• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Monthly Charts - June 2017

Arms did meh in the UK. I dont think it's a huge deal. It means Nintendo gotta get their ass in gear marketing, pricing and mind share wise.

Mario007

Tekken 7 was the only big multi platform release in June and even then it was outsold by Crash in just 2 days.
Let's be clear here, Crash would have outsold Horizon or Zelda as well so you can't argue getting outsold by crash is a sign Tekkden didn't do well.

MrS

Banned
How is GTA still selling so many copies? It's insane and it defies logic at this point.

MisterR

Doing double what Tekken did with a 4th of the install base is doing well in my book. And it will have much better legs too.

We'll see what kind of legs it has, so far they've just been ok. It had about the standard 80% drop after the first week. It's certainly not looking like another Splatoon.

NSESN

We'll see what kind of legs it has, so far they've just been ok. It had about the standard 80% drop after the first week.

It had a 70% drop in second week tho and a good third week drop, I don't know why you are insisting with "just ok" when it is clear it will do much better than any fighting game not Smash in Japan.

Edit: I understand now, if it is not another splatoon it isn't doing well. Let's forget it is the highest selling home console gaming in the last 5 years.

Bruno MB

I miss not being able to keep doing my detailed UK monthly charts.

MCV stopped reporting the data and on top of that we can no longer estimate the exact sales numbers of barely any game.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
That Steam user score protest working wonders, I see.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The biggest take from this is how dominant the PS4 is in the UK, didn't remember the gap to be so wide o_O

The UK is the second biggest market for the Xbox One too.

Chauzu

We'll see what kind of legs it has, so far they've just been ok. It had about the standard 80% drop after the first week. It's certainly not looking like another Splatoon.

ARMS is just doing ok in Japan because it isn't selling like Splatoon?

I think there are some more variety than "ok" and "biggest new franchise in over a decade".

Kill3r7

How is GTA still selling so many copies? It's insane and it defies logic at this point.

It is the quintessential piece of software this gen. Most console buyers now are mass market folks and late adopters. So it makes perfect sense.

The biggest take from this is how dominant the PS4 is in the UK, didn't remember the gap to be so wide o_O

Crash helped massively with Tekken and Wipout all doing the business on PS4 coupled with Days of Play/Horizon also doing very well in a(nother) month Xbox was deadly silent. Humming along until Scorpio arrives.

this is Software
what do you think the markeshare will look like, when Xbox release a big exklusive, Ps4 none and no big multi platform games selling to make the % difference smaller?

Crash and WipEout?

Welcome back to Fortress Sony-Europa, UK!

Thought they left after the 360 launch, but they're just as European as ever, putting WipEout on a top ten chart, where it deserves to be!

Sorry Arms. You deserve better.

BigEmil

ARMs did pretty well for Switch when there's not much other games to buy for it atm so more people inclined to buy ARMs

mejin

this is Software
what do you think the markeshare will look like, when Xbox release a big exklusive, Ps4 none and no big multi platform games selling to make the % difference smaller?

You're stretching too much. This kind of scenario is not impossible, but highly improbable.

Do we have examples where XBO had this kind of advantage over PS4? I really don't remember.

FinalAres

ARMS is just doing ok in Japan because it isn't selling like Splatoon?

I think there are some more variety than "ok" and "biggest new franchise in over a decade".
ARMS would have been doing OK based on its sales if it was an established IP, but given its a new IP that's pretty good, does that seem about right? I'd agree with that.

It's just a shame it didn't do better in the UK specifically because I saw lots of marketing for it.

Ashtar

I miss not being able to keep doing my detailed UK monthly charts.

MCV stopped reporting the data and on top of that we can no longer estimate the exact sales numbers of barely any game.
I did some rough estimates (instead of updating my cv I might add)
Crash bandicoot was huge my most conservative estimate has it at 250k and the most liberal is 450 k and that's based off only the total number, the 21000 units sold to make it into the top 10 and outselling tekken 7 2:1

fhqwhgads

Shame about ARMS but UK gonna UK. It's surprising that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe even made it to number one in it's opening week, so ARMS doing well there was wishful thinking at the least.

Incredibly happy to see Crash do so well. Activision has been sitting on a gold mine this entire time and now they've finally realised the power of the marsupial. Vicarious Visions have also proven they can handle a Crash game too, now they just gotta get Traveller's Tales on board too and a new entry in the series will be a surefire thing.

Bruno MB

I did some rough estimates (instead of updating my cv I might add)
Crash bandicoot was huge my most conservative estimate has it at 250k and the most liberal is 450 k and that's based off only the total number, the 21000 units sold to make it into the top 10 and outselling tekken 7 2:1

The figure has to be way lower since overall software sales during Crash Bandicoot N Sane Trilogy launch week were 331,000 units (+160,000 from the previous week).

...or it's just not all that good of a game.

1.) defensive options vs. the myriad of offensive combinations.

2.) awkward control schemes.

3.) content. For example: the characters don't have endings. We don't know who these people are or where they came from and it's hard to care about them, except the op ones.

4.) it's hard. And no, not Dark Souls fair "git-gud" hard.. cheap, Mortal Kombat 3 arcade, please put another quarter in hard.

I'm sure if smash came out it would've topped the charts and yea, it'll do "fine" all across the board.

Graphics are great, in social settings ARMS can be good fun, but that's about it.

They should've introduced the characters with backgrounds like overwatch or something. If this game sells 2-3 million this year, its attributable to the lack of games right now, which is totally fine.

This is coming from a person who bought 2 copies of the game for myself and my kid. It just doesn't deserve blind praise is all I'm saying.

I understand your point, but I think TEKKEN 7 being #2 this month and Injustice 2 being #1 in May suggests that the genre isn't the reason why ARMS is only at #15

That's why the poster you initially quoted listed more than one reason? Because they're all contributing factors? Your post is the one that isolated genre as the only reason.

Price and limited content probably also had some to do with it.

this is Software

Except if MS launched a new exclusive PS4 would still be ahead in overall software sales...third parties alone would accomplish that,. If MS did sneak ahead 1 month it would be tight, not a huge gap lie this. The systems are not on even ground when it comes to pushing software....

Just look at gears launch month.

You're stretching too much. This kind of scenario is not impossible, but highly improbable.

Do we have examples where XBO had this kind of advantage over PS4? I really don't remember.

only month that would apply to some degree is August 2015
MS had Gears of War Ultimate Edition + Rare Replay
Sony just Until Dawn
so yeah, not a perfect example

when you look at full year market share (retail only units based) you get a better picture

Ps4: 22.2%
XB1: 18.5%
Ratio: 1.2:1

Ps4: 36.3%
XB1: 29.7%
Ratio: 1.2:1

Ps4: 45%
XB1: 34.1%
Ratio: 1.3:1

June 2017
Ps4: 55%
XB1: 28.4%
Ratio: 1.9:1

Xbox Software sales definitely loosing stream thanks to no big blockbuster exclusives and more focus on digital distribution with Crossbuy and XPA
I just wanted to point out, that a close to 2:1 ratio is not the norm

Wake me up when this happens ;)

Maybe Halo 6 will release in the last week of August 2018
but who am i kidding :D

Top Bottom