Zelda or Mario Kart, was a mistake.

Edit: Or at least, not optimal. I mean Splatoon like successes can't be expected all the time.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
UK is dead.

EDIT: Also, Arms was priced wrong. It's simply too barebones to justify as a purchase for the average consumer.

KRyPT

Neo Member
Compared to Zelda and Mario Kart. It´s certainly not a must have game.

Tekken 7 had a full month and is on 2 major platforms. It stil sold less than a remaster which had just 2 days and released only on the PS4. I guess this proves what i said.

I understand your point, but I think TEKKEN 7 being #2 this month and Injustice 2 being #1 in May suggests that the genre isn't the reason why ARMS is only at #15

Aceofspades

Banned
Sony must be happy with SW sales on PS4, I mean double that of Xbox?! That's what happen when you release quality exclusives on your platform.

Zemm

ARMS was too expensive for too little content. UK may not be into fighting games as much as the US but we still buy ones that offer good value. Just look at Injustice 2.

Tekken 7 had a full month and is on 2 major platforms. It stil sold less than a remaster which had just 2 days and released only on the PS4. I guess this proves what i said.
That remaster outsold every other single-platform release this year including RE7, Mass Effect, Horizon, Mario Kart. What did you expect of Tekken 7?

Akki

That remaster outsold every other single-platform release this year including RE7, Mass Effect, Horizon, Mario Kart. What did you expect of Tekken 7?

My original point was only that fighting games don´t sell well in UK/Europe compared to the US.

The comparison I used wasn´t the best considering the massive surprising success of Crash.

I don´t really know how well Tekken 7 sold but it was the only major AAA release this month. I guess everyone expected it to be on the first place.

NSESN

Cmon people Arms did well in France and Japan. Let's not call it a bomb because of country that historically don't buy Nintendo games. It's becoming a meme just like Knack outsold Mario 3D World.

Top Bottom