• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guns are fine. Racism is not! Armed Redneck Lefties Organizing Against Facism

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/guns-are-fine-racism-is-not-armed-redneck-lefties-are-waging-a-different-kind-of-war-on-fascism/

”Redneck Revolt is a national network of community defense projects from a broad spread of political, religious, and cultural backgrounds. It is a pro-worker, anti-racist organization that focuses on working class liberation from the oppressive systems which dominate our lives," the organization's website states. ”In states where it is legal to practice armed community defense, many branches choose to become John Brown Gun Clubs, training ourselves and our communities in defense and mutual aid."

The name harkens back to the 1921 ”Battle of Blair Mountain" when some 10,000 United Mine Workers of America staged the largest labor uprising in US history, with many miners wearing red bandanas around their necks. Over one million rounds of ammunition were fired before President Warren Harding sent in federal troops. Over sixty people died in the battle and almost 1,000 miners were arrested.

White supremacy is essentially a fight to be the best treated dog in the kennel," Shaun tells potential recruits. ”It's that way because a vastly small percentage of the population hordes access to resources and they're able to do this because they've managed to get one half of the working class to turn against the other half in exchange for basically preferential treatment."

”I grew up playing in the woods, floating coolers of beer down a river, shooting off fireworks, just generally raising hell, all that kind of stuff," Neely told Alternet. ”Things most people would consider a part of redneck culture. We're trying to acknowledge the ways we've made mistakes and bought into white supremacy and capitalism, but also give ourselves an environment in which it's OK to celebrate redneck culture."

So I saw this article and figured it would be a great discussion piece on GAF knowing how many people here detest gun culture and racism in America. They do talk a good game and I know making inroads into rural white groups across America is a big thing to try and break the stranglehold the GOP has on these people. Still not sure how I feel about the gun aspect but I suppose I'll just play a wait and see attitude and hope for the best.

Arm me against fascism if old.

Edit:
If you're interested in what these guys are aiming for I found their website:
https://www.redneckrevolt.org/principles

Yep. Gun rights are important.

I used to believe they weren't, but they absolutely are effective. A tyrannical government would have to gun down an armed populace, and I don't think a majority of the military would obey those orders.

notaskwid

1x
//

Fury451

Banned
Those still currently use human pilots.

And also, armed citizens are still much harder for a tyrannical government to control than unarmed citizens. Guerrilla warfare still works.

Human pilots who are highly prone to PTSD last i read

Asking a US drone pilots to kill US civilians on US soil would take quite the toll I imagine.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
”People need to be able to defend themselves. [We] live in a country in the world where people of color and LGBTQ people are routinely victimized and systematically victimized by the people who claim to be there for their defense," a Pittsburgh, PA Redneck Revolt organizer named Shaun told Shadowproof. We provide free basic firearms training to pretty much everyone who needs it. We focus on trying to provide [self-defense training] when asked for [by] communities of color and LGBTQ folks."

You can be redneck and woke.

I'm as happy to see representation of the left in the South as the next guy, but the John Brown Gun Club is like kind of fucked up

Then again, maybe that's where we're headed, I dunno

Chorazin

Plenty of gun folks are liberals, like myself. Glad to see this organization is going into places where people get blasted with racist rhetoric and trying to turn the tide.

OceanBlue

There are some Pew stats on the difference in gun ownership rates between urban and rural residents. Can't look it up right now since I'm on mobile but I didn't realize how many people actually own guns outside of cities until I saw it.

Moff

I don't see how arming more people can lead to anything but more violence and death. no matter their intentions. Minorities should absolutely have the same rights as everyone, but that does not mean I need to applaud arming more people that will lead to more accidental deaths by "responsible gun owners" and possible mass shooting by them or their children.

Neoliberal capitalism is all about the "the freer the market the freer the people" propaganda that only applies to yuppies in Silicon Valley. Sure, go tell that to the maquila women being overworked in Tijuana; the fast fashion workers in South Asia being exploited to dead literally; the cotton farmers in India that killed himself due to free market innovations. I could go on.

Kyuur

I'm not on the side of gun rights but I won't let that single issue detract from a group trying to generally do something good. Good for them.

Chorazin

I don't see how arming more people can lead to anything but more violence and death. no matter their intentions. Minorities should absolutely have the same rights as everyone, but that does not mean I need to applaud arming more people that will lead to more accidental deaths by "responsible gun owners" and possible mass shooting by them or their children.

Dude, the people they're going to talk to are already armed. They're not waffling on gun ownership.

rjinaz

What other system has done a better job so far?

I didn't realize there were conditions to your statement.

Capitalism isn't going to go away anytime soon I'll grant you, but the idea that a private market is the end all of freedom seems silly to me.

Makonero

Good on them. Needs to be counter-programming in rural spaces that doesn't conform to the "hippie treehugging" stereotype. Hope they stay true to their mission and win some hearts and minds.

Now if we could get some country singers onboard, maybe we'd begin to shift the conversation a bit more.

Boney

Banned
Yep. Gun rights are important.

I used to believe they weren't, but they absolutely are effective. A tyrannical government would have to gun down an armed populace, and I don't think a majority of the military would obey those orders.
It's the opposite. Defection occurs when enforcers cannot or will not carry the orders of the regime because protests are righteous and peers are there. That's how east Germany collapsed under Honecker.

Nepenthe

This question doesn't answer the question. The poster asked "You have to believe in capitalism in order to be free?" with the implication ultimately being about whether or not you're "free" under a capitalist system. If you're going to somehow argue that child labor and shitty third world conditions are freedom then, I mean, go for it. I'd honestly like to see someone try.

What people need to understand is that capitalist being the "best we can do" doesn't mean it isn't terribly exploitative of human capital and the environment. Capitalism kills people, full stop. But just admit you're okay with that because you think the alternatives are worse instead of trying to convince yourself you're "free" because you can buy stuff.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
”White supremacy is essentially a fight to be the best treated dog in the kennel," Shaun tells potential recruits. ”It's that way because a vastly small percentage of the population hordes access to resources and they're able to do this because they've managed to get one half of the working class to turn against the other half in exchange for basically preferential treatment."

Redneck Revolt seeks to change the calculation.

”I grew up playing in the woods, floating coolers of beer down a river, shooting off fireworks, just generally raising hell, all that kind of stuff," Neely told Alternet. ”Things most people would consider a part of redneck culture. We're trying to acknowledge the ways we've made mistakes and bought into white supremacy and capitalism, but also give ourselves an environment in which it's OK to celebrate redneck culture."

leon.png

kess

I'm not going to dispute the efficacy of capitalism when it's benefits are distributed fairly, but we're talking about people who have been institutionally fucked for generations and see things like charter schools as just another way to screw them over.

GAF would probably laugh at the amount of money most people have in their checking accounts, honestly.

rjinaz

Think of it this way. I know Star Trek is fictional but would you argue the characters in that show are not free? Do you think they would make that argument (if they were real and you could ask them)? There is no private markets for them. Just because there is currently not a better alternative or a highly supported alternate doesn't mean that means that's all freedom can be.

Anyway I support this group. Guns aren't going away. I'm fine with them picking an important battle.

RMI

Banned
“White supremacy is essentially a fight to be the best treated dog in the kennel,” Shaun tells potential recruits. “It’s that way because a vastly small percentage of the population hordes access to resources and they’re able to do this because they’ve managed to get one half of the working class to turn against the other half in exchange for basically preferential treatment.”

Can't argue with this really.

Prozel

I didn't realize there were conditions to your statement.

The condition is that you had to consider systems that has actually been in use and not hypothetical ones? I am confused.

Neoliberal capitalism is all about the "the freer the market the freer the people" propaganda that only applies to yuppies in Silicon Valley. Sure, go tell that to the maquila women being overworked in Tijuana; the fast fashion workers in South Asia being exploited to dead literally; the cotton farmers in India that killed himself due to free market innovations. I could go on.

I think both you and I know what happened to children when they were forced out of sweatshops and had to find an alternative for an income.

So crony capilalism is a natural progression for you, eh?

Absolutely not. That's a horrible byproduct of capitalism and the state being too entrenched. Getting rid of the crony part would do wonders.

Top Bottom